Post-Game Talk: It goes to a SO Jets lose 6-5

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Ehlers is simply awful right now. Zone entries are important, but if you waste one that doesn't hit the net or turn it over what is the point? He's making cutesy, ill advised passes that are santa Lucia quality pizzas. How many of his shots are getting blocked?

Between his injuries and his inability to raise his game when it matters, I'd consider moving him in the offseason.

I know he was injured and is behind the curve in terms of systems adoption and he doesn't have his top end speed, but right now it's all between his ears and I don't know if that will ever change.

I said it before but Bowness' big mistake was playing Rittich in the islanders game. Not because Rittich was bad (you have to score to win) but because Hellebuyck never has his A game when coming back off of rest and though I don't think he was bad last night he wasn't great.

We need Lowry to play the way he played last night every game. He's a physical catalyst and when he's involved that way all elements of his game are better. He also lifts his line and team up.

Stenlunds first goal was ugly but the second goal was a laser. Let's hope to good this is the start of something for him - I've always expected him to score more.

Maenalanen has been god awful since he returned from injury. I think like Lowry he needs to play physically to be effective and I think his injury is preventing that (shoulder)?

Barron looks so close to breaking out, I think there's a really solid middle 6 winger there but I hope he figures it out soon.

I thought the D was fine in this game. Some bad luck and a really unfortunate whoops by Snerg at the worst possible time.

I'll say it again: Josh Morrissey HAS to be the captain of this team. I wouldn't wait, id stitch that mf'in letter to his jersey right now.

The Blue Baron

Nov 13, 2015
Hoser Country
Lurch? As in the guy posing as our 3c and sometimes even 2c, who actually is a 4c. The guy who for some reason is on the 2nd pp unit. As in the guy who hasn't score a goal since Dec. 11th who is getting paid over 3 million a year? He has been one of our problems most the year, not one of our solutions.
He puts in the effort, not his fault the coaches do what they do. I see the effort but limited ability.

Reactions: hn777 and SUX2BU

FonRiesen

Sep 28, 2017
Vancouver Island
B-amyloids, sick pets, electric chainsaws, cheap optics, elevated systolic pressure,
Hey, electric chainsaws are pretty awesome - quieter and no toxic fumes, far lower maintenance, far easier to start, and some models are just as powerful as gas - at least all you need for cutting our tiny Manitoba trees.

RE: OT - LA was doing a pretty good job of getting in KFC & Chief's shooting lanes. The problem with OT is if you take a low percentage shot, it's a big chance of a turnover going the other way.

I wasn't, however, impressed at all with the lack of movement on the PP all game. LA's PK gets some credit, and we failed to adjust.

Injuries are hurting us right now - I can't believe we're 5 points away from missing the playoffs, though. Silver lining, it's good to deal with this kind of adversity before the trade deadline so Chevy doesn't get too tempted to trade away 1st round picks or anything...

UFO

Mar 14, 2022
Switzerland
on a positive note, since Niederreiter's arrival the Winnipeg Jets are far more present in the media in Switzerland. a few co-workers approached me and were like: "hey, ain't that your team Nino has moved to? "

Needless to say they are lowbrows regardless, since they hadn't known the Jets before. :D

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
He puts in the effort, not his fault the coaches do what they do. I see the effort but limited ability.
I mean how many guys can make two bodychecks without a stick to help clear the zone. That's a Lowry special. His assist on Stenlund's goal sure looked like a skilled play. I mean former Norris defenseman, he beats him on the puck, holds the puck, creates space with patience, and waits for the right angle to sauce a perfect pass on to Stenlund's stick. Lowry can play, coaches know he is a good player.

He got beat by a guy with over 1100 points in the NHL on a tough draw and deflection. And the 4th Kings goal was a tough play, where Pionk takes his man out, but Lowry and Dillon looked like they were both expecting each other to cover the middle of the ice, and the second delay gave Kopitar a clear path to the net.

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
hopefully nino and pld can be a handful for teams and open up some ice for ehlers to do his magic also should add 2 forwards and take saku/kuhlman/gagner out of the lineup
Does Ehlers have any magic left? Throughout his career he’s shown incredible skills and abilities, but he’s often made bone headed decisions. Now, if he’s lost a step due to his injury he’s probably playing the worst hockey of his career.

Reactions: Jets 31 and Jet

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
He really needs to play with someone with good offensive skills or offensive IQ. Lowry just ain't it at 2C and has shown he is incapable of centering a line with skilled linemates. The opening up space idea is always good in theory, but those players still need offensive IQ/skills to be in positions to take a pass, and actually scoring on a prime opportunity. Agreed, hopefully PLD is back Friday. I think Nino will become a fan favorite fast given his propensity to hit, shoot and score.

hopefully nino and pld can be a handful for teams and open up some ice for ehlers to do his magic also should add 2 forwards and take saku/kuhlman/gagner out of the lineup

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
7cvtnf.jpg

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
And this is how the last 20 games will slowly go. Us and the Flames limping our way to the finish line.

Yep. It’s like 2015 (2016?) in reverse — seem to recall us racing the Flames right to the finish and winning out. Two ragged squads giving hope to their fan bases.

Fastforward to 2023…

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
Barron was Khulman'd on multiple occasions last night. Put an actual NHL player with him and he might produce.

Agree. Barron had himself a game. Had he been playing with a guy with speed and some hands and some high-end perkiness; say, a guy he might have played with in the A who was waived over KK…

GreatSaveEssensa

The Dark Side Of The Goon
Feb 16, 2016
Manitoba
Effort? This isn't Pee Wee hockey and there are no participation awards. This is the NHL and he is making multiple millions to perform and contribute. Three months without a goal with the amount of ice time he gets is beyond unacceptable. It’s a results driven league and he just hasn't had any positive results.

Reactions: The Blue Baron

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Ehlers is simply awful right now. Zone entries are important, but if you waste one that doesn't hit the net or turn it over what is the point? He's making cutesy, ill advised passes that are santa Lucia quality pizzas. How many of his shots are getting blocked?

Between his injuries and his inability to raise his game when it matters, I'd consider moving him in the offseason.

I know he was injured and is behind the curve in terms of systems adoption and he doesn't have his top end speed, but right now it's all between his ears and I don't know if that will ever change.

I said it before but Bowness' big mistake was playing Rittich in the islanders game. Not because Rittich was bad (you have to score to win) but because Hellebuyck never has his A game when coming back off of rest and though I don't think he was bad last night he wasn't great.

We need Lowry to play the way he played last night every game. He's a physical catalyst and when he's involved that way all elements of his game are better. He also lifts his line and team up.

Stenlunds first goal was ugly but the second goal was a laser. Let's hope to good this is the start of something for him - I've always expected him to score more.

Maenalanen has been god awful since he returned from injury. I think like Lowry he needs to play physically to be effective and I think his injury is preventing that (shoulder)?

Barron looks so close to breaking out, I think there's a really solid middle 6 winger there but I hope he figures it out soon.

I thought the D was fine in this game. Some bad luck and a really unfortunate whoops by Snerg at the worst possible time.

I'll say it again: Josh Morrissey HAS to be the captain of this team. I wouldn't wait, id stitch that mf'in letter to his jersey right now.

Its not just I'll advised plays with Ehlers it's also that he's playing so slow right now. I get he doesn't have his top gear coming off of surgery but he's still playing at a lower pace then he is capable of and it's resulting in teams easily neutralizing him.

I hate to say it but there was a reason that prior to his injury Cole was starting to steal more and more of Fly's icetime. It was because he was playing well within our system and managing the puck a lot better. We know what Ehlers is capable of, he needs start pumping his legs and pushing teams back. Once he starts doing that more plays will open up for him and he won't have to force the poor ones he's been doing lately.

There is a good player in Barron but he has no scoring touch. I think he can develop into a plus 3rd line winger.

I agree give JoMo the C. As he goes so does this team. I like Lowry but he's not good enough on the ice to be the C. I also like giving the C to the best all around player on the team. It sends the message of what is required.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
Its not just I'll advised plays with Ehlers it's also that he's playing so slow right now. I get he doesn't have his top gear coming off of surgery but he's still playing at a lower pace then he is capable of and it's resulting in teams easily neutralizing him.

I hate to say it but there was a reason that prior to his injury Cole was starting to steal more and more of Fly's icetime. It was because he was playing well within our system and managing the puck a lot better. We know what Ehlers is capable of, he needs start pumping his legs and pushing teams back. Once he starts doing that more plays will open up for him and he won't have to force the poor ones he's been doing lately.

There is a good player in Barron but he has no scoring touch. I think he can develop into a plus 3rd line winger.

I agree give JoMo the C. As he goes so does this team. I like Lowry but he's not good enough on the ice to be the C. I also like giving the C to the best all around player on the team. It sends the message of what is required.

Ehlers looked pretty good right after the injury I wonder if he is playing with an injury again

He just looks off right now

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
Hey, electric chainsaws are pretty awesome - quieter and no toxic fumes, far lower maintenance, far easier to start, and some models are just as powerful as gas - at least all you need for cutting our tiny Manitoba trees.

I know, I was just being a jerk. :) However I have some 65 foot black poplars and white spruce that would challenge some electrics.

Reactions: Jets 31

SUX2BU

User of registers
Feb 6, 2018
Canada
I know fans are disappointed but imagine how disappointed that one guy is who would have won a million if Kopitar had scored. I thought for sure he was gonna get it in when he got 2 shots on Helle in OT.

The Kardashian spawn shop at Save On Foods? :sarcasm:

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
The mere mention of The Arch-Sliver’s name is a thread ban round these parts. My FiL actually crosses himself and looks to Heaven.

Fun but sad game.

We need some odds-based comfort from @AlphaLackey.

3 points out of first in the conference, most wins of any team in the conference, and both the team in first and the team on our heels have *eleven* more loser points than we do. Still way too good a performance this year to bail on, for a team that's still a wide favorite to make the playoffs.

In Chevy I trust. Now, if the TDL comes and goes and we don't go hard, then I'll panic. :P

Stumbledore

Jan 1, 2018
Canada
Effort? This isn't Pee Wee hockey and there are no participation awards. This is the NHL and he is making multiple millions to perform and contribute. Three months without a goal with the amount of ice time he gets is beyond unacceptable. It’s a results driven league and he just hasn't had any positive results.
I'd call our last goal a pretty positive results. Sure, Stenlund gets off a great shot but the whole play was made by the speed, skill and patience of Lowry.

Robert Marvin

Feb 27, 2023
Two unfortunate plays in the third cost them the game, I am predicting a sweep of the Oilers in the back to back.

Ehlers is being too cute, over handling the puck, needs a slap upside the head.
Chevy needs to add a veteran D man and another bottom six guy, get'er done Chev.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad