Post-Game Talk: Isles

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
I have been in advanced talks with Dundon on a lucrative Playoff Bandwagon Fan contract but this complicates things greatly. I mean, Sparky is one of my best friends in the whole world, I feel so conflicted:
20230927_180723.jpg

CanesUltimate11

Nov 24, 2008
Northern Virginia
Not so much the team, but Varlamov and Sorokin do scare me, especially because the Isles' defense has improved to close out the season
In previous seasons I would tend to agree with you but this year and in particular the second half of this year we're just as likely to goalie the Islanders as they are to goalie us.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Also have to remember that there were two Islanders teams this year: Pre-and Post-Patrick Roy.

The two games we lost this year were back when we were having goalie issues, and were pre-Roy. The most recent game (4-1 victory for Carolina) was post-Roy and the most accurate measuring stick we might have for this series, but ultimately, it's just 1 game.

IronCladCane

Apr 15, 2024
Completely different system the Isles are playing now that plays up to their strengths. The series should not be boring. No more sitting back on small leads. It’ll be fun. Good luck!
It also plays very well into the Canes strength I've watched a lot of the Isles last 10 games your new scheme is weak agaist a heavy forecheck.... which happens to be the Canes bread and butter.

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
Also have to remember that there were two Islanders teams this year: Pre-and Post-Patrick Roy.

The two games we lost this year were back when we were having goalie issues, and were pre-Roy. The most recent game (4-1 victory for Carolina) was post-Roy and the most accurate measuring stick we might have for this series, but ultimately, it's just 1 game.
That's hard to say. Early Roy the Islanders were undergoing a complete system overhaul. Lines are now quite different as well. Late Roy in the last 20 games or so the Islanders went on a tear looking like world beaters then the team lost a little confidence over a couple of weeks losing a few in a row and now the past 9 games they haven't lost in regulation against some really good teams and under stress. This playoff series will look completely different than the other two these teams have participated in under Trotz/Lambert as every remnant of that system is (hopefully) gone. No more sitting back on leads, no more letting teams enter the Isles unimpeded. Barzal is allowed to play like Barzal. The team is a balance of offense and defense. To me they look really good. Special teams may determine this series or 5 on 5 play may determine this series. If they Isles are allowed more of the latter they will indeed be a tough nut to crack. So looking forward to see how these two teams matchup this time. It will be a slugfest.

Reactions: DaveG

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
That's hard to say. Early Roy the Islanders were undergoing a complete system overhaul. Lines are now quite different as well. Late Roy in the last 20 games or so the Islanders went on a tear looking like world beaters then the team lost a little confidence over a couple of weeks losing a few in a row and now the past 9 games they haven't lost in regulation against some really good teams and under stress. This playoff series will look completely different than the other two these teams have participated in under Trotz/Lambert as every remnant of that system is (hopefully) gone. No more sitting back on leads, no more letting teams enter the Isles unimpeded. Barzal is allowed to play like Barzal. The team is a balance of offense and defense. To me they look really good. Special teams may determine this series or 5 on 5 play may determine this series. If they Isles are allowed more of the latter they will indeed be a tough nut to crack. So looking forward to see how these two teams matchup this time. It will be a slugfest.
Who do you think will be the Isles x factor this series?

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
It also plays very well into the Canes strength I've watched a lot of the Isles last 10 games your new scheme is weak agaist a heavy forecheck.... which happens to be the Canes bread and butter.
I don't think the Isles have lost in regulation time the last 10 games.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Any team can beat any team. And the Isles could be one of those teams that's hot enough coming in to ride it to a series win or two. There is also always the chance of getting goalied by their good goalies. They also have a few guys that can get hot from a scoring perspective.

All that said, our team has also been playing well. I think without breaking much of a sweat recently, we've also had a very good record. We've been the best team in the league mid-December, so forgive me if I'm not that worried about the hot for a few games Isles. We can score pretty well, we can defend amazingly, we have a number of goalies we can rely on, and our special teams are as good as they've been. I'm pretty confident we'll win.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad