It is time for a new points format. 3 points for Regulation win.

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
A shootout/3on3 is an idiotic way to decide a winner imo

I am okay with the 3 on 3 in overtime during the regular season, since it has a decent chance of deciding the game and is still something that resembles hockey. However, I completely agree about the shootout -- it's like deciding a basketball game with a free throw shooting contest or a football game with a field goal kicking contest. The shootout should go away. Besides, it takes away from the excitement we all used to feel when a penalty shot was awarded during the game, since we see it way too often in the shootout, where it used to be a rare sight.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Yes, it is a loser point. The final score of an OT or SO game shows the winning team with one more goal/ point than the losing team. The standings heading even confirms it -- OTL = Overtime Loss.

No matter how you try to paint it, when the fans walk out of the arena after an OT/SO game they think their team has either won or lost the game. Rewarding the losing team is idiotic.

Lots of fans fail to realize when looking at the standings that OTL is really a loss. I had a co-worker who would insist a team had a winning record if they were, for example, 12-11-8. No, the team won 11 games and had lost 19 times -- that's not even close to a winning record.

Quick look at the standings says that in a 31 team league we have just 6 teams under .500

That's dumb.

Last edited:
Reactions: Whalers Fan

NobleSix

High Tech Low-Life.
Apr 20, 2013
CyberSpace
www.ilovebees.co
Either remove the loser point or introduce the 3 point format.

NHL wont do that though. They love the parity. The parity situation the league is in standings wise is exactly what the league wanted when they introduced the loser point.

Don't count on anything changing.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Im more inclined to want the loser point to go away, you either win or lose.
Not for me. Cause it would be like the NBA taking players off for their ot, which they don't do or baseball where they removed an outfielder and infielder from the defense to create more openings for hitters in extra innings. Not the same.

That's why 3 vs 3 in ot should be worth less than winning in regulation.

Miss the days when there was the same number of points awarded each season. With 30 teams there were 1260 games means 2520 points. Now, its all over the map in the 2600 plus range. This doesn't distort historical records?

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Not for me. Cause it would be like the NBA taking players off for their ot, which they don't do or baseball where they removed an outfielder and infielder from the defense to create more openings for hitters in extra innings. Not the same.

That's why 3 vs 3 in ot should be worth less than winning in regulation.

Miss the days when there was the same number of points awarded each season. With 30 teams there were 1260 games means 2520 points. Now, its all over the map in the 2600 plus range. This doesn't distort historical records?

From a league that allows spaghetti flex sticks and mattresses for goalie pads, I don't think preserving historical records is high on the priority list.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
I do not consider a team to have an above .500 record unless they have more wins than losses plus loser points -- no matter what the NHL tries to tell me.

.500 could also mean point percentage, but that doesn't necessarily translate to a winning record.

stranger

Jan 18, 2015
MN
Each game should give out the same number of total points regardless of what system you come up with. The notion of games giving out a different number of total points based on different results is wrong.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Each game should give out the same number of total points regardless of what system you come up with. The notion of games giving out a different number of total points based on different results is wrong.
I think the 3 win and 1 draw system would work fine. The NHL's appraoch is just flawed.

Butch 19

Go cart Mozart
May 12, 2006
Geographical Oddity
A shootout/3on3 is an idiotic way to decide a winner imo

Do you have a better idea how to determine a winner? (not including never-ending OT or even 10 minute OT, because we all know these will NEVER happen during the regular season)

and definitely do not say tie game and go home (because we all know this will never happen either)

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Do you have a better idea how to determine a winner? (not including never-ending OT or even 10 minute OT, because we all know these will NEVER happen during the regular season)

and definitely do not say tie game and go home (because we all know this will never happen either)

Just like 0 points for OTL or 3 points for a regulation win will never happen.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
League's true best teams aren't given a chance to separate themselves from the pack.

Three points should be given out every game.

3 points for regulation win.
2 points for overtime/shootout win.
1 point for overtime/shootout loss.
0 points for regulation loss.

Not to mention the overtime format should be changed to 10 minute overtime. 4 on 4 until 6:00 remaining - next whistle it goes to 3 on 3. Shootout after this if no goal is scored. NHLPA won't like it, but fans will love it. Shootout has to stay for the "casual" fan because they often go to games and hope for a shootout.

No thanks.

How about two points for a win. Zero points for a loss, the end.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad