ISS Top 30 for 2011 NHL Draft (updated Feb 16th)

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
Better developmental league for a guy with that kind of game to play in. I think he would have excelled in Seattle with Jacobs and company

I guess I just don't agree with the belief that any guy who's big and plays a "tough" game will surely become a star if they go to the WHL. You have to look at the player as an individual and having seen Seth play, I think his flaws would still be an issue if he played for Seattle at this point.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
I hope to god that if the opportunity is there that Pittsburgh can draft Alexandr Khokhlachev that they do it as he is doing well with Thomas Kuhnhackl at the Windsor Spitfires and would be a great players to get.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
I guess I just don't agree with the belief that any guy who's big and plays a "tough" game will surely become a star if they go to the WHL. You have to look at the player as an individual and having seen Seth play, I think his flaws would still be an issue if he played for Seattle at this point.

Playing in a league below the WHL and not dominating I think has alot to do with his drop. If he did come to Seattle this year and play at produce at roughly the same rate I can tell you he would not have fallen out of the first round. I just think a big winger like that who loves to crash and bang would be will suited to the WHL style. He just seemed destined to me to be a top 10 pick this year so I am disappointed by his "fall".

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Playing in a league below the WHL and not dominating I think has alot to do with his drop. If he did come to Seattle this year and play at produce at roughly the same rate I can tell you he would not have fallen out of the first round. I just think a big winger like that who loves to crash and bang would be will suited to the WHL style. He just seemed destined to me to be a top 10 pick this year so I am disappointed by his "fall".

To be fair, Ambroz hasn't had a terrible year. He's almost a ppg on one of the best teams in the USHL (a tough league made up of players of wildly varying ages), playing in all situations, and piling up the shots. I don't see a ton of natural skill there, but IMO he has NHL size and toughness.

spikelechien

Jan 8, 2007
Braeshore
Some interesting choices and trends from ISS. What is particularly interesting is how they vary from the current gold standard - MacKenzie’s early January top 60. Bear in mind there has been quite a bit of hockey played since MacKenzie’s list was put out so even his list would likely undergo a fair amount of change if put out now. Anyways, here is my 2 cents worth on the differences between ISS and MacKenzie:
1. Biggs - ISS - 6; MAC - 10. Where you put Biggs is whether you define him as a scorer in the BIGS which ISS must have done or a 3rd line checker who will score you some goals - a Steve Ott or a David Clarkson. I am of the latter group but concede there is likely at least one NHL team who will define him as a scorer and take him real early a la ISS.
2. Jensen - ISS - 10; MAC - 26. A very productive January would likely have moved him up even on MAC’s list. Is he a 10, could be and should be if he continues to replicate his January performance. As for me, I am moving in ISS’s direction but would like to see at least one more month before going as high as 10.
3. Huberdeau - ISS - 13; MAC - 9. I remember seeing this guy live the last game of last year (regular season) and thinking that this 150 lb. weakling would never make it. Was I wrong, this 150 pounder put on 15 pounds and is no longer getting bounced around against either Q or International competition. More than that, he is the best player on one of the best teams in the nation - ISS appears to be a late fan of Huberdeau like I was but I suspect he will be even higher on their list next month.
4. Khokhlachev - ISS - 14; MAC - 42. A terrific January has him soaring in most ratings - some say he is this year’s Burmistrov but in the games I have watched he seems more invisibleistrov than Burmistrov. Maybe, I am just mesmerized by Jack Kassian or I didn’t see him at his best - he sure is putting up the numbers lately. I think he will be a 1st but 14th, I am not so sure - more hockey to be played.
5. Grimaldi - ISS - 16; MAC - 31. Do want to drive a SUV or a SMART car (and I confess I drive a SUV). Hmm, do you believe a 5’6’’ guys success at junior levels and international competitions will translate to the BIGS a la Tyler Ennis or better. If you do, 16 is not unreasonable. As for me, the SUV driver, I would be more comfortable considering Grimaldi late 1st to early 2nd a la MAC.
6. Catenacci - ISS - 17; MAC - 30. Somewhat the same story as Grimaldi for this 5’10’’ guy. And for me, I am really not fan even though he does skate incredibly well - in what I have seen of him, he needs to get more out of his team mates for me to climb on board.
7. Bell - ISS - 18; MAC - 56. A high risk potentially high reward type of guy. Has the big shot and likes the offense but also needs to play defense. Again, not a fan but he will likely go higher than 56 because the team that chooses him will believe that he will be able to overcome any defensive shortcomings.
8. Jacobs - ISS - 22; MAC - 57. Maybe some DUB fans can help me out here because I am not seeing 1st round in this guy - yes, he is playing on a terrible team (Seattle) but I would expect more from a 1st rounder.
9. Bärtschi - ISS - 26; MAC - 15. Although I might have expected a bit more from him at the U20, this guy has been doing it for me in the DUB. Yes, he is only 5’10’’ but he appears to be a solid 5’10’’. Maybe, DUB fans can shade a little more light but he is on a good team where there are a lot of limelights but he has played well enough that the light looks good on him.
10. Puempel - ISS - 28; MAC - 18. OK, I think this guy is a real scorer a guy who doesn’t need much time or motion to score or make things happen. He is playing on a very bad team and continues to find a way almost every night to put numbers on the board so I am higher on this guy than even MAC’s rating.
11. Shore - ISS - 29; MAC - 53. Another guy with a great January but a 1st??? Maybe some Pioneers’ fans can give us some better inside info on this guy. Is he really a 1st and is he better than his brother “Drew†???
12. Beaulieu - ISS - >30; MAC - 13. I may not have him 13 but to me he is 1st round for sure.

Last edited:

Hooch314

Mar 16, 2008
I know he is rising quickly in the rankings but I still can't believe Huberdeau is ranked that low.

PuckOut

Feb 23, 2009
www.youtube.com
Very pleased to see Mika Zibanejad back on the list.. I will be very surprised if he's not a 1st round pick when all is said and done. He's going to be a fan favorite

He's developed at an amazing speed this winter. I've seen him a lot in the juniors and while you could see that he had a very high ceiling and great talent, I never expected him to explode out of the gate the way he has.

IMO, he's better than Jacob Josefson was at the same age. I can't find any significant flaws in his game.

ohlguy

Oct 18, 2010
Oshawa
The only surprise to see on the list is Biggs being rated so high. I'm sure there has to be a good reason because ISS does a good job with the rankings and is usually better than NHL CS.

Tobias

Oct 15, 2004
Copenhagen, Denmark
Jensen deserves his ranking entirely. He has been dominant since the new year and has shown flashes of brilliance. Someone is going to love the way this guy plays much like Skinner last year and see all the potential there is and take him inside the top 10. I have him at #6 right now behind Hamilton if that has any relevance. Star in the making in my books and some team will take him in the top 10.

Nice to hear from someone who has watched him play for Oshawa. He's from my home town, so i've watched him alot in the past. It's going to be interesting to see if he can break top 7 and beat Mikkel Bødkers record for highest drafted Dane at 8.

danishdynamite

Jan 11, 2011
Jensen deserves his ranking entirely. He has been dominant since the new year and has shown flashes of brilliance. Someone is going to love the way this guy plays much like Skinner last year and see all the potential there is and take him inside the top 10. I have him at #6 right now behind Hamilton if that has any relevance. Star in the making in my books and some team will take him in the top 10.

Jensen has a good chance of making the danish WC-team. Not a lot of players get that chance in their draft-year.

Manny*

What can people tell me about Rocco Grimaldi? He's obviously of the small-but-skilled variety, but what exactly are his strengths?

AE

May 10, 2010
Zibanejad >>>>>>> Rask

Z-Man is a sure first round pick, Rask should be a second at most.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad