Speculation: It sounds like John Carlson is willing to test NHL free agency

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Love the :sarcasm: Seeing that Carlson is an American from Mass.

Moved to Jersey as a kid. I think he might end up a Devil, they have the space and the need for him.

If I'm the Caps GM I offer 8 x 8 and if he says no, shake his hand and ask him his ring size so they can have it for him on his first visit back.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
You might as well see what teams will offer you to use in negotiating with the Caps. There are quite a bit of incompetent GM’s in this league.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
In general, when a middle aged veteran player like Carlson has a career year significantly above their career average in a UFA contract year, the player and team tend to part ways. The team that had had the player for years now tends to know them a bit better and have a better understanding of their flaws why exactly they won’t sustain that performance over the course of a long term contract. Meanwhile, team who ends up signing them in UFA tends to be mesmerized by their performance in that season and believe that they are truly a player of that caliber, and that filling a hole with that player will lead to victory.

It usually leads to a mutually beneficial situation where both parties agree that moving on is the right move, while the team that signs the player in UFA takes a major loss. I don’t see why John Carlson will be all that different, although I do think Carlson is much more effective than the majority of UFAs who get overpaid in long term deals.

BurnEmUp

Feb 27, 2009
This seems like a Stamkos situation last year. I think in the end he re-signs with the Caps before July 1st after gauging interest from other teams.

In the end it's been his home for about 10 years, they are a perennial contender, and nobody else can offer him that 8th year which is a serious ace in the hole.

Just as an example, if the Caps are willing to give him $80,000,000 ($10,000,000 AAV) for any other team just to match the total they have to give him an AAV of $11,428,571). That's just to match, you'd think they'd have to beat the Caps offer pretty decently to get him to uproot his family.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
If he leaves WSH, I have a hard time seeing him getting back to a SCF.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
In general, when a middle aged veteran player like Carlson has a career year significantly above their career average in a UFA contract year, the player and team tend to part ways. The team that had had the player for years now tends to know them a bit better and have a better understanding of their flaws why exactly they won’t sustain that performance over the course of a long term contract. Meanwhile, team who ends up signing them in UFA tends to be mesmerized by their performance in that season and believe that they are truly a player of that caliber, and that filling a hole with that player will lead to victory.

It usually leads to a mutually beneficial situation where both parties agree that moving on is the right move, while the team that signs the player in UFA takes a major loss. I don’t see why John Carlson will be all that different, although I do think Carlson is much more effective than the majority of UFAs who get overpaid in long term deals.

Not sure this fits.
55 points in 14-15
39 in 56 in 15-16
Last year goes shonky, 37 in 72. I don't remember if it was injuries or Orpik, or both, but he definitely carried a boat anchor on his pairing.
Now, is 68 maybe a potential career high going forward. It's definitely possible, I just think 28 is a little young to write the season off as anomalous or guarantee it to be their peak. Especially depending on what kind of chemistry he develops with whatever defensive partner he adopts moving forward, I genuinely don't know the last season in which John Carlson played with another legitimate top pairing defenseman, if one ever existed.

there were musings about how John Carlson might one day stick his nose in the Norris voting dating back to his AHL days, I think it's very possible that the Capitals see this as him playing like they know he can, fully engaged and accompanied by literally anyone not named Orpik or Alzner. I have my own reservations about how this whole contract thing goes down, I think whoever signs Carlson in the end isn't necessarily going to get doped on that contract unless they just keep feeding him new Orpiks to carry.

artilector

Jan 11, 2006

Shhh, we got people over in Caps' land on the verge of a heart attack at the thought of this possibility.
Don't you understand, Carlson plays 20m, PK and PP, on a ... Cup Winning Team! He's loved in the locker room! He's a right-handed unicorn!
Say you didn't mean it!

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
On a serious note, exactly how much (max) would people want their team to offer Carlson, if/when he hits UFA?
Any good teams would be willing to offer him > 7x8M? What about 7x8.5M?

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
MY guess is he wants to drive up his AAV then sign an 8 year deal with the caps

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
This article has no proof, just some idiot speculating. Title should be changed to "Random Idiot X Thinks Carlson Will Test Market"

cyris

On a Soma Holiday
Dec 6, 2008
3rd Planet From Sun.
Of course he is going to test the market.
He is a just over a week away from seeing what kind of offers he will get, why wouldn’t you listen at this point. He is a top pairing RHD, almost every team needs one and they almost never come available.

That said just because he listens it in no way means he is going to leave.
He is in a great situation with Washington. They obviously give him a great chance to win another cup, they have the cap space to make a strong offer and can give more term than any other team.

I don’t think he is going to leave but you have to see what is out there at this point.

WJCJ

Sep 27, 2017
Moved to Jersey as a kid. I think he might end up a Devil, they have the space and the need for him.

If I'm the Caps GM I offer 8 x 8 and if he says no, shake his hand and ask him his ring size so they can have it for him on his first visit back.

I think there are more Ranger and Flyer fans in New Jersey than Devil fans, at least it seems that way. So I am throwing the Rangers and Flyers into the mix.:laugh: Of course if he already was a hockey fan before he moved to NJ he could be going to Boston, or you know, going home to TO, or just staying in Washington.

Last edited:

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
This article is sourced entirely on the one comment, "there's more to it than that". Which means his agent is handling it. Contract negotiations are stalled it says. They are not. Its widely reported that the Caps want him back and he wants to stay. The Canadian hockey media like Friedman are all guessing he stays with Washington. For a contract like this one GM MacLellan waits for the salary cap to be set before he gets down to serious numbers. This situation is identical to what happened with TJ Oshie last off season and you see where he signed.

Go back to the clip and see where he says that Washington, "...is all I know"

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
I think there are more Ranger and Flyer fans in New Jersey than Devil fans, at least it seems that way. So I am throwing the Rangers and Flyers into the mix.:laugh: Of course if he already was a hockey fan before he moved to NJ he could be going to Boston, or you know, going home to TO, or just staying in Washington.

one of his relatives told me he loves Wash. wants to stay. If he doesn't, NJ Bos and one other team, I think it was Chi. This was early in the season, so things change. He was pretty adamant about not going to NYRS and Philly but who knows what winning the cup and getting a brinks truck backed up to your house does!

WJCJ

Sep 27, 2017
one of his relatives told me he loves Wash. wants to stay. If he doesn't, NJ Bos and one other team, I think it was Chi. This was early in the season, so things change. He was pretty adamant about not going to NYRS and Philly but who knows what winning the cup and getting a brinks truck backed up to your house does!

Definitely. On some level I still think Washington is going to have the upper hand as long as they can afford his cap hit. I don't realy know anything though, I just imagine how special winning a cup is and how there is a pretty good chance that you would want to stay with that club.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00