GDT: Isles Vs Pens 7pm - Last Must Win Game Of Season (Until Next Game)

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
I will say it was just one game but based on watching Iskhakov tonight, there is no reason he should not be given a chance to make the team next season as a middle 6 minimum salary winger once we clear out Clutterbuck, Martin and Wahlstrom for the payroll. He could give this team an added dimension of speed and offensive creativity.
He’s much better than Wahlstrom.

For all of the flak Lou gets he’s drafted Dobson and Holmstrom, signed MacLean, brought over Iskhakov from Europe (Snow draft pick), and traded for Romanov.

All five under the age of 24.

Reactions: chico19341

SI

Feb 16, 2013
He’s much better than Wahlstrom.

For all of the flak Lou gets he’s drafted Dobson and Holmstrom, signed MacLean, brought over Iskhakov from Europe (Snow draft pick), and traded for Romanov.

All five under the age of 24.
Isk was a 2nd round pick in Lou's first draft that saw the team draft Dobson, Wahlstrom, Wilde, and Isk...
Also, Isk was playing in UCONN at the time and went over to Europe around Covid.

JTToilinginToronto

Isles Fan
Jan 18, 2019
I'd say Lou has done okay drafting, nothing great, nothing terrible.

2018: Dobson is obviously a home run, Wahlstrom and Wilde are busts. Iskhakov is still a wild card right now, but looks promising. If we can get a hit on Iskhakov, Nothing in the later rounds. I'd say this was a successful draft.

2019: Holmstrom was a hit if you had reasonable expectations. Bolduc is still a wild card right now. Nothing in the later rounds. If Bolduc pans out eventually, I'd say this was a successful draft.

2020: Not looking good. Dufour could still make it, but otherwise not much from this one. But we only had third round (or worse) picks, so probably in line with reasonable expectations.

2021 and onwards, probably too early to tell

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
I get the general dismissal of Wahlstrom around here and feel the same way myself much of the time. But I do wonder sometimes if it's possible that the team doesn't feel the same way and will give him another year if they think his injury was a factor this season. I guess we'll find out in a few months.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
Luckily, the Isles didn’t issue this Ish gave a single number, man he’d like smaller than he already does. That 37 gives him some wings.

• Haha
Reactions: Olliemets

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Far be it from me, with my extensive background in street hockey and dek hockey ;), to criticize Crosby. But I just don't understand why a LH shot would skate in wide down the left side on a penalty shot? Granted, he cut to middle as he got to the net, but IMO the top two options are to either come straight down the middle or approach at a slight angle from your off wing. Why give the goalie a better angle on a potential shot? Maybe approach at a slight angle on your forehand side if you want the option of selling the shot and going to the back hand, but not wide like Crosby did....

Tahoeblue

Nov 29, 2019
Reno/Tahoe
I get the general dismissal of Wahlstrom around here and feel the same way myself much of the time. But I do wonder sometimes if it's possible that the team doesn't feel the same way and will give him another year if they think his injury was a factor this season. I guess we'll find out in a few months.
I know this may be unpopular, but I could get behind this. He doesn't make a ton of money but it is about roster spots. I would love to know what his offseason training looks like. Frustrating few years for sure for him. Personally rooting for the kid but his success if it occurs may come with another organization.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Fun game!

Any word on Pageau???

The key tonight was that everyone comes out unscathed!

Iskhakov did some nice things but must have been nervous. Some of the sloppy stick plays surprised me. That's actually his strength. Otherwise, you could see how used to playing AHL hockey he is. In addition, this game was basically shinny, but he was bodied out all over the place.

Worst player on the ice for NYI: Wahlstrom

Just plain sad that it's come to this. Hope we don't need to revert to him in the playoffs.

Nice to see Holmstrom, Bolduc, and MacLean (just loving this kid) put in some good play and gather a few points.

Also, this was the how manyeth game of the season where Sorokin allowed 4 or more goals against?

Last edited:
Reactions: MJF

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
Nice to see Holmstrom, Bolduc, and MacLean (just loving this kid) put in some good play and gather a few points.
Doesn't make much sense to me that he's scored at a 30 point pace in the NHL, and never broke 30 points in the OHL considering that he's neither small, small, nor unskilled. There's got to be an explanation, maybe not as extreme as there was for Devon Toews (a late growth spurt that was a statistical outlier). But there's got to be something.

frankieboy

Mar 10, 2010
Doesn't make much sense to me that he's scored at a 30 point pace in the NHL, and never broke 30 points in the OHL considering that he's neither small, small, nor unskilled. There's got to be an explanation, maybe not as extreme as there was for Devon Toews (a late growth spurt that was a statistical outlier). But there's got to be something.
Double check his stats. He scored 60 points one year in the OHL and 46 points in another.

Reactions: Levi Walking Bear

Top Corner

Feb 27, 2002
Mtl
Visit site
All you need to look at is his skating, not being mobile is such a hindrance and a magnet for penalties.

I think it’s safe to say that the organization views him as a miss and will eventually part ways like MDC

Top Corner

Feb 27, 2002
Mtl
Visit site
Far be it from me, with my extensive background in street hockey and dek hockey ;), to criticize Crosby. But I just don't understand why a LH shot would skate in wide down the left side on a penalty shot? Granted, he cut to middle as he got to the net, but IMO the top two options are to either come straight down the middle or approach at a slight angle from your off wing. Why give the goalie a better angle on a potential shot? Maybe approach at a slight angle on your forehand side if you want the option of selling the shot and going to the back hand, but not wide like Crosby did....
Gives him 2 options, go to his backhand or move the goalie to the shooters right, pull it back and shoot against the grain.(Goalies right side as he moves left)

What I don’t get is why they go too wide when starting out. I seem to feel shooters who don’t go as wide seem to have more success

crashthenet

Jul 9, 2004
Hockey Falls
I'd say Lou has done okay drafting, nothing great, nothing terrible.

2018: Dobson is obviously a home run, Wahlstrom and Wilde are busts. Iskhakov is still a wild card right now, but looks promising. If we can get a hit on Iskhakov, Nothing in the later rounds. I'd say this was a successful draft.

2019: Holmstrom was a hit if you had reasonable expectations. Bolduc is still a wild card right now. Nothing in the later rounds. If Bolduc pans out eventually, I'd say this was a successful draft.

2020: Not looking good. Dufour could still make it, but otherwise not much from this one. But we only had third round (or worse) picks, so probably in line with reasonable expectations.

2021 and onwards, probably too early to tell
I wonder if Tikkanen has potential. First pick was kinda late in the 3rd.

The place came alive last night whenever Ish was on the puck. He got knocked around a bit and certainly no where near ready in the d zone and on the forecheck but those things take time at this level. The player I was happier to see out there was Bolduc. And he was playing the right side, Aho moved up when Pageau went down. I figured some folks would be happy to see that. He still sucks.

Wonder if Roy leaves 15 goal Holmstrom on the bench for Fasching? I wouldn't.

What's the JGP and Dobson outlook?

Nizami Ganjavi

Greasy Meatball
Jul 27, 2022
Iskhakov looked good. He's fast and determined. Reminds me of Cizikas a little. Yes he got knocked around a bit but that was mainly because he's not afraid to stick his nose in. We'll see. Hopefully the kid can carve out an NHL career.

Pageau to me looked like he hyperextended his knee. Quickly cut to his left colliding a defenseman's leg. Went off on his own which obviously is a good sign. But the fact he did not return (when they were already down a forward) is concerning.

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
Need to hope that Pageau is fine for Saturday. Bad to see him not play either way since Nizami is right

Glory Days

Aug 16, 2012
Charlotte
Iskhakov looked good. He's fast and determined. Reminds me of Cizikas a little. Yes he got knocked around a bit but that was mainly because he's not afraid to stick his nose in. We'll see. Hopefully the kid can carve out an NHL career.

Pageau to me looked like he hyperextended his knee. Quickly cut to his left colliding a defenseman's leg. Went off on his own which obviously is a good sign. But the fact he did not return (when they were already down a forward) is concerning.
No need for Pageau to return in a meaningless game.

Reactions: Lek

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad