OT: The sky above the port was the color of television, tuned to a dead channel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
One hour at a time, buddy.

I'm trying my damnedest to take the highroad. We took the kids to an event tonight together and I bought her a drink and fed the kids. She was shocked and amused. I also swung her some things to The Cell (as I've dubbed the new room) for her week, all with a smile and nod. Given how she had a meltdown earlier in the week when I asked if she could bring me some critical items that got left in the car (my wallet, my phone, my school ID)... I think she was expecting me to be adversarial. It's so f'ing weird. But that's what happens in these situations.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I'm trying my damnedest to take the highroad. We took the kids to an event tonight together and I bought her a drink and fed the kids. She was shocked and amused. I also swung her some things to The Cell (as I've dubbed the new room) for her week, all with a smile and nod. Given how she had a meltdown earlier in the week when I asked if she could bring me some critical items that got left in the car (my wallet, my phone, my school ID)... I think she was expecting me to be adversarial. It's so f'ing weird. But that's what happens in these situations.

Oh the stories I could tell.

Just keep going back to “doing the right thing is always the right thing.”

You are less likely to regret being the bigger person, especially when you look back on things 5+ years later. Being petty feels good in the moment, but that feeling rarely stays long.

ColonelForbin

Oct 10, 2006
Anyone living in WNY with Directv? Have had several Sabres games "blacked out" this year, which has not been the case in prior years.

beerme1

Jun 27, 2011

WTF is all this?

Granted I've not read this thread form page 1 but I will someday.

Howie Hodge

Zombie Woof
Sep 16, 2017
Buffalo, NY
Well now... anti-vertigo meds are kicking it old school in my head. In the last two weeks I've been perpetually experiencing vertigo. They don't know if it is concussion related. Good times.

In other news, the wife and I are splitting, which a few of you already knew and some may have suspected. 20 years and done. I don't think either of us get a watch or a plaque or anything.

Sorry to hear, but you got 6 more years than I did! :thumbu:

50% odds - so it's not uncommon.

Hang in there, let the kids know you love them by spending time with them, they'll be fine.

Good luck with your physical health also...

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Anyone living in WNY with Directv? Have had several Sabres games "blacked out" this year, which has not been the case in prior years.

I’ve seen you post this in a couple places. Have you called Dish yet? I know I would be hounding them relentlessly until I get an answer.

ColonelForbin

Oct 10, 2006
I’ve seen you post this in a couple places. Have you called Dish yet? I know I would be hounding them relentlessly until I get an answer.

Yeah sorry to spam. Directv customer service says the games are blacked out. MSG networks' website sort of says the same thing. You can search what content is available by entering zip code and cable/dish provider. All the Sabres' games show up for Time Warner/Spectrum etc., but are absent for Directv.

That's why I'm so curious if anyone else with Directv living in WNY is getting the games. Seems ridiculous all the games would be blacked out locally. Wonder if it's related to their recent merger with AT&T.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Yeah sorry to spam. Directv customer service says the games are blacked out. MSG networks' website sort of says the same thing. You can search what content is available by entering zip code and cable/dish provider. All the Sabres' games show up for Time Warner/Spectrum etc., but are absent for Directv.

That's why I'm so curious if anyone else with Directv living in WNY is getting the games. Seems ridiculous all the games would be blacked out locally. Wonder if it's related to their recent merger with AT&T.

I used to get weirdness when I had DirecTV back in the day where the Sabres games would get blacked out if the Rangers were on after the switch to MSG.

If you are in the Sabres broadcast area, the Sabres shouldn't be blacked out.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Sorry to hear, but you got 6 more years than I did! :thumbu:

50% odds - so it's not uncommon.

Hang in there, let the kids know you love them by spending time with them, they'll be fine.

Good luck with your physical health also...

Thanks. The stats are sobering - almost 70% of divorce is initiated by the wife, of those 80-ish% are women on the verge of or in menopause. Once separated, reconciliation is 1-in-5.

My children are awesome and my intention is to continue to be a great dad, regardless of how living arrangements look. We're double nesting or co-nesting where the kids stay in one location and she and I rotate every week. It's a bit soft so far - we had a family meal on Friday together, then spent Saturday afternoon all together, plus part of yesterday at the movies. We have a meeting today as well.

I'm trying to overcome the vertigo when I work out by keeping a bunch of it on the floor. If I'm going to worry about falling, it may as well be while already laying down. Warm up walk followed by ab work and I'm ready for the day.

Reactions: Jim Bob

Mike McDermott

blah blah blah
Apr 23, 2006
Lockport
I used to get weirdness when I had DirecTV back in the day where the Sabres games would get blacked out if the Rangers were on after the switch to MSG.

If you are in the Sabres broadcast area, the Sabres shouldn't be blacked out.
When I had them a while back, it was often blacked out in the standard MSG inlew of what ever other sport they were playing and put it on a special "Buffalo" channel that was only on during games that weren't on standard MSG.

Reactions: Jim Bob

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
We got our first (of two) Cribs on Saturday. Trying to buy used where we can to save some $$. My wife's OB-GYN said that after 28 weeks with Twins, things can go from being great to "we're having a C Section tomorrow" very fast. We're at 22 weeks now and have basically nothing other than some onesies.

Wife is taking her boards on Friday and home for the week studying. After that we're flying down to SC for the wife's baby shower two weeks later.

Oh yeah, my wife also has to start applying and interviewing for her post fellowship job. Shit's about to get cray cray in the doak house.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
We got our first (of two) Cribs on Saturday. Trying to buy used where we can to save some $$. My wife's OB-GYN said that after 28 weeks with Twins, things can go from being great to "we're having a C Section tomorrow" very fast. We're at 22 weeks now and have basically nothing other than some onesies.

Wife is taking her boards on Friday and home for the week studying. After that we're flying down to SC for the wife's baby shower two weeks later.

Oh yeah, my wife also has to start applying and interviewing for her post fellowship job. ****'s about to get cray cray in the doak house.

Good luck.

1point21Gigawatts

hell's a gigawatt?
Apr 7, 2010
The future

Oh yeah, my wife also has to start applying and interviewing for her post fellowship job. ****'s about to get cray cray in the doak house.

Will they be your first?

1point21Gigawatts

hell's a gigawatt?
Apr 7, 2010
The future
Wow, starting out of the gates with twins. My hat is off to you.
My wife and I just made it one year with our daughter and i'll tell you it was one amazing year - and fast too. Your first year will probably move 3x the speed.

Speaking from recent experience - the first month is the hardest, but it gets easier after that. Enjoy every second of it, even the grueling exhausting moments. Your babies will always be a joy no matter how big they get, but you'll miss when they were so small you could hold them effortlessly in one arm and they grow out of that stage so quickly.

Good luck to you and your wife!

Reactions: brian_griffin

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
Hey Chain, praying for ya buddy. And so sorry to hear what's happened. My wife and I have been together 42 years. It hasn't been easy but we both made a commitment long ago and we do still love each other. But the relationship has changed... some might say evolved.... over the years as we've aged, grown and changed. The ability to adapt and our commitment to put our partner's needs in front of one's own has proved critical. I don't suspect there are many on this board but both of us becoming committed Christians at this late point in our lives has helped our marriage tremendously. No lectures from here. Just feeling your pain and wanting to offer you both hope that all things are possible.

Brass Bancroft

Oct 14, 2008
Buffalo

I have DirecTV and live in WNY. I haven't watched all the games but don't recall games being blacked out. How old is your dish?

ColonelForbin

Oct 10, 2006
I have DirecTV and live in WNY. I haven't watched all the games but don't recall games being blacked out. How old is your dish?

The dish is about two years old. Do you remember the last game you were able to watch?
You get them on MSG-B channel 635-1?

BowieSabresFan

Nov 18, 2010
Hey Chain, praying for ya buddy. And so sorry to hear what's happened. My wife and I have been together 42 years. It hasn't been easy but we both made a commitment long ago and we do still love each other. But the relationship has changed... some might say evolved.... over the years as we've aged, grown and changed. The ability to adapt and our commitment to put our partner's needs in front of one's own has proved critical. I don't suspect there are many on this board but both of us becoming committed Christians at this late point in our lives has helped our marriage tremendously. No lectures from here. Just feeling your pain and wanting to offer you both hope that all things are possible.

Having “only” been married 31 years, I think these are wise words. Wife being sick lately has complicated things, but still...

And Chain, taking the high road is always the right thing to do. Good luck with all that. I mean it.

Reactions: brian_griffin

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
Will they be your first?
And second :sarcasm:

My paternal grandmother had 7 single births from age 23 to 33, then fraternal twins at age 36 and lastly triplets at age 37. My uncles were the only triplets ever born in that hospital (closed a few years ago).

Good luck Doak. Got an in-law / family visit schedule lined up for after the deliveries? You'll appreciate the cooking / cleaning / laundry, even if it's token amounts, and only a couple days here and there.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chainshot

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

I thought we had excellent communication. Turns out I was mistaken, per what she's said to me recently. We have grown over time and yet what she has revealed to me indicates she's had issues for a while. Neither of us are without blame in this. I would have prefered her being straight with me months if not years ago.

Having “only” been married 31 years, I think these are wise words. Wife being sick lately has complicated things, but still...

And Chain, taking the high road is always the right thing to do. Good luck with all that. I mean it.

I'm trying. She consistently tries pushing my buttons and today unfortunately I let her. Bleh. Despite a verbal exchange in the car after a family mediation session, I still set up a new wireless router for her at the new place and made accommodations around her transportation as well for a second straight day. The high road and being a patsy seem to run parallel. :biglaugh:

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co

Congrats on "only" 31. You guys are part of a rather exclusive "club" these days! And very sorry to hear about your wife's illness. Will add you both to my reflections.

My wife and I have also discovered/encountered just how important "in sickness and health" and "for better or worse" are in the big scheme of life. It's a lot tougher going thru these times (which are inevitable) alone or w/o someone to share them with. Gotta view it as a journey that's just gonna have all sorts of ups and downs along the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad