OT: The sky above the port was the color of television, tuned to a dead channel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
No big reveal party? I'm imagining you revealing purple and confuse the people that:

a. Don't understand that "red" (pink) and blue make purple.

b. Don't know you're having twins and now think you are having a hermaphrodite.

We were thinking of doing two "reveals" or something of that sort. But...in the end, all of our family are several hours away. It'd take a lot of coordination and cost to get people together to do a reveal or get some sort of "remote" reveal going.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
We were thinking of doing two "reveals" or something of that sort. But...in the end, all of our family are several hours away. It'd take a lot of coordination and cost to get people together to do a reveal or get some sort of "remote" reveal going.

Two words: Facebook Live

;)

Congrats, BTW.

I have a cousin who's first full term pregnancy was twins that were a boy and a girl.

It was a bit of a miracle because of a variety of health issues that she could be really happy with one pregnancy and being done with having kids.

Digable5

Buffalo Proton (Positively Charged)
Feb 23, 2004
West Seneca
Yeah, I agree with @Jim Bob ’s suggestion of Facebook live. My brother in law did it about a year ago. If not live, you could just record it and send it.

My kids were born before this was a thing, but if it does interest you there are plenty of ways to do it from afar.

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
So, we found out the genders of our twins:

One Boy and One Girl.

We're going to some speciality shop in Philly this afternoon to look at strollers because the local "big box" baby store was about as helpful as a toe wart. Man what a racket baby stuff is though. Pretty sure if i ever start my own business, it'll be some highly marked up baby contraption that I will guarantee not to give your baby swine flu.
What a way to go! Congratulations and good luck.

Reactions: BowieSabresFan

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
And in the realm of "things I haven't done in _____ years", Portland has started to rack up a couple of items in that blank.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Wrapping up my time in Portland. Time for the redeye back east.

I needed the break. I met a friend for a meal, sat and talked about life in and around my trevails but beyond that as well. It was existentially refreshing.

Oh, and also vegan strip clubs.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Wrapping up my time in Portland. Time for the redeye back east.

I needed the break. I met a friend for a meal, sat and talked about life in and around my trevails but beyond that as well. It was existentially refreshing.

Oh, and also vegan strip clubs.

So i'm confused. Are the strippers vegan? Do they serve vegan food? Don't use leather clothes for anything?

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
Both my wife and I have visited Portland (separately, before we were married). We both loved it. Good energy to the city, not too big, not too small. The Columbia river valley is gorgeous. Excellent beer in the region. The Oregon coastline is the most beautiful one I've seen in my limited travels. One could pick a far worse place to live a life. Only downside is traveling I-5.

Reactions: Fezzy126

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Both my wife and I have visited Portland (separately, before we were married). We both loved it. Good energy to the city, not too big, not too small. The Columbia river valley is gorgeous. Excellent beer in the region. The Oregon coastline is the most beautiful one I've seen in my limited travels. One could pick a far worse place to live a life. Only downside is traveling I-5.

The toughest part about any potential move once the kids are grown and gone is that any place that we might move to will likely have much more expensive housing options than our house in Rochester.

Reactions: Chainshot

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
The toughest part about any potential move once the kids are grown and gone is that any place that we might move to will likely have much more expensive housing options than our house in Rochester.
Yeah, but your combined City / County / School property taxes will likely drop by several hundred dollars per month, and you'll be "buying" / paying a mortgage on an asset which will appreciate a higher incremental amount each year for identical rates of appreciation in the two locales.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Yeah, but your combined City / County / School property taxes will likely drop by several hundred dollars per month, and you'll be "buying" / paying a mortgage on an asset which will appreciate a higher incremental amount each year for identical rates of appreciation in the two locales.

That's great, but it still won't make up the gap.

If you look at places like Austin or Portland, a comparable house to ours that cost around $130k is probably $300k+.

I've looked.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
It’s kind of strange being near but not in the path of hurricane Michael. Low clouds just flying past right now.

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
I’ve had an interesting week. Fell at work yesterday, which led to a persistent headache. Went to get checked out today; they put me in a neck brace and had me do two ct scans. Results negative but I’m on workman’s comp the rest of the week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad