Post-Game Talk: Isles

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
The last 10 games of a season is very hard to draw any conclusions from. A few teams have different motivations with being eliminated or having their playoff spot secure and others playing for their lives. Islanders have played 6 playoff teams in the last 4 and went 4-1-1. 1 of those wins was against Philly who hasn’t looked like a playoff team in a month. They beat the rangers, preds and panthers. Their regulation loss was a firm beating by Tampa.

Reactions: Tryamw and cptjeff

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
The last 10 games of a season is very hard to draw any conclusions from. A few teams have different motivations with being eliminated or having their playoff spot secure and others playing for their lives. Islanders have played 6 playoff teams in the last 4 and went 4-1-1. 1 of those wins was against Philly who hasn’t looked like a playoff team in a month. They beat the rangers, preds and panthers. Their regulation loss was a firm beating by Tampa.
I would tend to agree if not for the fact that the last 10 games of the Isles was proof that the Islanders had fully embraced Roy's completely revamped system. It's night and day so much that you could just throw away 3/4 of the Isles season and let the last 1/4 give if not the last 10 games of the season give you an indication of where the Isles are right now. All that Islanders sitting on a one goal lead, not taking any chances, not engaging their offense, just sitting on a one goal lead that was preached and indoctrinated into them under Trotz/Lambert is gone. THAT nonsense is what allowed your team to take the series last season. The Isles had that series easily within their grasp and then as usual- let up. This is a completely different team now playing a totally different brand of hockey. I would prefer they had an entire season under Roy entering the playoffs but you play with the hand your were dealt.

Last edited:

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho
I would tend to agree if not for the fact that the last 10 games of the Isles was proof that the Islanders had fully embraced Roy's completely revamped system. It's night and day so much that you could just throw away 3/4 of the Isles season and let the last 1/4 give if not the last 10 games of the season give you an indication of where the Isles are right now. All that Islanders sitting on a one goal lead, not taking any chances, not engaging their offense, just sitting on a one goal lead that was preached and indoctrinated into them under Trotz/Lambert is gone. THAT nonsense is what allowed your team to take the series last season. This is a completely different team now playing a totally different brand of hockey. I would prefer they had an entire season under Roy entering the playoffs but you play with the hand your were dealt.

Nothing wrong with being excited about your team. I think they'll likely give us a better match up then the first version, pre-roy. We'll see how the chips fall soon enough. Good luck.

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
Projected start times of playoffs from main board: Stanley Cup Playoffs TV Schedule - The NHL Zone

3 of four weekend game start times are meh (actually 4 as I hate 8PM games...doubt we get that one though....probably Leafs for HNIC):

1713280800039.png

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
Nothing wrong with being excited about your team. I think they'll likely give us a better match up then the first version, pre-roy. We'll see how the chips fall soon enough. Good luck.
Thank you. It will be a great series I'm sure with a lot of physical play. Honestly I don't know what to expect when these two teams collide. I'd say it's 50/50. The Isles poor stats under Lambert are completely misleading. The team is still adapting to Roy's system but they are in better position now with it than compared to late January when he took over the helm. So we have two teams playing their best hockey right now and putting their best respective line-ups on the ice. That makes for a great playoff series. No worries, it won't be a snoozer.

Last edited:

Derailed75

Jan 5, 2021
Danville
No offense to the Isle who are playing really well right now, but its hard to say they are coming in hot against the Canes if the Canes win tonight. The Canes will be on a 6 game win streak and there is no such thing as "haven't lost in regulation" in the playoffs.

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
No offense to the Isle who are playing really well right now, but its hard to say they are coming in hot against the Canes if the Canes win tonight. The Canes will be on a 6 game win streak and there is no such thing as "haven't lost in regulation" in the playoffs.
Thank god! The Isles blew so many early leads under Lambert and they were terrible in OT. 5 on 5 they are damned good. Whichever team takes this series, it won't be easy.

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho

I think what's being said is they're coming in hot. Not necessarily compared to the Canes. The Canes have been a good team since December, and only got better once Freddie came back and they picked up JG. Definitely not the same scenario.

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
I think what's being said is they're coming in hot. Not necessarily compared to the Canes. The Canes have been a good team since December, and only got better once Freddie came back and they picked up JG. Definitely not the same scenario.
Hot is an overstatement. It's not like they are playing out of their skin They are just playing solid hockey that when you watch them now you just expect them to win with all the scoring chances they create and the solid defensive play. Then you add in there Sorokin and Varly playing at their best late into the season and you have a pretty tough team to beat.

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho
Hot is an overstatement. It's not like they are playing out of their skin They are just playing solid hockey that when you watch them now you just expect them to win with all the scoring chances they create and the solid defensive play. Then you add in there Sorokin and Varly playing at their best late into the season and you have a pretty tough team to beat.

Ok. I think you've gotten your point across.

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
Any news on Dobsons availability?

What do your pairs look like without him?

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
I don't expect this to be a quick series simply because their goaltending tandem is VERY unlikely to implode. I'm pretty confident in the final outcome, it just isn't going to be a painless experience, there's going to be at least one game where we're going "how tf do you beat this guy?"
I expect Cam Ward to come down from the rafters and kick Roy's ass at center ice.

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
These Isles fans sound just like a coworker of mine.

Huge Pittsburgh guy, massive Steelers fan and also a Pens fan to a lesser degree. 8 months ago he was hyping up Kenny Pickett and the Steelers as being the best team in the AFC, all these WRs, embrace the run game, best D in the league, blah blah blah. how'd that turn out? shockingly, he's hyping up Wilson and Field as the best group of QBs in the league, Arthur Smith as some Andy Reid type of offensive genius, yada yada yada.

More of a football guy than hockey but with the Pens he was sure adding EK would bring the Pens back to the Cup finals, "now that we have a healthy Crosby and Malkin." more yada yada

The thing is, with all these takes, he isn't even arguing with me or being an asshole about it, dude is just super excited and positive about his teams. Reality winds up hitting but not lasting long because he'll just get excited again by new things for the next season.

I get it, I was like that with the Carolina Panthers for a little while. But the reality is, post-Roy pre-Roy don't matter one f***ing bit. This Hurricanes team is so far ahead of the Islanders in every single aspect of the game, and this series is a massive massive mismatch. Not to say that the Canes will win the series or win it easily. But they are heavily heavily favored and should be. This is sports, anything at all can happen. We've seen 2 historically great teams in the last 6 years go out in round 1. That could happen here. But the only people who see this series as being anywhere near "50-50" going into it are incredibly blind homers. It's more like 95-5.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Just remember what happened in 06...

- 2nd best record in the East
- 112 points
- 3rd best record in the league overall

How about we lose game 82 in OT/SO and have Dallas win their last game to make all those things come true?

Last edited:

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Just remember what happening in 06...

- 2nd best record in the East
- 112 points
- 3rd best record in the league overall

How about we lose game 82 in OT/SO and have Dallas win their last game to make all those things come true?
i dont know if I want a repeat of that montreal series or buffalo series again. Im okay with us NJ-ing the Rangers though.

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
Any news on Dobsons availability?

What do your pairs look like without him?
I don't know about his availability. It was hard to tell from the video what actually happened but I can't imagine it being too serious. He wasn't exactly wincing in pain. That said the our Aho has taken his spot in the line-up and in the last 10 games or so, Dobson wasn't that much of a factor in their great play of late. He's actually been kind of cold the last 15 games or so and went on quite the points drought. Hopefully with this time off he will turn out to be a positive factor for my Isles in this series, but I don't think he played a pivotal part in the Isles late surge.

These Isles fans sound just like a coworker of mine.

Huge Pittsburgh guy, massive Steelers fan and also a Pens fan to a lesser degree. 8 months ago he was hyping up Kenny Pickett and the Steelers as being the best team in the AFC, all these WRs, embrace the run game, best D in the league, blah blah blah. how'd that turn out? shockingly, he's hyping up Wilson and Field as the best group of QBs in the league, Arthur Smith as some Andy Reid type of offensive genius, yada yada yada.

More of a football guy than hockey but with the Pens he was sure adding EK would bring the Pens back to the Cup finals, "now that we have a healthy Crosby and Malkin." more yada yada

The thing is, with all these takes, he isn't even arguing with me or being an asshole about it, dude is just super excited and positive about his teams. Reality winds up hitting but not lasting long because he'll just get excited again by new things for the next season.

I get it, I was like that with the Carolina Panthers for a little while. But the reality is, post-Roy pre-Roy don't matter one f***ing bit. This Hurricanes team is so far ahead of the Islanders in every single aspect of the game, and this series is a massive massive mismatch. Not to say that the Canes will win the series or win it easily. But they are heavily heavily favored and should be. This is sports, anything at all can happen. We've seen 2 historically great teams in the last 6 years go out in round 1. That could happen here. But the only people who see this series as being anywhere near "50-50" going into it are incredibly blind homers. It's more like 95-5.
Good to know. My Islanders have only a 5% chance of taking this series.

Reactions: Stickpucker

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad