Isn't it time USA Hockey updates its Youth Hockey Level age requirements?

Jeremyg237

Feb 23, 2022
USA Hockey and its infinite wisdom talk a lot about development throughout their curriculum. However, for kids playing Youth Hockey, the levels are split by birth year only- instead of the month AND year the child was born (kinda like the kindergarten cutoff rule). Wouldn't it be beneficial for the player to be a part of a team and thus playing against kids that are on similar development schedules- like in the classroom? Other sports go by the kindergarten cutoff rule for their programs for equal player development, why not hockey too?

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
So I'm guessing you're a parent of a late 3rd or 4th quarter child already in (or that you wish to enroll in) a U.S. youth hockey program? IMO, it's more about the coaching & organizational practices of a particular team or league that dictates an individual youth's opportunities to develop than it is about the influence of USA Hockey age rules.

Further, comparing sports & education for this purpose is a dubious method to justify them being similarly structured for the purposes of controlling age inequities. While both are influenced by the maturity of the participants, youth sports development outcomes are largely dictated by physical abilities. So hockey needs its own set of controls, and the organization that establishes those controls has chosen the easy route with a calendar. You can take your petition to Colorado Springs, but I'll bet they've heard it all before.

Jeremyg237

Feb 23, 2022
Yes I am a parent of a 4th quarter child as well as a coach and player. I agree that they are taking the easy way out for them, but dont think that should be an excuse for a company/organization to do so. We all pay a fee to play, coach and take coaching classes in order to coach and that adds up to $45,000,000.00 (2019) If we has parents organize, we can make a change.

Usa Hockey Inc - Nonprofit Explorer - ProPublica

kij

Jan 31, 2016
Thing is, say we do that. There will still be a full year's worth of a gap within the age group. Plus every school district has different cutoffs. Is it an archaic system? Yes. Is there a better way? Debatable. Especially when there are districts that allow for parents to hold a kid who made the cutoff back a year due do their opinion of which stage of development the child made it to, so when you talk about the kindergarten cutoff rule, it would create a situation where a child who may be a full year older than his competition plays down a level, for his entire youth career?

Reactions: JMCx4

Jeremyg237

Feb 23, 2022
True. But a Jan XXXX against a Dec XXXX child is a huge difference. Thats why I bring this up. All of your points make since. I also think about the late kids that join and get stuck in a age group as well. I honestly wish USA Hockey had a forum where parents, coaches, players etc could discuss things like this.

mjhfb

Easier from up here
Dec 19, 2016
A thousand miles from nowhere
Having a Q1 is easier because they play with and against younger, less developed kids.
Having a Q4 is harder, because they play with and against older, more developed kids.
However, over time its an advantage, like always playing up a year against better competition.
Q4 players are also drafted one year later. So it depends on how you look at it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad