It is going to be alright.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
no disrespect to you either.

But just because things get perpetuated here by some very very vocal posters doesn't mean it is common sense.

In fact I'd say that common sense is severely lacking here.

I can count on one hand trades in the last 10 years for ANY team that set an org back years.

A player in OUR system who was a fringe NHLer (Disclaimer: Depres is a good player, and may be a star or at least a horse for a team, but with us, we (wrongfully) treated him like a fringe player and so his impact on our team was brief and not always positive) being traded for another defensemen 1 for 1 is not going to set back our organization years.

Shero drafting and developing 0 players in his stay here is what has hurt the pens short and longer term. And even then it's not going to set us back years. It's just silly that because people post **** over and over and over others think it is now "common sense".

It's not. It's not close. It's overly dramatic and sensationalist, but that's what happens when sports and the hivemind meet.

So you don't see any correlation between our ability to get out of the 2nd round and Shero's drafting and development? If you do, then it did indeed set the organization back years.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
no disrespect to you either.

But just because things get perpetuated here by some very very vocal posters doesn't mean it is common sense.

In fact I'd say that common sense is severely lacking here.

I can count on one hand trades in the last 10 years for ANY team that set an org back years.

A player in OUR system who was a fringe NHLer (Disclaimer: Depres is a good player, and may be a star or at least a horse for a team, but with us, we (wrongfully) treated him like a fringe player and so his impact on our team was brief and not always positive) being traded for another defensemen 1 for 1 is not going to set back our organization years.

Shero drafting and developing 0 players in his stay here is what has hurt the pens short and longer term. And even then it's not going to set us back years. It's just silly that because people post **** over and over and over others think it is now "common sense".

It's not. It's not close. It's overly dramatic and sensationalist, but that's what happens when sports and the hivemind meet.

Ninja edit: People claiming positive posters here are Burkle or Moorehouse or DK.... Grow up

And reading comprehension goes a long way, no disrespect back at you.

I never said the Despres trade will ruin this org. I'm not even sure how you came to that conclusion with my post.

My post made it pretty clear this team continues to keep kicking the can down the road to try and win now, without properly building this team.

There is a fine line between being positive and drinking the same Kool-Aid regurgitated from this org. When they finally do commit to building the right way, then we can start hoping things turn around. Until then, it's foolish as hell to assume they will finally get things right because... you want them to?

This org long ago lost the benefit of the doubt.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I'll never be bad about the Neal trade. Hornqvist + a solid bottom 6 winger? Yes. And as for Perron, I think the team just needs to allow him to have a proper camp and find the center he works best with. Still ok with that move as well.

lucasjb

Oct 23, 2014
Perron got a first. Neal is a much better player than Perron.

Nashville was picking 11th that year. Even if it was Hornqvist and swapping our 1sts for Neal, I think this team is ultimately better.

Nice moving the goal posts, your post said it should have been Neal for Hornqvist and a 1st round pick, not swapping firsts. The Perron trade isn't comparable. I'm with Honor Over Glory, I still like both those trades.

zero8771

Jun 15, 2012
And reading comprehension goes a long way, no disrespect back at you.

I never said the Despres trade will ruin this org. I'm not even sure how you came to that conclusion with my post.

My post made it pretty clear this team continues to keep kicking the can down the road to try and win now, without properly building this team.

There is a fine line between being positive and drinking the same Kool-Aid regurgitated from this org. When they finally do commit to building the right way, then we can start hoping things turn around. Until then, it's foolish as hell to assume they will finally get things right because... you want them to?

This org long ago lost the benefit of the doubt.

Sorry. I quoted you and replied to you and then just continued to talk on.

Sometimes I get on a roll

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
No, it's not going to be alright. That's the sad reality of it all. This team doesn't recognize or acknowledge its problems. It genuinely thinks this group is set to contend for a Cup.

No. It's not going to be alright. We're going to toil in the swamps of mediocrity until Sid and Geno retire, and we're going to waste picks and prospects along the way. Maybe Lemieux knows something we don't, and he's playing the long con. Maybe the next-next Crosby will be gifted to us in 2025. :laugh:

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Sorry. I quoted you and replied to you and then just continued to talk on.

Sometimes I get on a roll

Sometimes I quote myself and disagree with myself. Then get angry at myself, but I'm not always sure which self is right, so I feel you.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
We tried to get Nashville's 11th overall pick. We had a deal lined up with Colorado that would have gotten us the 23rd pick, so it was going to be Neal+22nd+23rd for Hornqvist+Spaling+11th. Nashville didn't want to deal their pick.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
We tried to get Nashville's 11th overall pick. We had a deal lined up with Colorado that would have gotten us the 23rd pick, so it was going to be Neal+22nd+23rd for Hornqvist+Spaling+11th. Nashville didn't want to deal their pick.

So, Rutherford gave up an asset and didn't maximize like he has his entire career and we still have to hear people defend it because Hornqvist put in some goals in the playoffs.

The trade was at it's best even. When you are trading a player like Neal you should get more than two role players, even if one of those is really ****ing good at what his role is.

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
No, it's not going to be alright. That's the sad reality of it all. This team doesn't recognize or acknowledge its problems. It genuinely thinks this group is set to contend for a Cup.

No. It's not going to be alright. We're going to toil in the swamps of mediocrity until Sid and Geno retire, and we're going to waste picks and prospects along the way. Maybe Lemieux knows something we don't, and he's playing the long con. Maybe the next-next Crosby will be gifted to us in 2025. :laugh:

Given that the three teams that finished ahead of them in the Metro and the Blue Jackets won't lose much in UFA (plus the Pens' abysmal record in their own division), it will be interesting to see whether the Pens would be sellers next year if they don't make the playoffs. It's no longer a given that they will do so given the strength of the division, the dead weight that will likely stay on this roster, the inability to make meaningful trades (unless they're going to trade 87,71,29,58,72, although I guess we could trade 51 for a veteran defenseman), and the small number of NHL difference-makers in the pipeline. So rebuilding the pipeline could start as soon as next year.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010

And that trade was Paul Martin I believe. Plus, if I am to believe their hype of Kapanen, they would have taken him anyway. So Neal+22nd+Martin for Hornqvist+Spaling+Kapanen. Personally, I'd much have preferred to trade Martin for 23rd and just taken both picks.

They really need to explore moving Sutter at the draft.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
And that trade was Paul Martin I believe. Plus, if I am to believe their hype of Kapanen, they would have taken him anyway. So Neal+22nd+Martin for Hornqvist+Spaling+Kapanen. Personally, I'd much have preferred to trade Martin for 23rd and just taken both picks.

They really need to explore moving Sutter at the draft.

Agreed on Sutter. I think he could get us back into the first, maybe a middling pick if we add.

Daeni10

Kunitz was there
Dec 31, 2013
Cologne
No. You can't trade Dumo now. Not with Despres gone.

While I agree with you what would you add then? Harrington? Would be the same problem. I feel like we dont have that many prospects left. Maybe Bennet if you can find a good winger then. I dont know which team would trade a mid first round pick for Sutter and a prospect which probably never gonna make it

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $220.00