GDT: Isles v Yotes 7:30 PM

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
I really was gonna be happy this friday but man this news on Gillies is hitting me. I was too young to even see him play but I understand his importance in NHL history

rest in peace to a legend of the dynasty

BillD

Feb 12, 2004
Gillies was Islander royalty.
For most of you guys who never saw him play,
he was a highly skilled power forward that could snipe and was considered one of the very best defensive LW's in the game at the time.
This saddens me immensely.
RIP big guy.

Reactions: MJF

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Terrible news about Gillies, great game from the Islanders.

Bailey was terrific with his passing tonight.

Reactions: Lek

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
This game for long stretches felt like watching a Pinball Machine.

Anyone notice that the Isles completely crater for second periods? I come to expect it now.

I have been interested in the Isles getting Gotisbehere for some time… not really digging that after focusing on him today. Seemed really easy to overpower.

Really like how Salo played today, and how he is coming along overall.

Reactions: BarzyClub and Lek

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021

Anyone notice that the Isles completely crater for second periods? I come to expect it now.

I have been interested in the Isles getting Gotisbehere for some time… not really digging that after focusing on him today. Seemed really easy to overpower.

Gostisbehere still ain't it. He's having a nice season but he definitely isn't the kinda defensemen people expected after that monster 60+ point campaign

slurpee addict

Winter is Coming
Jul 13, 2018
Winnipeg
Gillies was Islander royalty.
For most of you guys who never saw him play,
he was a highly skilled power forward that could snipe and was considered one of the very best defensive LW's in the game at the time.
This saddens me immensely.
RIP big guy.

Gillies was one of the players that made me an Islanders fan. Rip #9. Sad day

Reactions: MarsTBOW and MJF

BarzyClub

Jan 17, 2018

Definitely have noticed. It’s happened For spurts over the last couple of years at least.

it has something to do with the long change imo, our bench being on the other side of the blue line and the offensive team is closer to our end. Being that Our entire game is predicated on defense and not allowing odd man rushes the fact that we have a couple of slow, aging vets back there it seems that our forwards are playing less of a forecheck and more of a neutral zone trap in the 2nd. This results in not Getting the puck far enough out of our zone so that our d can change in a timely fashion.

It’s hard to watch. You would think the coaching staff would tweak something but it’s “all defence all the time” for Trotz.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Definitely have noticed. It’s happened For spurts over the last couple of years at least.

it has something to do with the long change imo, our bench being on the other side of the blue line and the offensive team is closer to our end. Being that Our entire game is predicated on defense and not allowing odd man rushes the fact that we have a couple of slow, aging vets back there it seems that our forwards are playing less of a forecheck and more of a neutral zone trap in the 2nd. This results in not Getting the puck far enough out of our zone so that our d can change in a timely fashion.

It’s hard to watch. You would think the coaching staff would tweak something but it’s “all defence all the time” for Trotz.
It happens to a lot of teams now. The long change, and teams look for it and press while changing quickly themselves.

One thing you had to give Uncle Leo credit for was his ability to get the puck past the defenceman and out, or get a stick on the puck near center to prevent an icing.

I wonder if a good strategy after you ice the puck would be to deliberately do it again right away. That would give the players a bit of time to recover. Obviously not if you have a better option, but if you don't.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad