BusinessGoose

May 19, 2022
St. Louis
Sho nuff.. But this day and age, him getting 65 and sid getting 85 points

It's just not good enough in today's NHL

not-good-enough-94a7ff6894.jpg

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
As someone said, Geno’s problem is he can’t get to the puck or to places on the ice fast enough to be open to unleash his shot…he’s still very good setting up offensive plays…Sullivan tried to help him by having him work on tips, moving screens, goal line shots…what he needs are young fast legs to get to pucks, carry the puck in the zone and be offensive threats enough to take Dmen away from him and get him more space…Bunting helped a lot in this regard…need someone else with him that’s a Marner type who can carry the puck in the zone and has a good shot

Reactions: vodeni

WickedWrister

Jul 25, 2008
Philadelphia
They need to stick with Bunting-Malkin-Rakell for next year. I'm not 100% sold on Malkin and Rakell as a duo, but that line has the makeup of what you want for Malkin's line IMO.
Do you remember what game Bunting got moved to Geno's line? I want to say he played with Sid that first game but my memory is fuzzy.

Reactions: Andy99

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
They need to stick with Bunting-Malkin-Rakell for next year. I'm not 100% sold on Malkin and Rakell as a duo, but that line has the makeup of what you want for Malkin's line IMO.

I'm not sold on Raks in general but it's worth noting he was the sidecar at the start of the year when L2 was on fire. Dunno if that's a coincidence. I'm only SO much a believer in the "little things." But it's hard to deny Raks does them. The little plays he makes off the wall in the NZ/OZ remind me a lot of what Hagelin used to do here but obvious Raks has a better overall skillset... and way less wheels.

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
Do you remember what game Bunting got moved to Geno's line? I want to say he played with Sid that first game but my memory is fuzzy.
Sid got clearly irritated the whole first period and Bunting was moved down the second never to get up again. It was funny couse Sully was going on and on before the game how Bunting will work with Sid

Reactions: farscape1

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I'm not sold on Raks in general but it's worth noting he was the sidecar at the start of the year when L2 was on fire. Dunno if that's a coincidence. I'm only SO much a believer in the "little things." But it's hard to deny Raks does them. The little plays he makes off the wall in the NZ/OZ remind me a lot of what Hagelin used to do here but obvious Raks has a better overall skillset... and way less wheels.
I’m still not sold on him with Geno…think he plays more inspired and has more offensive impact with Sid…his contract will make moving him tough, so if he’s here next season, go Rakell-Sid-Rust

Reactions: canadianguy77

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
As someone said, Geno’s problem is he can’t get to the puck or to places on the ice fast enough to be open to unleash his shot…he’s still very good setting up offensive plays…Sullivan tried to help him by having him work on tips, moving screens, goal line shots…what he needs are young fast legs to get to pucks, carry the puck in the zone and be offensive threats enough to take Dmen away from him and get him more space…Bunting helped a lot in this regard…need someone else with him that’s a Marner type who can carry the puck in the zone and has a good shot
think that yager kid.:nod: it's just geno might be gone before he gets up here.

Reactions: Andy99

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
think that yager kid.:nod: it's just geno might be gone before he gets up here.
Go see my desired lineup next season that I just posted in the Salary Cap thread…I have Geno and Yager with DOC on a third scoring line lol…won’t happen if Sullivan is still here

Reactions: The Old Master

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

I think Rakell and Malkin never really fit that well together until Bunting got here. Since Bunting-Malkin-Rakell has been put together, it has absolutely globetrotted on the ice. In 180 minutes together, that line has a 4.65 GF/60, 63.64% GF%, 3.36 xGF/60 and 59.07 xGF%/60.

Malkin and Rakell didn't have good stats together before Bunting came in (48% GF and 51.32% xGF%), but since he came in, the line has been monstrous. Which really just begs the question of whether not having a good fit LW for those two is why Malkin and Rakell struggled together.

I think that's not exactly a controversial take. Rakell is a pure offensive guy that doesn't offer much forechecking value and Malkin is old. They need a grinder to forecheck and win puck battles or that line isn't going to work well. Smith sure as hell wasn't doing that for Malkin.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Like seriously people won't even pay Malkin a basic compliment this season without the hard proviso "well he's definitely not what he used to be and is well on his way to pasture but..." like it's some kind of requirement. So I'm definitely giggling at this notion that there are crazy eyed Geno fans out there like "DUDE IS GONNA BUST OUT 100 NEXT YEAR GUARANTEED!"

Where?

Reactions: Gurglesons

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I think Rakell and Malkin never really fit that well together until Bunting got here. Since Bunting-Malkin-Rakell has been put together, it has absolutely globetrotted on the ice. In 180 minutes together, that line has a 4.65 GF/60, 63.64% GF%, 3.36 xGF/60 and 59.07 xGF%/60.

Malkin and Rakell didn't have good stats together before Bunting came in (48% GF and 51.32% xGF%), but since he came in, the line has been monstrous. Which really just begs the question of whether not having a good fit LW for those two is why Malkin and Rakell struggled together.

I think that's not exactly a controversial take. Rakell is a pure offensive guy that doesn't offer much forechecking value and Malkin is old. They need a grinder to forecheck and win puck battles or that line isn't going to work well. Smith sure as hell wasn't doing that for Malkin.
It could be but Rakell still hasn’t had good production on that line and feels like a second wheel…I think he prefers to play with Sid and it shows

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
Swapping Rust and Rak makes the most sense to try and has all season. Smith will probably work with Sid if the coach gives it more than a few periods for them to figure it out. DOC getting a ton of top 6 time this season will do him well next season on L3.

The fact that this hasn’t been tried even once is unfathomable for a team that didn't even make the playoffs.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
It could be but Rakell still hasn’t had good production on that line and feels like a second wheel…I think he prefers to play with Sid and it shows

Rakell has a 2.15 5v5 points/60 since Bunting-Malkin-Rakell was put together. If that's not "good production" I think you just don't have reasonable expectations :dunno:

If he keeps up his pace since Bunting-Malkin-Rakell was put together, he'd put up like 50-60 points next year without much PP production. That's really good.

Swapping Rust and Rak makes the most sense to try and has all season. Smith will probably work with Sid if the coach gives it more than a few periods for them to figure it out. DOC getting a ton of top 6 time this season will do him well next season on L3.

The fact that this hasn’t been tried even once is unfathomable for a team that didn't even make the playoffs.

Separating Crosby and Rust is absolutely nonsensical until they slow down. The two were far too good together to even begin justifying separating them.

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
Rakell has a 2.15 5v5 points/60 since Bunting-Malkin-Rakell was put together. If that's not "good production" I think yo just don't have reasonable expectations :dunno:

Separating Crosby and Rust is absolutely nonsensical until they slow down. The two were far too good together to even begin justifying separating them.
I don’t see it the way you do. Rust isn’t anything special to me. Sid will produce with someone else if given a few games.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
In a perfect world the Isles win and a ref skates over to our bench with Sully’s termination papers
I personally would like it announced over the loud speaker at the conclusion of the game: “tonight’s stars of the game are x, y, z. And by the way, Mike Sullivan you are hereby relieved of your coaching duties. Please hand over your employee badge to Dubas on your way out the door”

MetalheadPenguinsFan

Sep 17, 2009
Canada
I personally would like it announced over the loud speaker at the conclusion of the game: “tonight’s stars of the game are x, y, z. And by the way, Mike Sullivan you are hereby relieved of your coaching duties. Please hand over your employee badge to Dubas on your way out the door”

Only works if we are in Pittsburgh though.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Rakell has a 2.15 5v5 points/60 since Bunting-Malkin-Rakell was put together. If that's not "good production" I think you just don't have reasonable expectations :dunno:

If he keeps up his pace since Bunting-Malkin-Rakell was put together, he'd put up like 50-60 points next year without much PP production. That's really good.

It’s been like three weeks…and like 12 games…I’d like to see how it looks next season when they’re not playing for their playoff lives

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I don’t see it the way you do. Rust isn’t anything special to me. Sid will produce with someone else if given a few games.

This place has been arguing since 2019 that Guentzel-Malkin-Rust should be together regardless of how the team is doing, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised that people are still arguing to play Rust with Malkin today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad