It is time to start chanting fire Blashill at the Joe

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
After this trainwreck it is time...people going to games need to start chanting Fire Blashill. Holland is way too stupid to do it on his own. But with fans getting restless at games and more and more empty seats maybe just maybe he might wake up if people start chanting during home games.

Or we can chant fire Holland I am up for either.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
What makes this trainwreck that much different than the other trainwrecks we've seen all season?

Not to say that I disagree with firing Blashill.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
This team struggled with Babcock, too. Arguably teams with more talent.

Blashill hasn't generated the boost we hoped for, but he's a victim of circumstances. At best he makes this a bubble team.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
I just hope the casual fans don't expect a turnaround like what happened with Pittsburgh. Oh god

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I just hope the casual fans don't expect a turnaround like what happened with Pittsburgh. Oh god

Yeah, the idea that Babcock was somehow the glue of the streak is, well, pretty short-sighted. Babcock had the benefit of a healthy Datsyuk, Zetterberg, and Kronwall and even then the team would barely squeak into the playoffs a few years. Did we really forget that?

Babcock also laid the institutional foundation for the contracts to Abdelkader and Helm. Some people find those deals agreeable, but many of us do not. It was Babcock's authority that kept these guys playing top line minutes and continues to do so today.

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
That would require actually going to the games. So no.

Yeah. I personally won't support this team for now as I disagree with the direction that the ownership and management have set.

I stopped watching games on TV to give them ratings (i have other methods...), I stopped wearing wings gear and took the red wings license plate cover off of my car.

Once they (imo) get their heads out of their ***** I will be fine with giving them free advertisement again, and would be proud to support them. I want a clear path laid out to building a cup contender again, none of this sign a bunch of vets long term to remain perpetually mediocre to push for an 8th seed ********.

And no, I'm not some kind of bandwagoning casual that stopped liking them because they're bad now. I'd support them being bad under the right circumstances. Ill continue to watch every damn game I possibly can, even if i absolutely hate everything about the state of the franchise. I just care too much to stop watching lol.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Yeah. I personally won't support this team for now as I disagree with the direction that the ownership and management have set.

I stopped watching games on TV to give them ratings (i have other methods...), I stopped wearing wings gear and took the red wings license plate cover off of my car.

Once they (imo) get their heads out of their ***** I will be fine with giving them free advertisement again. I want a clear path laid out to building a cup contender again, none of this sign a bunch of vets long term to remain perpetually mediocre to push for an 8th seed ********.

You would rather watch that Coyotes crap which is even worse?

They are rebuilding in a "right" way and play absolute disgrace of hockey.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Yeah, the idea that Babcock was somehow the glue of the streak is, well, pretty short-sighted. Babcock had the benefit of a healthy Datsyuk, Zetterberg, and Kronwall and even then the team would barely squeak into the playoffs a few years. Did we really forget that?

Babcock also laid the institutional foundation for the contracts to Abdelkader and Helm. Some people find those deals agreeable, but many of us do not. It was Babcock's authority that kept these guys playing top line minutes and continues to do so today.

Babcock isn't in power. But he brainwashed holland. And we really have no idea how much control blash has

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
I liken this to blaming a waiter at a restaurant for your food being terrible and demanding he be fired for it.

Spot on. I think it's unrealistic to expect Blash to make the lineup he was given a contender. At this point he needs to groom the younger players to take the next step, and I think he's done well with that. When I see guys like AA, Matha and Larkin regressing then I think it's time for a change.

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish

Once they (imo) get their heads out of their ***** I will be fine with giving them free advertisement again, and would be proud to support them. I want a clear path laid out to building a cup contender again, none of this sign a bunch of vets long term to remain perpetually mediocre to push for an 8th seed ********.

And no, I'm not some kind of bandwagoning casual that stopped liking them because they're bad now. I'd support them being bad under the right circumstances. Ill continue to watch every damn game I possibly can, even if i absolutely hate everything about the state of the franchise. I just care too much to stop watching lol.

Just out of curiosity, what would constitute the "right" circumstances of being bad?

Your admitted actions are the very definition of bandwagon, btw. It's not like we have a Bill Wirtz, ala Chicago, situation where ownership shows patent malevolence toward the fans to turn people away.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Babcock isn't in power. But he brainwashed holland. And we really have no idea how much control blash has

Babcock set the framework for all the roster decisions and lineups we've seen, is my point.

If you're a younger, fresh coach like Blash, do you come in and completely change the setup the "best coach in the NHL" left behind? Particularly when your employer, Holland, wanted Babcock to stay?

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Babcock set the framework for all the roster decisions and lineups we've seen, is my point.

If you're a younger, fresh coach like Blash, do you come in and completely change the setup the "best coach in the NHL" left behind? Particularly when your employer, Holland, wanted Babcock to stay?

Even if he wants to. Would holland let him?

RedWingsfan55

Jan 5, 2015
Holland is the one that needs to go.

Not saying blashill is good. But it's hard to coach a team seriously lacking in talent. So he rewards glenndenning for his hard work and hustle. Least he tries out there....

Now if mantha and aa would get the same reward....

Shoalzie

Trust me!
May 16, 2003
Portland, MI
Holland needs to go first. He's responsible for this train wreck.

The forward group isn't all that bad but the lack of moves to make their blue line better...that's Holland's biggest mistake. I don't even think Babcock could do better with this team. This team just isn't good enough to be in the top 8 this year.

I don't get the sense Blashill can get this group to over-achieve. Hank is a pro and a good captain but he can't carry this team on his back like he's done in the past when they need someone help save their playoff streak.

Missing the playoffs might be the best thing for this franchise. If not to just get a high draft pick but you want to see Holland's roster construction to be called into question. The only way any significant change would happen at the top, they need to fail.

ap3x

Jan 31, 2014
Stockholm
Spot on. I think it's unrealistic to expect Blash to make the lineup he was given a contender.

Yeah, it's unrealistic. That's why nobody expects anything like that. Don't know why this straw man is still in use. Expecting a coach to get more out of this team isn't equal to making 'em a contender.

At this point he needs to groom the younger players to take the next step, and I think he's done well with that. When I see guys like AA, Matha and Larkin regressing then I think it's time for a change.

I disagree that he's done well with the young guns. They play good despite Blashill & his stupid personal decisions & distribution of IT lately. Don't see anything speaking in favor of him being the reason for them playing good. All of them came in & directly delivered.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
I liken this to blaming a waiter at a restaurant for your food being terrible and demanding he be fired for it.
Right, because the waiter is responsible for how the ingredients in your meal are prepared and cooked /sarcasm

I sincerely hope and think Blashill will be fired. Our roster has issues but Blashill is doing the team no favors. A powerplay with Zetterberg, Green, Nyquist, Tatar, Mantha etc. should not struggle to get a shot on goal against the worst PK in the league. A player like Lashoff shouldn't be a regular on a team whose biggest issues are lack of puck movement and offensive ability from the D. Riley Sheahan shouldn't be able to nearly half a season without a goal and basically get his minutes increased.

And that's ignoring all the little details that can be improved by a smarter coach and better system. People way, way underestimate the impact a coaching change can have. 0-8-0 when trailing after two periods. We could ice a team with 23 Luke Glendenings and that stat wouldn't be okay.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad