Post-Game Talk: It’s a Christmas miracle!

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I think Hyman has probably surpassed expectations for the last few years. But we all expected someone decent to all-star level for the first half of the contract.

It's another 4 years at $5.5m and he's 31. Still easily Holland's best move but it's the 2nd half of the contract we were worried about at signing.
I was a very vocal supporter of the Hyman contract, compared to him to Ryan Smyth which some thought was hyperbole and said that the numbers were in Toronto were misleading because some were saying that his career high was only 41 points and therefore was only a 3rd liner, but he's exceeded even my expectations.
I didn't think he would be a 40 goal, 80 point guy, I thought maybe 30 goal, 60 point for the first half of the contract.

Well.... he's now in his 3rd season of the contract (almost halfway through) and looks better than ever, he's been their most consistent player this season and if the Oilers do pull this season out of the fire, people shouldn't forget that Hyman was the one who kept them afloat along with Kane when everybody else including McDavid was in preseason mode. Also lets not forget that RNH has had an under the radar very good season as well, not a lot of goals but a very good 2 way game.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
I was a very vocal supporter of the Hyman contract, compared to him to Ryan Smyth which some thought was hyperbole and said that the numbers were in Toronto were misleading because some were saying that his career high was only 41 points and therefore was only a 3rd liner, but he's exceeded even my expectations.I didn't think he would be a 40 goal, 80 point guy, I thought maybe 30 goal, 60 point for the first half of the contract.

He's now in his 3rd season of the contract and looks better than ever, he's been their most consistent player this season and if the Oilers do pull this season out of the fire, people shouldn't forget that Hyman was the one who kept them afloat along with Kane when everybody else including McDavid was in preseason mode. Also lets not forget that RNH has had an under the radar very good season as well, not a lot of goals but a very good 2 way game.
I loved the Hyman signing and thought he was gonna be good to great for us.

He has far exceeded what I thought.

Sra1974

Oct 8, 2019
I don't think you're grasping just how futile the sharks are. This is a team so bad at scoring that they are the worst scoring team someone like Don Cherry has ever seen.

The worst offensive team the league has seen in around 1600~1700 different teams. Five standard deviations below the mean bad. The bottom 0.006%. This sharks team is as bad at scoring as Gretzky was good at scoring.

Idk, I'm not saying we should be down on Skinners game or anything, but I think it would be more impressive to shut out the average AHL team this year to be frank.
Yeah they are bad but were only shut out one other time in December. That same time period they put up 5 against the Rangers and Islanders, 6 on the Wings and Devils, and 4 on the Knights and Canucks. Your assertion that it would be more impressive to shut out an Ahl team does not hold up to the facts. They are a bad nhl team, but they have put up goals in spurts since Oct/Nov and the oilers managed to shut them out, that’s a good thing.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
Yeah they are bad but were only shut out one other time in December. That same time period they put up 5 against the Rangers and Islanders, 6 on the Wings and Devils, and 4 on the Knights and Canucks. Your assertion that it would be more impressive to shut out an Ahl team does not hold up to the facts. They are a bad nhl team, but they have put up goals in spurts since Oct/Nov and the oilers managed to shut them out, that’s a good thing.

Absolutely, it's a good thing. I just don't think it's an exceptionally good thing worth writing home about.

Particularly since Skinner was flat out beat on atleast 3 occasions and either got lucky or the sharks whiffed.

Idk, I think a shutout is a great thing, but there are scales to shutouts and Goaltending performances... You'd have to be lying to yourself if you even put Skinner's game last night in the top 15 of Goaltending performances we've seen by a Goaltender in Oilers games so far this year, imo. He was average, made a few good saves, and got bailed out by luck on a few occasions.

I just find it a little insulting to have to treat a professional with kid gloves - he did his job, but he didn't really do much else.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
The Sharks fans have some quirks. Booing that hard when a penalty call doesn't get made with 4 seconds left in a 5-0 game? And whats with the booing every time a dman waits for a line change behind the net with the puck? I noticed it last game as well, they really hate that sequence of a game.
No kidding, lots of strange noises and stuff coming from them during the game. A very weird fan base.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Woodcroft had problems preparing the team for anything really. Start of games, starts of seasons, starts of playoff series, starts after breaks, etc, etc, etc.

I’m not sure exactly what the problem was, but there was clearly a problem. If we make the playoffs I look forward to seeing how Game 1 goes. I bet it’s night and day compared to the Game 1 disasters that we are accustomed to under Woody.
It was beyond Woody too though. Notorious slow starts with Tippett, Hitchcock (even with the short tenure) and McLellan. Whatever Knoblauch has done to get the team ready from puck drop thus far is pretty impressive.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
It was beyond Woody too though. Notorious slow starts with Tippett, Hitchcock (even with the short tenure) and McLellan. Whatever Knoblauch has done to get the team ready from puck drop thus far is pretty impressive.

Structure and work ethic in practise matters.

I'll give Hitch a pass because he had a crap roster and clearly was in his "I can't yell too much or I'll have a stroke" grandpa phase and was dragged out of retirement.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008

Tippett - 100% true.

I don’t put a lot of stock in the other coaches though because the team simply stunk then. I don’t recall starts being an issue in 16-17 (the one season under Maclellan/Hitch they were good), but could be remembering wrong.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
My IQ litmus test is when fans complain about a goalie even after a shutout
Says a poster throwing Shade on Draisaitl after a solid game. I think your self test failed. Did you buy it in China?

No kidding, lots of strange noises and stuff coming from them during the game. A very weird fan base.
It was piped fan noise during the game. A new NHL low point. The building was half empty. They had fake crowd noise. Like at a cheesy live concert recording where everybody was sitting on their hands....haha

Whatever posted attendance is probably a lie. No way there were even 10K people there.

Reactions: Stoneman89

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Says a poster throwing Shade on Draisaitl after a solid game. I think your self test failed. Did you buy it in China?

It was piped fan noise during the game. A new NHL low point. The building was half empty. They had fake crowd noise. Like at a cheesy live concert recording where everybody was sitting on their hands....haha

Whatever posted attendance is probably a lie. No way there were even 10K people there.
That's the conclusion I came to as well.

Half the seats were empty but constant strange noises that I haven't heard before (I guess sasquatch are common in California) during an NHL game and often times loud shrieks about missed penalties when guys just fell down. It's a hockey game people, not a ballet.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Sra1974

Oct 8, 2019
Absolutely, it's a good thing. I just don't think it's an exceptionally good thing worth writing home about.

Particularly since Skinner was flat out beat on atleast 3 occasions and either got lucky or the sharks whiffed.

Idk, I think a shutout is a great thing, but there are scales to shutouts and Goaltending performances... You'd have to be lying to yourself if you even put Skinner's game last night in the top 15 of Goaltending performances we've seen by a Goaltender in Oilers games so far this year, imo. He was average, made a few good saves, and got bailed out by luck on a few occasions.

I just find it a little insulting to have to treat a professional with kid gloves - he did his job, but he didn't really do much else.
The oiler have 16 regulation wins, and somehow a shutout doesn’t rise to the top of the 15 oiler goaltending performances this year. Your previous post put it less than shutting out an AHL team. He statistically has been awful but he does appear to be getting better. The bigger worry is who the heck can spell him off around here so he doesn’t get ridden into the ground in the next few months.

Goaltending is a mental struggle, let’s all hope this helps him turn a corner. Plus it should help the team with some confidence since so many here are adamant they can’t play offense, defence, penalty kill or score on the powerplay when the goaltending struggles.

Keggatron

Nov 15, 2008
If only he could have played this way in the playoffs last year. Edm wins the Cup. If they make it this year and he’s still the starter we will see what happens I guess. maybe it’s the whole, gotta lose before you win cliche. Same goes with skinner. More mature. More experience now. Blah blah blah. Lol
I'm not even close to ready to run with Skinner. As other's have stated, in no way was this a great performance or anything.
Since Nov. 11th, Stuart Skinner has the most wins of any goalie in the NHL. Since Nov. 24th, he's gone .919 with a 9 - 2 record.
I honestly can't remember him stealing us any of those wins. He was basically adequate. He sure as hell cost us the Tampa game though. And he also let in 3 goals on 21 shots against the Isles.

Lol jesus christ, Skinner's 9-2 in his last 11, .913 in December and just pitched a shutout. Arguably the biggest game of the year coming up.

"Calvin Pickard should get the start".

What are we even doing here.
Because Skinner shits his clothes under even the slightest pressure. All games like this do is buy more rope for Holland to leave off doing his job in getting us a goalie.
Doing what we do best... being irrational Oilers fans.
It's not irrational to be skeptical of a goalie sporting an 890 save percentage which the team has been mostly responsible for improving in the last month. The guy has been fairly awful this whole season. Don't be fooled by the recent success. That is completely on the shoulders of our D core. When the going gets tough, I'm sure we'll see the real Skinner rear his ugly head again.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
I'm not even close to ready to run with Skinner. As other's have stated, in no way was this a great performance or anything.

I honestly can't remember him stealing us any of those wins. He was basically adequate. He sure as hell cost us the Tampa game though. And he also let in 3 goals on 21 shots against the Isles.

Because Skinner shits his clothes under even the slightest pressure. All games like this do is buy more rope for Holland to leave off doing his job in getting us a goalie.

It's not irrational to be skeptical of a goalie sporting an 890 save percentage which the team has been mostly responsible for improving in the last month. The guy has been fairly awful this whole season. Don't be fooled by the recent success. That is completely on the shoulders of our D core. When the going gets tough, I'm sure we'll see the real Skinner rear his ugly head again.
Good grief, man. You're the kind of "fan" the players run a mile from, and I don't blame them. How about actually supporting your team? Probably a thought that's never occurred to you.

• Love
Reactions: OilynutEsquire

Duke74

Jan 13, 2018
Oh my god, oh my god, oh my god! Look at me, look at me look at me! Putting on my pants now! Putting on my sweater! Putting on shoes now! Here comes duckface! My gawd, I look so so amazing!
Typical for wives/girlfriends of hockey players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad