Pre-Game Talk: Isles

SeaBasstian

Don't Tread On Me
Mar 5, 2007
Connecticut
Game 1 Sunday means we'd very likely get a game in NY the following weekend, which I'd be able to go to so I'm completely good with Sunday.
Unless they plan to do any back to backs, the games would be game 1 sun, game 2 Tues, game 3 Thurs, then game 4 would have to be sat or sun, I don't see them being in NY and skipping a weekend (local and TV revenue)

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
Unless they plan to do any back to backs, the games would be game 1 sun, game 2 Tues, game 3 Thurs, then game 4 would have to be sat or sun, I don't see them being in NY and skipping a weekend (local and TV revenue)
yep and a theoretical Saturday start could have games 3 and 4 on Wed and Fri making it tougher for me to get to NY for a game during the week

Reactions: DaveG

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
I’m erring on the side of caution.

Despite the belief that the Canes should easily win this series, I can’t help but remember that last year’s series went to 6, and even then, it took a very weak goal in OT to win in 6. A few bounces here and there and that series could have gone quite differently.

Now add in that this year’s Islanders have been coached out of that defensive shell and players like Barzal, Horvat, etc have been given a bit more of a green light to take chances offensively, and the picture becomes a bit more murky.

I hope the Canes win, and I still believe they’re the favorites. But I don’t think its the 95-5 that was stated earlier.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm

Despite the belief that the Canes should easily win this series, I can’t help but remember that last year’s series went to 6, and even then, it took a very weak goal in OT to win in 6. A few bounces here and there and that series could have gone quite differently.

Now add in that this year’s Islanders have been coached out of that defensive shell and players like Barzal, Horvat, etc have been given a bit more of a green light to take chances offensively, and the picture becomes a bit more murky.

I hope the Canes win, and I still believe they’re the favorites. But I don’t think its the 95-5 that was stated earlier.

All true. But last year we didn't have Svech or Jake or 30 goal Jarvis. Isles are playing differently and maybe better, but so are we.

Nothing is a given, for sure, but I like our chances here.

baconandbread

Oct 30, 2019
Because of injuries and under-performance our lines were especially jumbled down the stretch.

I would really be interested in hearing people's thoughts on 1) your ideal lines to start the playoffs (including goalies) and 2) what you THINK the lines will look like.

1) I'm still pondering this. But outside of the obvious GAJ line, I would like to free Svech from the Staal line (assuming his continued good behavior) and stack him or another skill player with Nachos. The center of that line is up in the air for me. I also like the idea of a goalie rotation of Fred and Kooch--don't know how likely that is though.

2) Outside of GAJ, I have no idea at this point. Also probably Freddie gets the green light.
GAJ
Necas Kuz TT
Svech Staal Marty
KK Drury Noesen

Slavin Burns
Brady Pesce
Orlov Chatty

Freddie

Maybe Drury or KK move up to second line on the road and Svech and TT possibly switch as well

SlavinAway

Registered Jerk
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2017
All true. But last year we didn't have Svech or Jake or 30 goal Jarvis. Isles are playing differently and maybe better, but so are we.

Nothing is a given, for sure, but I like our chances here.
This is exactly where I'm at. That's 3 top-line to elite level additions, plus the D is deeper, special teams are clicking on both ends, goaltending is stable. The only possible weakness I see is inconsistency at 2C but this series is heavily in our favor. As we've all seen anything can happen but this is ours to lose, not theirs to win.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009

You cant ever look past any round 1 opponent. The betting odds are basically 75% and that seems about right.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
I do think the Isles are capable of winning the series if we take them lightly or come in cold or flat.

However, I don't believe that Brindy or Staal would let that happen, and if we play to our own standard it really should be a cakewalk. On paper this is a serious mismatch, and on the ice it might look that way as the series progresses. Yes, NY comes in on a heater, but if you take a look at who they have played during that heater, it becomes clear on why that happened.

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
You cant ever look past any round 1 opponent. The betting odds are basically 75% and that seems about right.
Especially when a team comes in "hot" like the Isles. Remember our first year in the playoffs? Nobody thought we had a chance against the big bad Capitals, but we came in hot and that momentum carried us through to BOS before we ran out of gas.

Reactions: DaveG

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Especially when a team comes in "hot" like the Isles. Remember our first year in the playoffs? Nobody thought we had a chance against the big bad Capitals, but we came in hot and that momentum carried us through to BOS before we ran out of gas.

What if both teams come in hot? I don't think the Canes have "cooled off" over the last month or couple of weeks (last nights future AHL line up not withstanding). Were the Isles more desperate over that time? Sure. But it's the playoffs now and I think both teams will be desperate.

My only concern will be the first game due to sitting a bunch of guys multiple games to "rest". This team has never come off of rest very well. If we can win the first game and get our legs under us, I think we will be fine.

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014

I think the Canes have the most issues with a team that collapses down low and dare you to get to the interior and just counter.

I think the Isles trying to open up and look for more offense helps the Canes.

Let's be reality we're just going to cycle them to death.

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho

The canes may be able to benefit from a faster paced, more offensive style series with the Isles. This lends itself to more turnovers at times, so maybe they can feast on that. I think they have the edge in goal, but we definitely have the edge in overall defense and team structure. Not to mention we're a more dangerous team than we were last year.

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
I think an unsung storyline going into the playoffs might be Anderson being 13-2 1.84 .932. Including 3 shutouts in his last 8 games.

The way they alternate with him and Kotchekov down the stretch kind of hides how absolutely dominant he's been.
even better looking at his stats since returning from his absence, which I'm too lazy to look up specifically. he was sub .900 in the handful of games he played before the blood clot issue. Has been insanely good since returning.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad