Speculation: Isles to YES after the move to Brooklyn?

BadFella

"$8 Million Goalie My Ass!"
Jan 9, 2013
Exit 105
With the Nets management team (more or less) running the Islanders, and the Islanders moving to their building in 2015, do you guys think the Isles will eventually follow the Nets over to the YES network? Originally, the Devils were supposed to be heading over there when the Yankees-Nets-Devils had the same ownership group, but they sold the Devils before that could be achieved, so the network has never had NHL hockey.

Technically the Isles are (and have been for as long as I can remember) contracted to be on MSG until 2031, but considering that the Islanders are almost never on MSG and often not even on MSG+ due to Knicks/Rangers/Devils getting higher priority, if I were them, I would want off the "family" of networks, and pay whatever it took to get away from Dolan's grubby hands. Can't do anything about Newsday, but that's another story.

It's going to be hard to attract new casual fans when the team moves, if nobody knows what channel the team will be on, or if they even have the channel.

Fox, not the Yankees, now owns the majority of YES, and the Nets/Islanders management team managed to double the amount of revenue the basketball team gets from the network last year when they extended their contract. It sounds to me like a more attractive destination. Heck, even SNY would be better.

I'm wandering, but the point of the thread is to ask...

1) Do you think the new management team will [whether by paying off Dolan or taking him to court] get the team off of MSG and over to YES/SNY?

and

2) Do you even want the Isles to leave MSG?

SNY may be a more attractive option, since the Mets season ends in early October and they don't have a NBA team to compete with for TV time, so when the Nets and Islanders are playing at the same time, there'd be a need for an overflow channel (a-la MSG2 and MSG+2) on YES, but not on SNY.

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island
I would like to see them on SNY, they have no other major sports on the station except for Baseball which has little conflict with the NHL season.
Will it happen? No chance ;)

kasper11

Feb 27, 2002
New York
Visit site

SNY may be a more attractive option, since the Mets season ends in early October and they don't have a NBA team to compete with for TV time, so when the Nets and Islanders are playing at the same time, there'd be a need for an overflow channel (a-la MSG2 and MSG+2) on YES, but not on SNY.

No. Money talks, and MSG pays a boatload for the Isles. The Isles would not want to break that deal unless SNY matched, which it would not do.

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
At the end of the contract with MSG, maybe they take the games to a different network. But they're certainly not going to buy their way out of that megadeal.

Fantom

Jan 5, 2006
With the Nets management team (more or less) running the Islanders, and the Islanders moving to their building in 2015, do you guys think the Isles will eventually follow the Nets over to the YES network? Originally, the Devils were supposed to be heading over there when the Yankees-Nets-Devils had the same ownership group, but they sold the Devils before that could be achieved, so the network has never had NHL hockey.

Technically the Isles are (and have been for as long as I can remember) contracted to be on MSG until 2031, but considering that the Islanders are almost never on MSG and often not even on MSG+ due to Knicks/Rangers/Devils getting higher priority, if I were them, I would want off the "family" of networks, and pay whatever it took to get away from Dolan's grubby hands. Can't do anything about Newsday, but that's another story.

It's going to be hard to attract new casual fans when the team moves, if nobody knows what channel the team will be on, or if they even have the channel.

Fox, not the Yankees, now owns the majority of YES, and the Nets/Islanders management team managed to double the amount of revenue the basketball team gets from the network last year when they extended their contract. It sounds to me like a more attractive destination. Heck, even SNY would be better.

I'm wandering, but the point of the thread is to ask...

1) Do you think the new management team will [whether by paying off Dolan or taking him to court] get the team off of MSG and over to YES/SNY?

and

THe nets have been running the Isles since when ?

I assume they can not switch of MSG with the Cable deal they have ?

StarBucks

Dec 27, 2004
WANG____MeFoolingYOU
I would say "YES" to the yes network. My reason is The Islanders need to get away from being a 3rd string hockey team. The Islanders have to get away from MSG.

Besides, There are many fans across the country that don't get the feed from the 3rd Channel...

Isles Junkie

Jul 4, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
I would like to see them on SNY, they have no other major sports on the station except for Baseball which has little conflict with the NHL season.
Will it happen? No chance ;)

And one can definitely argue that SNY doesn't even have a major league sports team on their network either.

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
No. Money talks, and MSG pays a boatload for the Isles. The Isles would not want to break that deal unless SNY matched, which it would not do.

This. Abandoning the MSG deal is akin to ripping up a winning lottery ticket. We're not going to find a similiar deal with YES in my opinion.

BadFella

"$8 Million Goalie My Ass!"
Jan 9, 2013
Exit 105
THe nets have been running the Isles since when?

From a business standpoint? Since this Summer.

The Nets already had a TV deal with YES, but they re-negotiated and extended it due to the fact that it had initially been agreed upon when the Nets were in NJ and were far less profitable. Doubled their TV revenue. I think the Isles in Brooklyn will be a similar situation, in terms of marketability. Even without a better TV deal, as the illegitimate redheaded stepchild of M$G, merch will move much faster. Yormark will maximize that.

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
Ah but where will the isles be playing after Brooklyn should be the question.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad