It is going to be alright.

Scuz39

May 30, 2004
I am a perpetual lurker but I wanted to send up a few comments on the Pens to conclude the season.

I really think everyone is being way to hard on the team. We challenged a good Rangers team while missing 4 of our top 5 defensemen. That is just insane. Particularly when our system is based on puck moving defense men and we are missing our 3 best ones. Letang going down was the end of our playoff hopes but look at the before and after when Maata went to the IR and you can see how much losing him affected us too.

I know people want us to be younger but when I look at our team I don’t see the same gaping issues. Our Defense is very good and has the young piece to support it for the next decade. Offensively, now that our bottom 6 is solid we really just need one more piece for the top 6 and we are a top competitor for a cup next year.

Retooling takes time and we are in a much better position than we were in last year. If we move one of Scuds/Kun/dupers and let martin/adam walk and put that money toward a winger while making strong signing for the bottom 6 how can’t you be excited about the team that leaves us with? That isn’t something you could say last year when the holes where everywhere.

Cups are not our birthrite. In a salary cap era it just isn’t that way. Our core (Malkin, Crosby, Letang, Fluery) is signed up long term with favorable contracts. We are going to have some great runs and some low points. Try enjoying the ride :).

Penguinator

Kesselator
Sep 17, 2014
Space
@OP

Don't generalise as we aren't ALL being too hard. The most pessimistic people will probably eat crow early next season whith a healthy roster anyway...

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
@OP

Don't generalise as we aren't ALL being too hard. The most pessimistic people will probably eat crow early next season whith a healthy roster anyway...

Early Season Results: They Matter. ™

Been said many times around here. Quite a few people with complaints, it's all rooted in a repeated inability to really compete in the playoffs. Most years we will not win the Cup and lose in the playoffs -- that's true of all teams. It's not true that all teams with our level of talent will repeatedly flame out in the first or second round of the playoffs. Or play Jerome Iginla at LW. :laugh:

But nothing wrong with being positive. OP I hope you're right and we cut some dead weight and all our D stay healthy next year, and all that stuff. But I wouldn't bank on it.

Last edited:

cheebatree

May 28, 2009
Altoona Pa
I'm with you on this. I didn't have high hopes for us this year, but did expect better defensive play in the playoffs + no self destructive tendencies. I saw that, and was pleased. The inability to score was frustrating to watch. But hopefully a few appropriate off-season moves will correct that. I feel much better about Fleury, and with consistantly strong goaltending and smarter D-play (when the right Defensemen aren't injured) I like this first step in what seems to be the right direction.

Whether MJ is the right coach, I don't know. Rutherford made some good moves and some very questionable moves. If the Babcock rumours are true and we can get him, YES DO IT! If that doesn't come to be, please give MJ a little slack and lets see waht he can do. I think the worst thing for any team in any sport is inconsistancy at the coaching position and the front office.

joeyjake5

Feb 23, 2014
Its going to ok. Let's trade SD for LJ. Now I am optimistic.

Next trade will be Horny for Lupul. Can't wait for that one.

And You have a coach who still thinks scuds is a shut down D.

Oh, yea can't wait for next season for more of the same. :handclap::handclap::handclap::handclap:d

Steve Durbano

Mar 27, 2011
Burbs of Bmore
I wonder if Burkle and Mario took notice of the declining ticket demand and empty seats for most of the year.

All those corporate bandwagoner seats go empty at the first sign of trouble. Maybe it will provide a little kick in the a.. to improve this thing.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
tumblr_mia1ybHXuQ1rl3565o3_250.gif

GET IT?!?!

caps

Iron Mike

May 7, 2012
I am a perpetual lurker but I wanted to send up a few comments on the Pens to conclude the season.

I really think everyone is being way to hard on the team. We challenged a good Rangers team while missing 4 of our top 5 defensemen. That is just insane. Particularly when our system is based on puck moving defense men and we are missing our 3 best ones. Letang going down was the end of our playoff hopes but look at the before and after when Maata went to the IR and you can see how much losing him affected us too.

I know people want us to be younger but when I look at our team I don’t see the same gaping issues. Our Defense is very good and has the young piece to support it for the next decade. Offensively, now that our bottom 6 is solid we really just need one more piece for the top 6 and we are a top competitor for a cup next year.

Retooling takes time and we are in a much better position than we were in last year. If we move one of Scuds/Kun/dupers and let martin/adam walk and put that money toward a winger while making strong signing for the bottom 6 how can’t you be excited about the team that leaves us with? That isn’t something you could say last year when the holes where everywhere.

Cups are not our birthrite. In a salary cap era it just isn’t that way. Our core (Malkin, Crosby, Letang, Fluery) is signed up long term with favorable contracts. We are going to have some great runs and some low points. Try enjoying the ride :).

I see two gaping holes in our top-6 with no way to fill them. We could try free agency, but is there anyone that we could realistically target if we cleared space? We would be insane to rely on Dupuis and Kapanen will only be rookie. He is best suited for the third line starting off. We lost to the Rangers because we could not score, not because of injuries to our defense.

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
At OP

Appreciate the optimism but the way I'm feeling now is that one ********* trade at the deadline not only sets us behind years, it was a piece that was part of a resurgence of good young players coming up that could have certainly in a couple of years (if he was given a chance!!) put us in Stanley Cup contention. Despres at 26 will be better than he is now, and we were only a couple of years away of seeing it here rather than Anaheim.

It's not going to be ok, because our front office is a clown show. It doesn't know how evaluate talent (Despres/Lovejoy) and it doesn't know how to develop prospects. It's a PR machine worried about marketing a brand and couldn't be bothered trying to build a SC contender.

JBose7

Jun 7, 2013
I dont think thigs will change until the front office corrects the problems with developin players thru the system and the coaching staff being ok with allowing players to learn in important minutes. Every thing this season they did shows me they still dont get that. So they'll keep overpaying for players ( has opposed to allowing young players with a set low salaary to grow into the same role) Their attitude and mindset is infuriating. I'm checking out now before JR runs us into the draft lottery.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
It isn't going to be alright and anyone thinking that Jim Rutherford can do anything besides peel this team apart one player at a time is joking themselves.

Hornqvist is an amazing player, but for Neal we should've been able to get Hornqvist and a 1st.

Despres trade is absolutely terrible.

Perron deal is fine, but some stipulation of being able to move that pick to 2016 if we missed the playoffs should've been added.

Winnik was stupid.

Bortuzzo for Cole is the only good trade and Agnew is probably responsible for that.

Shwag33

May 27, 2008
It isn't going to be alright and anyone thinking that Jim Rutherford can do anything besides peel this team apart one player at a time is joking themselves.

Hornqvist is an amazing player, but for Neal we should've been able to get Hornqvist and a 1st.

Despres trade is absolutely terrible.

Perron deal is fine, but some stipulation of being able to move that pick to 2016 if we missed the playoffs should've been added.

Winnik was stupid.

Bortuzzo for Cole is the only good trade and Agnew is probably responsible for that.

Only in your fantasy land.

Bennett Brauer

May 1, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
I agree, I don't think it's as bad as many on here think. For example, I don't think Despres for Lovejoy set us back by years :laugh: it all depends on how the other guys pan out but with Letang, Maatta, Pouliot, Cole, Harrington, Dumoulin, etc. We can afford to lose Despres, even for such a bad return like Ben Lovejoy, is it ideal? No, but this isn't Forsberg for Erat, I know Pens fans think it is, but it really isn't.

I don't know if anyone can be unhappy with Hornqvist. He makes things happen for us, a good compliment to Sidney Crosby. I loved James Neal but the fact remains that he didn't give his best every game, I even saw it with Nashville, how slow he looked at times, that is a series where I'm sure they wish they had Hornqvist.

David Perron isn't a bad player at all, you can't blame Rutherford for where we ended up in the standings for that pick to be 16th overall. I'm sure if he thought this team was picking 16th, the trade wouldn't have been made, but we had one or 2 top 6 caliber wingers at the time and we wanted another one to replace Dupuis. Perron wasn't some rental, he's a younger winger with 20-30 goal potential signed to another year. It sucks that we lost Maatta and Dupuis for the season, adding Letang and Ehrhoff to that later, but that isn't Rutherford's fault and imagine this team with all 4 in the lineup.

My only complaint with Rutherford is the Despres trade and looking at the big picture, Cole for Bortuzzo made that trade easier. Ideally you look to get more for Despres or keep both Despres and Cole but we didn't, and I won't dwell on it.

I think every other move Rutherford made were good moves at the time and will prove to be good moves for our future. I think Cole will be a suitable top 4 defenseman, Lapierre is the best 4th line center we've had since Talbot, better than Vitale and Goc (in my opinion anyways)

Feel free to remain pessimistic and disagree with me, but I'm looking forward to next year hitting the restart button on an unhealthy, unlucky season. Looking forward to seeing Letang, Maatta, and Dupuis back, hopefully seeing Kapanen come in and be successful, we have a bright future believe it or not.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
It should be all right. The stars, the hard part, is in place and likes it here. The problem is getting the best out of them and putting the right players around them.

They also have to understand that every offensive play cant run through them and thats where I think this team gets in trouble.... They means the Pens S much as Crosby and Malkin. There needs to be a lure away from them. Like another player that can skate, handle the puck and has some poise. I alway thought Sullivan was great at that but the Pens got him when he was older. It doesnt even have to be another superstar but a guy like Frolik or Zubrus would work because they have that underlining skill to their game and can make plays.

Ill get killed for this but I still like Kunitz and want him on the team. IMO the Crosby line looked great in the playoffs and so did Kunitz. I think it was because they were allowed to be aggressive and play below the face off dots. Kunitz gets in trouble when he has to back off and F3. His forte is being down low and around the net. You take that away from him and hes not the same player.

Malkin need some speed around him and he hasnt really had that as a Pen. Comeau is a good fit for some grit but Perron isnt IMO. Im hoping the Pens can make a pitch for Burmistov. His speed, puck get and skill is exactly what Malkin needs.

The bottom six is pretty bad. Laps had a great playoff and thats about it. They play with no pace. Those bottom lines need to buzz, get the fans going and energize the team. Hits and fights should be there too but there has to be an attitude on that bottom six that hasnt been there since Cooke, Max and Rupper were around.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010

Okay they challenged the Rangers but still lost in 5. Sure the D hurt but they also CHOSE to trade Despres for Lovejoy which made their transition game significantly worse and they did that trade knowing Maatta was out for the season. So they can't use Maatta (or Dupuis for that matter since Perron used Duper's cap space) as an excuse. They built a team knowing those 2 were out and the team they built sucked offensively.

Our defense is not very good. It has some nice young pieces with potential, but trading one of 2 NHL proven youngsters for a bottom pairing veteran really hurts their pairs next year. If they don't re-sign Martin or add another top 4 vet:

Maatta-Letang
Dumo-Cole
Pouliot-Lovejoy
Chorney

Very good top pair if healthy (which is a big question mark), unproven 2nd pair with potential, and decent bottom pairing with potential. I would go that route because they desperately need cap space up front and finally need to transition to the youngsters, but if one of Maatta-Letang goes down things look ugly. And that's only if you buy out Scuds. If not, our D is even slower. Plus that D is fairly soff.

Are they actually retooling? Please show me the evidence of them retooling. The only evidence I have is Neal for Hornqvist/Spaling which is likely a net loss even though I love Horny and 1st for Perron which I like long term.

Moving one of Scuds/Kunitz/Duper is not enough. They need to rid themselves of at least Scuds and Kunitz. Duper I wouldn't mind sticking around if healthy. The problem is the team will likely be up against the cap and will need to rely on Duper. If he can't go then they will have to LTIR him and then try to replace him via trade.

Who said cups were our birthright? The fans aren't frustrated just because of playoff disappointments. We are frustrated because the moves this team has made over the years has actually hurt their chances to win Cups both now and in the future.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
No disrespect to the OP, because I'm all about positivity. However, common sense has to prevail here. We have had similar threads to this every season after the Pens have flushed another year of Crosby and Malkin down the toilet with inept mgmt.

Two summers ago after another embarrassing playoff exit, we were told by a coach who should have been fired, about his plans to play Despres and BB in more prominent roles. Never happened.

Last summer we were told directly from the top that this org needed to get younger, faster and harder to play agt. Never happened.

It's an org that has ignored their generational talents and their is no real long term vision. It's all about the current season and throwing **** at the wall and hoping Crosby and Malkin can make it into a mural worthy of Picasso.

ObsessedCreative*

Well I guess we all know the user name David Morehouse posts under...

zero8771

Jun 15, 2012
No disrespect to the OP, because I'm all about positivity. However, common sense has to prevail here. We have had similar threads to this every season after the Pens have flushed another year of Crosby and Malkin down the toilet with inept mgmt.

Two summers ago after another embarrassing playoff exit, we were told by a coach who should have been fired, about his plans to play Despres and BB in more prominent roles. Never happened.

Last summer we were told directly from the top that this org needed to get younger, faster and harder to play agt. Never happened.

It's an org that has ignored their generational talents and their is no real long term vision. It's all about the current season and throwing **** at the wall and hoping Crosby and Malkin can make it into a mural worthy of Picasso.

no disrespect to you either.

But just because things get perpetuated here by some very very vocal posters doesn't mean it is common sense.

In fact I'd say that common sense is severely lacking here.

I can count on one hand trades in the last 10 years for ANY team that set an org back years.

A player in OUR system who was a fringe NHLer (Disclaimer: Depres is a good player, and may be a star or at least a horse for a team, but with us, we (wrongfully) treated him like a fringe player and so his impact on our team was brief and not always positive) being traded for another defensemen 1 for 1 is not going to set back our organization years.

Shero drafting and developing 0 players in his stay here is what has hurt the pens short and longer term. And even then it's not going to set us back years. It's just silly that because people post **** over and over and over others think it is now "common sense".

It's not. It's not close. It's overly dramatic and sensationalist, but that's what happens when sports and the hivemind meet.

Ninja edit: People claiming positive posters here are Burkle or Moorehouse or DK.... Grow up

systemsgo

fire mj
Apr 24, 2014

Hi, I appreciate your positive outlook, it's a nice change from some of the doom and gloom (which I partake in) but I think we need to be more realistic.

You know, if our entire roster was healthy, assuming we play Bennett over Adams and Wilson, and our 6D are 58,7,3,10,12&4.

That Maatta and Bennett would be the only 2 players under 25? Perron, Spaling and Sutter (26) be the only other ones younger than Sid. The same Sid that the media loves to describe as "past his prime". We need to get younger.

Retooling takes time and we are in a much better position than we were in last year. If we move one of Scuds/Kun/dupers and let martin/adam walk and put that money toward a winger while making strong signing for the bottom 6 how can’t you be excited about the team that leaves us with? That isn’t something you could say last year when the holes where everywhere.[

I don't think you'll find anyone disagreeing that retooling takes time. But this team did not retool this year. The most glaring trades would be trading Despres for "experience", and trading draft picks for Winnik at TDL. These are moves that say - "hey we're a cup contender", you're giving up futures for what helps you in the short term.

The doom and gloom isn't because the team is terrible and we should blow it up, it's because of the management and how they focus on the now and not bother with building a better team in the long run. And years later, we're still in the same place.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00