Line Combos: "It Sucks When We Get Split Up" Eberle to Ralph

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
IMO, it has nothing to do with 'chemistry' and everything to do with #4. Whichever line Taylor Hall is on, that is the line that is generating offense and producing.

exactly, Eberle could have just come out and say "i want to play with T.Hall because thats the only way there is space for me"

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
:headache: Dear lord (for lack of a better phrase that won't get me an infraction).

Except it is not far from the truth. The poster was jesting I'm sure but his comment about oilers and how they treat descent is not that far out.

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
It's not...i mean it can't be...no there's no way....

Yeah, it's possible some people are reading waaaaay too much into that comment.

Exactly...all this comment did was throw the Eberle haters into a tizzy.

If anyone honestly thinks Eberle was intentionally dogging it because he wasn't with Hall, you need serious help.

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
Except it is not far from the truth. The poster was jesting I'm sure but his comment about oilers and how they treat descent is not that far out.

Even if Eberle was speaking in a disrespectful manner, which he isn't, it's towards the coach and not management.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003

Even thought the Oilers may not like dissent, it's a pretty big leap from Eberle's statement to "trade him for not towing the line"

Remember, it was in part due to the kids thoughts that Renney wasn't brought back and WIR got the job. I am sure each of them said similar things to the higher-ups during those conversations.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
What was Eberles statement? For those of us that didn't hear it. I've looked on the Oilers board and don't know what is being referenced.

Why not link or provide the statement in a discussion about the statement?

Psychoil

Mar 10, 2011
Hall-RNH-Eberle
MPS-Gagner-Yak

Let it ride all year, psuedo playoff run be damned. Let these six play together, period.

Dude I honestly love that, those are the perfect 2 lines! And have hemsky with horcoff and jones and then Smyth petrell and brown.

I swear those 2 lines would really help us a lot

Oil In My Veins

May 27, 2007
Vancouver
www.OilInMyVeins.com
What was Eberles statement? For those of us that didn't hear it. I've looked on the Oilers board and don't know what is being referenced.

Why not link or provide the statement in a discussion about the statement?

He said it in a post game interview, heard it on Ched in the post game show.

He basically just said that he feels they have a natural chemistry and that "It sucks when they always get split up."

I don't think he was trying to start anything, I think he was just being honest in how he felt about the question being asked.

McDavidson

#Jultzing
Mar 18, 2013
I think the “kid line” was given a fairly long leash at the start of the year. That being said, I still think you tell them, you get a 5 game stretch to impress us, if you start to go cold, for more than 2 games at a time, we will do what we want, they are the future of the franchise(have a chance to be anyways). Let them develop into what we think they should all be. Every time they get lazy or regress, or go cold, shake it up.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
I don't know where the OP got the quote, but it means what it means if this is what Eberle said. Fans can put a little too much into a simple quote like that and twist it into something it really isn't.

All he's saying is he likes to play with Nuge and Hall and it sucks balls when they aren't on the same line together. It's pretty obvious that they feel the chemistry as much as we see it when they play together.

I'm not crazy about the idea of taking that simple statement of fact and spinning it into "I don't like playing with other players" or "you better play us together Ralph...or else".

Hope everyone relaxes on any self entitlement questions or anything like that, because that is not where a quote like that is coming from at all.

These guys are just comfortable with each other. And Ralph taking them out of their comfort zone may have been the best thing for them.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
He said it in a post game interview, heard it on Ched in the post game show.

He basically just said that he feels they have a natural chemistry and that "It sucks when they always get split up."

I don't think he was trying to start anything, I think he was just being honest in how he felt about the question being asked.

Thanks, I looked on Oilers board, nothing, googled it and the first hit was back here..:D

Trouble I have with Eberle's comment is that if he had said this before last nights game everybody would be all over it. Does one good game as a line offer legitimacy to the comment. "sucks" is a pretty strong word. Not a clever thing to say imo.

As somebody earlier mentioned, "earn it".

Oil In My Veins

May 27, 2007
Vancouver
www.OilInMyVeins.com
I agree, they definately should have to earn their ice time.

I don't have a problem with them trying to earn it as a line though either.

One good game does not make a good line, but they've definately shown flashes of the potential for that line together and I don't have a problem with giving them some time to figure things out.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I agree, they definately should have to earn their ice time.

I don't have a problem with them trying to earn it as a line though either.

One good game does not make a good line, but they've definately shown flashes of the potential for that line together and I don't have a problem with giving them some time to figure things out.

The thing that strikes me as strange is that for quite awhile that kidline was not producing much and the line was actually broken up due to trying to spur some production.

In anycase, and I don't want to read more into it than that, but in a teamsport its an odd comment for Eberle to make.

Oil In My Veins

May 27, 2007
Vancouver
www.OilInMyVeins.com
The thing that strikes me as strange is that for quite awhile that kidline was not producing much and the line was actually broken up due to trying to spur some production.

In anycase, and I don't want to read more into it than that, but in a teamsport its an odd comment for Eberle to make.

Yeah I guess when you think about it, there may be better ways he could have responded to the question, but I think when you look at the whole situation, he's a young guy that was just being honest about how he feels playing with RNH and Hall.

As for their production, it almost seems that when they fisrt get put together that they are flying out there, and gradually things start to get a little stale.

It's kinda like they realize how well they can play together when they're split up, and get re-energized when they're put back together for awhile, then repeat cycle.

Halibut

Jul 24, 2010
Yeah I guess when you think about it, there may be better ways he could have responded to the question, but I think when you look at the whole situation, he's a young guy that was just being honest about how he feels playing with RNH and Hall.

As for their production, it almost seems that when they fisrt get put together that they are flying out there, and gradually things start to get a little stale.

It's kinda like they realize how well they can play together when they're split up, and get re-energized when they're put back together for awhile, then repeat cycle.

Definitely, it's like all the comments Horcoff has made and everyone gets excited saying he's slagging the kids or not including himself as part of the problem. If you are on the outs no matter what you say you cant win. We turn on everyone here eventually so with production down and no playoffs in sight no surprise Eberle is the latest target, despite very little change from how he played last year and only a marginal drop in production.

Honestly these guys should answer every question, no matter what it is, with a textbook cliche. "We've just got to give 110% every night and we're confident we'll make the playoffs"

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
Eberle comes off like a whiny, spoiled, entitled ***** just reading that... but then again I haven't heard the quote, only read it, so I may be missing the context.

Outside of last night, that line has been all flash and no substance the majority of the year. But if keeping Ebs together with his BFF's is what's needed to get him to play great than yeah, keep them together.

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
So, with Eberle making that quote after the game today, is he sending a message to coach Krueger that he better not split them up?

Is this a good thing for him to say publically or does it matter?

Frankly I'm glad he came out and said this and I hope Krueger is listening.

The kids need to stay together, they're turn over machines and have a natural chemistry on the ice.

Edit: and by kids I mean HAll - RNH - Eberle

(Mods feel free to move this if there's a thread going already I didn't see)

to me, it makes him sound like he needs to put on his big boy pants.

he spends a lot of the year playing poorly, of course the lines are going to be shuffled to try and find something that works.

basically, I think its something that should stay in the locker room. If he wants to get a message to Krueger, go knock on his office door. don't use the media for it.

I'm not going to get too worked up about it though, as I don't know the context.

Oil In My Veins

May 27, 2007
Vancouver
www.OilInMyVeins.com
Eberle comes off like a whiny, spoiled, entitled ***** just reading that... but then again I haven't heard the quote, only read it, so I may be missing the context.

Outside of last night, that line has been all flash and no substance the majority of the year. But if keeping Ebs together with his BFF's is what's needed to get him to play great than yeah, keep them together.

to me, it makes him sound like he needs to put on his big boy pants.

he spends a lot of the year playing poorly, of course the lines are going to be shuffled to try and find something that works.

basically, I think its something that should stay in the locker room. If he wants to get a message to Krueger, go knock on his office door. don't use the media for it.

I'm not going to get too worked up about it though, as I don't know the context.

Looking at the quote by itself I do think that's it's coming off the wrong way.

There's no denying what he said but I think the context of his comment is important.

If I remember correctly, he was just being asked about how he liked being back with Hall and RNH and about their chemistry, or something along those lines but I don't remember exactly how the question was asked.

After thinking a little more about it, I really believe that he may have just been answering the question in his mind, not calling the coach out in the media.

It just kinda stood out when you heard it because it's not the typical response that guys normally give.

@Halibut Yeah you almost get a sense of why they always give those answers.

McDavidson

#Jultzing
Mar 18, 2013
It’s funny when players give honest answers, everyone jumps on the guy. Erik Christensen was one of the best open interviewers and actually spoke his mind, everyone jumped on him for every word he said. Media and fans alike always try and jump on every quote and blow it up.

Psychoil

Mar 10, 2011
umm powerplay units.....so here's what i think

Eberle - Horcoff - Yakupov
Schultz - RNH

I just feel like yakupov down low is accurate enough to snipe a couple from in close, he has sick hands and a sick shot, so why not try him down there,

Jones/Hartikinen - Gagner - Hall

Hemsky - Whitney

Hall has his one timer on the half boards and gagner is down low on the left side while jones or harti are in front of the net. Hemsky can also try to find hall on the right half boards FROM the left half boards

Suxnet

Jan 4, 2012
Eberle has been spoon-fed minutes from the start of the season. 20+ minutes when he played like crap and same goes for Nuge. This organization has no idea what accountability is. I don't hate Eberle or RNH for it because they're not gonna say no when the stupid coaching staff wants them to play half the game even though they're playing poorly but this is how big egos and entitlement issues develop.

I mean just look at Smyth and Whitney. The 2 worst players on the team for pretty much the whole season and they pout when they finally get scratched. Well, they're both back to being terrible and getting undeserved icetime so, so much for that.

Kind of turned into a rant but that's yet another big problem that this club has and has had for a long time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad