Post-Game Talk: Isles

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
I have a work dinner on Wednesday, so I’m psyched about it.

Actually, looking at the other schedules for the other series, it seems like it’s a deliberate choice to give the extra day between Game 2 and 3. Most other series have it, I assume, to accommodate travel. Because the only ones that don’t have it are Tampa/FLA, TOR/BOS, and LA/EDM.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
That split between Game 2 and 3 is certainly a choice.
if I were the Isles I wouldn't be happy.

That kind of a break, especially after a bit of a break between their last meaningful game and Game 1, is the kind of stuff that kills a hot team's momentum.

Blueline Bomber

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
if I were the Isles I wouldn't be happy.

That kind of a break, especially after a bit of a break between their last meaningful game and Game 1, is the kind of stuff that kills a hot team's momentum.

But if they lose the first two games, it allows them an extra day to regroup and prepare better for the next two.

Blueline Bomber

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Isles are going with Varlamov for Game 1. Crazy goaltending situation they have there where they can just casually and confident start their other guy over someone considered a top 5 goalie in the league.

Varly's career stats against the Canes: 2.46, .923

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
Isles are going with Varlamov for Game 1. Crazy goaltending situation they have there where they can just casually and confident start their other guy over someone considered a top 5 goalie in the league.
Varly is great but his absolute peak isn't as elite as Sorokin's peak so this is welcome.

Reactions: Tryamw

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Here's our lines I found in the thread for the first playoff game against Washington at the start of our run of success. Kind of a team that gives me similar vibes to this Isles team.

Forwards
Niederreiter-Aho-Williams
Ferland-Staal-Teravainen
Svechnikov-Martinook-McGinn
McKegg-Wallmark-Foegele

Defense
Slavin-Hamilton
Pesce-Faulk
Fleury-van Riemsdyk

Goalies
Mrazek
McElhinney

Scratches: Bean (healthy), Maenalanen (healthy), de Haan (upper body)

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho
Varly is great but his absolute peak isn't as elite as Sorokin's peak so this is welcome.

Bottom line is, if we can't beat a hot goal tender we're not gonna win a Stanley cup. They're all capable of playing lights out on any given night, and it doesn't get easier the further we go. We also have the same situation in our net. If Andersen plays at the top of his game, he's gonna steal more than one. To a lesser degree, but same with PK.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Here's our lines I found in the thread for the first playoff game against Washington at the start of our run of success. Kind of a team that gives me similar vibes to this Isles team.

Forwards
Niederreiter-Aho-Williams
Ferland-Staal-Teravainen
Svechnikov-Martinook-McGinn
McKegg-Wallmark-Foegele

Defense
Slavin-Hamilton
Pesce-Faulk
Fleury-van Riemsdyk

Goalies
Mrazek
McElhinney

Scratches: Bean (healthy), Maenalanen (healthy), de Haan (upper body)

Wow. That's wild.

Francis10

Jan 28, 2012
Canada
Actually, looking at the other schedules for the other series, it seems like it’s a deliberate choice to give the extra day between Game 2 and 3. Most other series have it, I assume, to accommodate travel. Because the only ones that don’t have it are Tampa/FLA, TOR/BOS, and LA/EDM.
Totally get that. But man they drag these series out so long. How did we do it in the 80s and 90s? They all flew commercial as well.

Unless arena is booked it should be in this middle age man’s opinion: game, day off, game, day off, game, etc.

*Insert old man yelling at cloud gif here*

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad