Pre-Game Talk: It’s almost time.... Habs @ Leafs | Wednesday @ 7pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
I tend to agree. In a 56 game season you don't get 8-10 games to find your game. Struggle and you can find your game on a reduced workload schedule. If Campbell takes the reigns and provides stable goaltending you have to go with the hot hand. We'll need both guys throughout the year and each will run hot and cold. My hope is that Keefe does what's best for the team and not what's best for Freddy's ego.
and if Soup struggles then Dell will go in nets ... there is no baby 101 occuring this season ... you come in you produce and you get net next game it is as simple as that baby

Reactions: Marshy

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
and if Soup struggles then Dell will go in nets ... there is no baby 101 occuring this season ... you come in you produce and you get net next game it is as simple as that baby
It is what i like most about Keefe and fans will see it much more this season ... last year he baby stepped around everything inc Freddy ... not this year ... he does not have preconceived ideas like Babs way ... he lets performance rule da day ... last year he walked into Babs world where things were not right like Paddy get special treatment because he was Babs guy

Reactions: Oscar Peterson

Marshy

Behind Enemy Lines
Oct 3, 2007
Ottawa
Somebody made a good point I forget what board it was. The North division will get the same set of refs (no border crossing same as the players). Could mean less bias and maybe even more PP chances than we've seen in recent years.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Somebody made a good point I forget what board it was. The North division will get the same set of refs (no border crossing same as the players). Could mean less bias and maybe even more PP chances than we've seen in recent years.
Canadian refs let more stuff go ... so could be exact opposite ... Americans tend to call things by da book ... Canadians want games decided by da players on ice ... i hope i am wrong and things have changed as we could sure take advantage of more PP's ... i like our PP setup with a screen in front of net ... much more traditional PP which i like ... forces other team to play a defender in middle to move our guy which creates an even bigger screen and opens up more ice for our 4 skilled ice against 3 guys on other team ... gives Marner more room to be creative and JT a screened shot

Dayjobdave

Apr 29, 2010
Here's hoping for a great 56 game regular season followed by a spectacular playoff!

This should be the only time we get an all-Canadian super tourney like that, so I'm intending to sit back and enjoy it. I've already worked my way through pretty much everything on Netflix....

Reactions: The Spring Samauri

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
To be fair they should add up to them. The 12 Hab forwards carry a cap hit of $2.4M less than the combined cap hits of the big 4.

Hey, hey Montreal has their cap hits too.

If they wernt spending 15 million on below average goaltending and 8 million on an oft injured Dman until the end of time they might be able to build on their two highest cap hits on offence who are a a guy barely worth half the amount and a guy who hasn't played in forever.

The cap hits of our top 4 look like absolute genius compared to the Price/Allen/Weber/Drouin/Anderson contracts.

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
yep.

and the 2 Hab goalies carry $9M more than the leafs goalies, for lower projected performance.

For the first time in a long time both Leafs and Habs (all Canadian teams really except the Sens) are spending to the Cap. It will be interesting to see who made best use of their money. Habs spending a ton on Goalies ($6M more than any other team in their division on goalies) Leafs very heavy in 4 Fwd ($7.5M more than anyone else on top 4 F) Jets seeming to have forgotton to spend anything on defensemen. Canucks and flames carring a bad contract each in Erikksoon and Lucic. It will be interesting.

I think in alphabetical order the 4 playoff teams if we get there are Flames/Habs/Jets and Leafs. Either can be Number one and either could be sitting on outside looking in. It will be an interesting season, after the 8th game against each team some rivalries may be boiling over.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
For the first time in a long time both Leafs and Habs (all Canadian teams really except the Sens) are spending to the Cap. It will be interesting to see who made best use of their money. Habs spending a ton on Goalies ($6M more than any other team in their division on goalies) Leafs very heavy in 4 Fwd ($7.5M more than anyone else on top 4 F) Jets seeming to have forgotton to spend anything on defensemen. Canucks and flames carring a bad contract each in Erikksoon and Lucic. It will be interesting.

I think in alphabetical order the 4 playoff teams if we get there are Flames/Habs/Jets and Leafs. Either can be Number one and either could be sitting on outside looking in. It will be an interesting season, after the 8th game against each team some rivalries may be boiling over.

one thing that's unarguable - the leafs spending choices match up pretty well with those analytic values posted up there, and the Habs (and most others) do not.

we'll see how that works out. I'm thinking it will work out well.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
ok you caught me. I actually created the goalie numbers myself from their stats since they don't actually do goalie percentile rankings (that I can find at least).

What I did was just take the last 2yrs of gar/60 goalie data and upped the minimum minutes until it narrowed the list down to 51 goalies (I wanted to get to 50, but 51 was the best i could do), and then just took their ranking amongst the top 50 goalies and translated that into their number. (it';s easy with 50 goalies - just double the number to get to their percentile ranking). This is of course not nearly the right way to do it but what the hey. oh and then for backups that didn't meet the minimum minutes I ranked them according to their closest comparables amongst the top 50 - so in this case the starter ranking and backup rankings mean very different things.

Basically, Anderson's 76 ranking means that he ranked 12th out of the 50 top minute goalies in gar/60 the last 2yrs (2x12 = 24, 100-24 - 76). Price's 46 ranking means that he ranked 27th (27x2 = 54, 100-54 = 46).
I was just curious not looking to catch you lol. That approach seems to make sense though. Personally I'm not a huge GAR fan but am excited to see what people can do when the new player tracking data become avaliable.

Interesting to see JT higher than Marner though but I guess it is from last 3 years.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Going to put this in 3 places

Tavares was asked on Tim and Sid today about who stuck out the most to him in camp, and he said Liljegren. He was talking to a few teammates about him.
He had a ton of praise for him. Talked about his maturity and gowth not just this camp but also the previous season, and that he may not jump off the page at what he does, but his assertiveness and the strides he took last season.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
I see a peel away team. If certain guys on one year contracts don't play well or some of the young guys do play well(i.e Liljegren, Robertson) they can be sat or even traded? Don't laugh. I like Bogo, Simmonds etc. but who is to say they can't land us something at TD if one of our young guys pushes them out. Teams seem to like rentals and we do need more draft picks.

In 2 or 3 games we should know what we have and don't have with these older guys.

Reactions: zeke

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005

Tavares was asked on Tim and Sid today about who stuck out the most to him in camp, and he said Liljegren. He was talking to a few teammates about him.
He had a ton of praise for him. Talked about his maturity and gowth not just this camp but also the previous season, and that he may not jump off the page at what he does, but his assertiveness and the strides he took last season.

It was just a scrimmage but he looked insanely more confident and relaxed in it than he did last year.

And strong. He looked rock solid strong.

Reactions: stickty111

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
With Habs fans getting all giddy about how BIG and STRONG their team is, I thought I'd take a quick peek at reality for a second.

Players are ordered loosely from best to worst, not in actual lines or pairs:

20210112_215953.jpg

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada

That's good to hear.
It seems like alota guys are trying to create a better culture; praise guys coming up, Set a better vibe in the locker room. To me it seems like there's a emphasis on this....

Le Cobra

Rent A Goalie
Nov 11, 2015
Toronto The Good
Players i am most excited for tomorrow and this season:

SIMMONDS
BOGOSIAN
BRODIE
ROBERTSON
THONRTON
VESEY

And WHATSHISFACE our new goalie that’s not Hutch and Campbell