Kings Article: It Still Hurts…But Take A Step Back Before Looking at the Jonathan Quick Trade

chris kontos

Feb 28, 2023
prior to the last 9 months, when was the last time the Kings traded away a 1st rd pick? I'll tell you, 5 years of keeping/drafting in 1st round.

Everyone says the Kings have too many prospects, need to use them as trade assets, isn't that what this is?

The team is sitting on top of the western conf, now is not the time time to hoard picks/prospects...I mean why do you guys act like you are so confused when you would be bitching and moaning had Blake NOT done anything. It's the goddamn #twilightzone around here.

So he could sign with another team at the end of the year and all the binky babies could bitch that Blake didn't get something for him?
Hey axle, i got 1000$ sez our boys dont win the conference..

Telos

In Gavrikov We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
Still watching the dust settle, but it definitely stings regardless. It is a complex deal with so many moving parts that have now been picked apart tirelessly, but ultimately, the problem isn't that Quick was dealt, although it was bound to feel like it in the emotional hours right after the trade. The problem with the trade is the timing (and how it was done) given Quick's status and the shock that management was willing to throw the first for rentals to make a postseason push right now. I guarantee if this was a deal for a long-term option that was guaranteed to help the team get better beyond this season the reaction would have still been very emotionally charged but a lot less severe.

This deal is extremely divisive and garners little love from any party that views it. There is no question that this trade makes the roster better right now until the end of this season, but this is a very large gamble by Blake that literally no one expected. Not the fanbase, not the media, and not even executives and personnel around the league. Literally, no one was expecting Blake to push valuable chips in the center to win this season. Everyone was expecting him to make the move for a Chychrun-type deal because the Kings are certainly in the ballpark and moving towards becoming a contender, but no one believed the window was now, except for Blake and Kings brass I guess.

The funny thing is their logic makes sense in that the team has put up a valiant fight. They have clawed their way into top contention in the West despite significant flaws in the roster. With just the basic/average goaltending of Copley, the team has the offense to still win games despite their weakness on defense. However, these significant flaws were seen as a reason by the fanbase and everyone else that they weren't ready, but to the management, this signaled that they were just a few steps away. They believe that the players on the roster deserve a reward for their play and efforts, and that by addressing and plugging those holes this speed boat could take off. Now obviously we are all skeptical, but I mean a trade with Columbus has had that effect on this team a couple of times before... But it does come off as a far greater gamble than the last two trades given the players' rental status and Gavrikov being very open about his desire to test the market. All in all, they are right that the team deserved some help and a reward for their play, I can understand their logic, but I don't think many would agree that reward would be making a contender's final deal of throwing away their first for a couple of rentals.

The issue with Quick is that it is still vague even though we now have a lot more pieces. We knew that Quick was upset but gracious and okay with the deal especially after he was traded to Vegas, can compete, and knows that his family doesn't have to move and his kids can remain in school, etc. We know that Blake handled it as best as he could in that the deal had to happen then and there with Columbus and he didn't wait. The timing sucked but he did the right thing in calling Quick and then Kopitar and Doughty immediately. Obviously, Kopitar and Doughty are sad but know the business and that it is time to compete, but there is also an unbreakable bond, Quick's number is going straight to the rafters after he retires, and he will be forever a King and will be treated like royalty in LA forever after the dust has settled regardless of the deal or anything that went down. Obviously, we haven't heard from Quick yet or his perspective, I am sure his presser is coming soon, but it sounds like he is doing okay.

The vagueness all lies in Jonathan's intentions. Robitaille said that last summer Quick indicated that he wants to play after this season, but wasn't clear if that had been discussed with him since. Obviously, this has changed since last summer in terms of Quick's performance and given he plays goal there is very little room to carry around a goaltender that isn't performing. Blake said he had spoken to Quick throughout the season, but didn't indicate about what and couldn't confirm if Quick was intending to continue or not.

This is where the fanbase is focused. Blake has stated that the likes of Brown, Carter, Quick, Doughty, and Kopitar, etc. had earned their say or to be at least communicated to about their future with the team. What surprised everyone is they believed that surely Quick knew the writing was on the wall and now being a couple months away from the end of his season and contract he was destined to have the fairytale ride out into the sunset like Brown and it was going to work out perfectly. But if Quick was determined to play after this season, neither the organization nor the fanbase was going to be okay with that regardless of his status, and Quick doesn't have any trade protections. It seems evident through Kopitar and Doughty's reactions that they, including Quick, were blindsided and didn't even expect this turn of events which means that Blake never hinted in any way shape or form that there was even a possibility they were exploring options or had a recent conversation with Quick in regard to his future. Sure, if Quick was hellbent and said I am playing fine and want to keep going for a couple more seasons, then absolutely nothing can be helped, but if Quick was planning to retire anyway in two months and wanted to retire a King...

That puts Blake between a rock and a hard place, but that is a lot more of a gray area to be in because an argument could be had that Quick has earned that. You can carry three goalies, you can still upgrade the goalie position without moving him. If they end up not utilizing this cap space it could be a deafening slap to the face.

So, there still is a piece of the puzzle to determining the correct emotional logic of the whole situation, and we will have no clue on the overall value of the trade until the season is over and we are able to see the results, but from the initial perspective of it all there isn't much to go on over the necessity of the diceroll and forcing and attaching Quick's name to it guarantees that this will be scrutinized to the N'th degree and will go down as one of the most memorable good or horrific trades in Kings history.

Last edited:

chris kontos

Feb 28, 2023
So do I, what's your point?
Well
Considering how convinced you appear to be that our boys(the los angeles kings) are going to go far in this years playoffs, i thought it might pique your interest to put your money where your mouth is
( if you need more of an explanation than that)

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
I’ve been critical of Blake the GM. I don’t think this team is a contender. But people are using this to pile on the “Blake is a heartless backstabber” wagon. In reality, I’m sure it was a difficult decision for him and he understood the magnitude which was confirmed by him calling Kopitar and Doughty after the fact. I’d say it’s likely he and Jarmo had that agreement to at least try to do right by him. I hate seeing Quick go as much as anyone but the reactions here for the most part have been a bit crazy. 10 years from now, we can all argue about it again with most of the Blake haters leaving out some important details like they always do.
I think trading Quick is fine from a hockey standpoint. I question giving up another 1st round pick for what right now is two rentals, when the team is not a real contender.

I was simply saying if you are Rob Blake, and you have traded Quick to Columbus, I think it might be logical to assume that Quick won't end up in Coluimbus. There was no reason for Jarmo to keep Quick, if he could get anything for him.

Nasti

Jan 30, 2006
Long Beach, CA
I think trading Quick is fine from a hockey standpoint. I question giving up another 1st round pick for what right now is two rentals, when the team is not a real contender.

I was simply saying if you are Rob Blake, and you have traded Quick to Columbus, I think it might be logical to assume that Quick won't end up in Coluimbus. There was no reason for Jarmo to keep Quick, if he could get anything for him.
Agreed on both points.

Still watching the dust settle, but it definitely stings regardless. It is a complex deal with so many moving parts that have now been picked apart tirelessly, but ultimately it just matters.

The problem isn't that Quick was dealt, although it was bound to feel like it in the emotional hours right after the trade. The problem with the trade is the timing (and how it was done) given Quick's status and the shock that management was willing to throw the first for rentals to make a postseason push right now. I guarantee if this was a deal for a long-term option that was guaranteed to help the team get better beyond this season the reaction would have still been very emotionally charged but a lot less severe.

This deal is extremely divisive and garners little love from any party that views it. There is no question that this trade makes the roster better right now until the end of this season, but this is a very large gamble by Blake that literally no one expected. Not the fanbase, not the media, and not even executives and personnel around the league. Literally, no one was expecting Blake to push valuable chips in the center to win this season. Everyone was expecting him to make the move for a Chychrun-type deal because the Kings are certainly in the ballpark and moving towards becoming a contender, but no one believed the window was now, except for Blake and Kings brass I guess.

The funny thing is their logic makes sense in that the team has put up a valiant fight. They have clawed their way into top contention in the West despite significant flaws in the roster. With just the basic/average goaltending of Copley, the team has the offense to still win games despite their weakness on defense. However, these significant flaws were seen as a reason by the fanbase and everyone else that they weren't ready, but to the management, this signaled that they were just a few steps away. They believe that the players on the roster deserve a reward for their play and efforts, and that by addressing and plugging those holes this speed boat could take off. Now obviously we are all skeptical, but I mean a trade with Columbus has had that effect on this team a couple of times before... But it does come off as a far greater gamble than the last two trades given the players' rental status and Gavrikov being very open about his desire to test the market. All in all, they are right that the team deserved some help and a reward for their play, I can understand their logic, but I don't think many would agree that reward would be making a contender's final deal of throwing away their first for a couple of rentals.

The issue with Quick is that it is still vague even though we now have a lot more pieces. We knew that Quick was upset but gracious and okay with the deal especially after he was traded to Vegas, can compete, and knows that his family doesn't have to move and his kids can remain in school, etc. We know that Blake handled it as best as he could in that the deal had to happen then and there with Columbus and he didn't wait. The timing sucked but he did the right thing in calling Quick and then Kopitar and Doughty immediately. Obviously, Kopitar and Doughty are sad but know the business and that it is time to compete, but there is also an unbreakable bond, Quick's number is going straight to the rafters after he retires, and he will be forever a King and will be treated like royalty in LA forever after the dust has settled regardless of the deal or anything that went down. Obviously, we haven't heard from Quick yet or his perspective, I am sure his presser is coming soon, but it sounds like he is doing okay.

The vagueness all lies in Jonathan's intentions. Robitaille said that last summer Quick indicated that he wants to play after this season, but wasn't clear if that had been discussed with him since. Obviously, this has changed since last summer in terms of Quick's performance and given he plays goal there is very little room to carry around a goaltender that isn't performing. Blake said he had spoken to Quick throughout the season, but didn't indicate about what and couldn't confirm if Quick was intending to continue or not.

This is where the fanbase is focused. Blake has stated that the likes of Brown, Carter, Quick, Doughty, and Kopitar, etc. had earned their say or to be at least communicated to about their future with the team. What surprised everyone is they believed that surely Quick knew the writing was on the wall and now being a couple months away from the end of his season and contract he was destined to have the fairytale ride out into the sunset like Brown and it was going to work out perfectly. But if Quick was determined to play after this season, neither the organization nor the fanbase was going to be okay with that regardless of his status, and Quick doesn't have any trade protections. It seems evident through Kopitar and Doughty's reactions that they, including Quick, were blindsided and didn't even expect this turn of events which means that Blake never hinted in any way shape or form that there was even a possibility they were exploring options or had a recent conversation with Quick in regard to his future. Sure, if Quick was hellbent and said I am playing fine and want to keep going for a couple more seasons, then absolutely nothing can be helped, but if Quick was planning to retire anyway in two months and wanted to retire a King...

That puts Blake between a rock and a hard place, but that is a lot more of a gray area to be in because an argument could be had that Quick has earned that. You can carry three goalies, you can still upgrade the goalie position without moving him. If they end up not utilizing this cap space it could be a deafening slap to the face.

So, there still is a piece of the puzzle to determining the correct emotional logic of the whole situation, and we will have no clue on the overall value of the trade until the season is over and we are able to see the results, but from the initial perspective of it all there isn't much to go on over the necessity of the diceroll and forcing and attaching Quick's name to it guarantees that this will be scrutinized to the N'th degree and will go down as one of the most memorable good or horrific trades in Kings history.
With how the trade deadline goes, it’s not always possible to have a nice sit down and cup of tea with the player to talk about eventually being dealt. Quick didn’t have a NTC. There were likely other teams trying to acquire Gavrikov, in fact, we know there were. All of this is being blown out of proportion.

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
Well
Considering how convinced you appear to be that our boys(the los angeles kings) are going to go far in this years playoffs, i thought it might pique your interest to put your money where your mouth is
Where did I say that?

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Axl you got an opportunity to make some money. Take him up on a deal. You get your wish. I’d love to see you to back up your “convictions”. Let’s go bro. Bet him.
103A716E-4BC4-4D42-9817-C7E15736C382.gif

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
Well

Who the hell would make a bet on a single team to do that in hockey? Talk about a sucker bet. I wouldn't even bet $1000 that Colorado will make the WCF, too much can go wrong in hockey.

If I were to bet $1000 to win $6000 if Colorado made it, then I would think about it. Even though that's below current odds.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Who the hell would make a bet on a single team to do that in hockey? Talk about a sucker bet. I wouldn't even bet $1000 that Colorado will make the WCF, too much can go wrong in hockey.

If I were to bet $1000 to win $6000 if Colorado made it, then I would think about it. Even though that's below current odds.
You’re not willing to stake out 50 bucks for fun? Sheesh. You must be fun at Vegas.

Reactions: chris kontos

Schrute farms

LA Kings: new GM wanted -- inquire within
Jul 7, 2020
i was just in vegas last week and put some money down on the Kings to win the WCF and make the SCF. Just for fun, nothing big. But i thought i'd get better odds than i did: 8-1.
Yes, I didn't have the balls to make it them winning the SC.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
You know

The more I look at it

The more this looks like Management but AND/OR ownership saying we need playoff revenue, future be damned.

Makes today's moves--with no ultimate 'big move'--look less like 'well blake was trying to clear cap for a big fish and just decided not to go for it' and more like cost-cutting with the bottom line in mind.

All that being said, I feel oddly more optimistic that Gavrikov may stick around after this season. he gets a role more cut out for him on a team that's a challenger/should at least see the playoffs for the forseeable future, will probably get a fair deal commensurate with his abilities, and, importantly, is landing with an organization that's a class act and clearly family friendly (see: Danault). Maybe he doesn't like the big city, maybe he wants to be closer to home, maybe he's got a good friend elsewhere--but I do feel like, all other things being equal, I've give Blake credit for creating an environment that would enable us to make a fantastic push for signing him outside of universal x-factors that we couldn't control. In short, the devil you know is better than the one you dont--and if he likes his time here I doubt he's going elsewhere over 500k.

Reactions: Schmooley and Telos

AbsentMojo

F-ing get up and hunt! Cmon Todd!
Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
You know

The more I look at it

The more this looks like Management but AND/OR ownership saying we need playoff revenue, future be damned.
I agree - it looks to me like moves to win a round (maybe 2) and save $1,000,000... i didnt think this was the year to go for it, but im happy they got better and they didnt destroy the cache of assets.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
You’re not willing to stake out 50 bucks for fun? Sheesh. You must be fun at Vegas.

Who said anything about $50? It was a ridiculously silly bet for $1000. I'm not beyond betting that much, but on stuff like that? I'd be broke. Gambling to prove a point or to show someone up is stupid. Gambling to make money is not.

And I'm plenty of fun in Vegas :D

You know

The more I look at it

Makes today's moves--with no ultimate 'big move'--look less like 'well blake was trying to clear cap for a big fish and just decided not to go for it' and more like cost-cutting with the bottom line in mind.

All that being said, I feel oddly more optimistic that Gavrikov may stick around after this season. he gets a role more cut out for him on a team that's a challenger/should at least see the playoffs for the forseeable future, will probably get a fair deal commensurate with his abilities, and, importantly, is landing with an organization that's a class act and clearly family friendly (see: Danault). Maybe he doesn't like the big city, maybe he wants to be closer to home, maybe he's got a good friend elsewhere--but I do feel like, all other things being equal, I've give Blake credit for creating an environment that would enable us to make a fantastic push for signing him outside of universal x-factors that we couldn't control. In short, the devil you know is better than the one you dont--and if he likes his time here I doubt he's going elsewhere over 500k.

I think he'll stay around too, I got that feeling right away.

I don't know about future be damned though, it's a single 1st round pick for two guys who are in their prime ages. Seems more opportunistic and a calculated risk to me.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Who said anything about $50? It was a ridiculously silly bet for $1000. I'm not beyond betting that much, but on stuff like that? I'd be broke. Gambling to prove a point or to show someone up is stupid. Gambling to make money is not.

And I'm plenty of fun in Vegas :D

I think he'll stay around too, I got that feeling right away.

I don't know about future be damned though, it's a single 1st round pick for two guys who are in their prime ages. Seems more opportunistic and a calculated risk to me.
It can be a bet of any amount. Don’t get hardstuck on a random number

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
So...he shouldn't fix the mess, then? Just let it lie there forever? Leave it as a festering problem for the next GM?
No, but when the dog is chewing on the furniture because he hasn't been fed in a week, let's not heap praise on the owner for finally putting food in the bowl.

• Haha
Reactions: kingsholygrail

chris kontos

Feb 28, 2023
So...he shouldn't fix the mess, then? Just let it lie there forever? Leave it as a festering problem for the next GM?
The point is it should have never happened. With proper handling of draft picks and judicious treatment of ahl players and the kings active roster this could have been handled in a more timely and better manner for the team, the management and all concerned. I guess its easy for me to say that now, but i remember what i read about dean lombardi’s opinion of blake and it damn sure hits the nail right on the head.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
The point is it should have never happened. With proper handling of draft picks and judicious treatment of ahl players and the kings active roster this could have been handled in a more timely and better manner for the team, the management and all concerned. I guess its easy for me to say that now, but i remember what i read about dean lombardi’s opinion of blake and it damn sure hits the nail right on the head.
Yeah, things with the roster could have absolutely been handled in a better manner. And you are right, it's easy to say that now - it's called hindsight. And it's absolutely no different than any other team. If you think Blake is poor, you should visit some other boards like Philly and see what they think about their management. You can always do things better, but if you get 70% right you are doing a bang-up job as a GM.

I don't think Blake is the best at it or top-5 or anything, but overall, at all aspects, he's above average. Just because the org can do things better doesn't mean that other organizations aren't making mistakes. We could do a lot worse. They still should get called out when they make stupid decisions that everyone else sees are wrong, but it's better they come around and fix them eventually than being stubborn and not changing anything.

You really think Lombardi's opinion of Blake is accurate? You realize he said:

"it basically comes down to a good man and work ethic"

"I was amazed at how universally respected he is. It wasn’t anything political, he’s just held in such high regard in so many facets of our business that it’s a real tribute to him and the type of reputation he’s built and the person throughout his career"

"Intelligence to me is asking the right questions, not having the right answers, and it came very natural to him. Not a lot of top players are willing"

"whether it’s general mangers, equipment guys, players, there was nobody who doesn’t hold this guy… I can’t find one blemish on this guy. Not only not a blemish, but how highly in esteem he was held."

Are you sure you aren't getting DL mixed up with someone? All he's ever done is gush about the guy.

Reactions: Axl Rhoadz

chris kontos

Feb 28, 2023
Yeah, we could be stuck with chuck fletcher or god forbid, marc bergevin. Or even worse- me. I think cheveldayoff in winnipeg has done a great job in a small mkt. Its just extremely frustrating to watch an obvious need go un addresed for as long as it has. I
Wonder where mike futa is …

Last edited:

WHOneedsSOX

Mar 1, 2015
Gotta see where it might go with extensions.

Blake did what he had to do but it sucks for Quickie. Communication should have been better.

Would have to think this is Quick’s last chance at staying in the league. I hate to talk negative about him and I don’t know where it went off the rails this year. Players just seem to see a lot of net on him currently.
I would be surprised if Quick played again next season. He's going to move away or move his family somewhere for 1 year? And then he's not even good anymore. So he'll have to work out all summer for a PTO on some shitty team?

It was sort of rumored that if Quick stayed with Columbus they were going to give him the option to not report to the team.

Reactions: LAKings88

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad