Isles Prospect Talk 2020-21 Pt. II

Status
Not open for further replies.

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
at the same time, heres what i think can matter too: making sure theres always depth

we badly need center depth and its scary how thin it is now

Regardless of how deep a team is at center, they should always be looking for more.

You can move an extra center to the wing, but typically cannot do the opposite (outside of special cases like Brock Nelson, with proper coaching).

In terms of bottom six centers, I think the best chance of uncovering a hidden gem, at minimal cost, might be an overager in Europe or in college.

Although given the chaos in the CHL, if there was ever a chance to steal a player, it will be in this coming draft and perhaps next season.

FractionTwo

Mar 3, 2021
Regardless of how deep a team is at center, they should always be looking for more.

You can move an extra center to the wing, but typically cannot do the opposite (outside of special cases like Brock Nelson, with proper coaching).

In terms of bottom six centers, I think the best chance of uncovering a hidden gem, at minimal cost, might be an overager in Europe or in college.

Although given the chaos in the CHL, if there was ever a chance to steal a player, it will be in this coming draft and perhaps next season.
Agreed, and its why i hope they don't lose a 1st to the kraken or in a trade at the deadline. also felt upset last time not getting a center

MatthewBarnabysTears

Mar 18, 2013

Wasn’t Nelson drafted as a center? I remember him playing wing a bit early on, but that was more of a numbers thing.

Reactions: Kevin27NYI

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
Wasn’t Nelson drafted as a center? I remember him playing wing a bit early on, but that was more of a numbers thing.

Nelson was indeed drafted as a center, then bounced around under the previous regime and their "expert tutelage". He didn't emerge as a true, two-way center until Trotz arrived. But the odds of a player committing fulltime to center and flourishing, at the NHL level, mid career, are slim. You typically move players off of center at that point, when they are floundering, not the opposite.

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
Nelson was indeed drafted as a center, then bounced around under the previous regime and their "expert tutelage". He didn't emerge as a true, two-way center until Trotz arrived. But the odds of a player committing fulltime to center and flourishing, at the NHL level, mid career, are slim. You typically move players off of center at that point, when they are floundering, not the opposite.
Yeah, it's exceptionally rare to see a wing convert mid or late career to a center. Usually you only see it with guys that played a lot of center before making the NHL but have mostly played wing in the NHL due to numbers, like has been mentioned with Nelson. Komarov is another good example of that. The only example I can think of a true winger playing center for any amount of time was Patrik Elias, but that just shows just how unlikely it is.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Yeah, it's exceptionally rare to see a wing convert mid or late career to a center. Usually you only see it with guys that played a lot of center before making the NHL but have mostly played wing in the NHL due to numbers, like has been mentioned with Nelson. Komarov is another good example of that. The only example I can think of a true winger playing center for any amount of time was Patrik Elias, but that just shows just how unlikely it is.
We were running out a Kid Line of Strome, Nelson and Lee that season, IIRC. As soon as they went cold Cappy would break them up, put Strome at center and Lee on a wing, flip them back in the middle of a game. It’s a wonder Nelson and Strome knew what day it was back then. I think Capuano’s tinkering hurt Ryan Strome the worst.

Last edited:

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Center is clearly the position that has been least represented within the organization ever since Barzal graduated.

There's nothing close to a surefire guy just now.

On the other hand, similar to the Dmen, our three best centers are wrapped up for the time being and if Cizikas happens to move on (but will he?), then we not only have Czarnik and Koivula here for now, but Carpenter, Bibeau, and MacLean are being checked out/fostered in the system, Newkirk looks like one of our better overall prospects, and there's Pivonka in college. He's got one more year and is strictly a defensive center by trade.

We also can't and shouldn't forget that Iskhakov is playing center in the Liiga right now, where he has 9-25-34 and +5 in 46 games this season.

What does this all mean for the future?

I've gotta think that the Isles aren't going to draft for position just now.

At some point, the system could use a bit more goaltending depth, but that is something you often want to achieve via free agency.

FractionTwo

Mar 3, 2021
Center is clearly the position that has been least represented within the organization ever since Barzal graduated.

There's nothing close to a surefire guy just now.

On the other hand, similar to the Dmen, our three best centers are wrapped up for the time being and if Cizikas happens to move on (but will he?), then we not only have Czarnik and Koivula here for now, but Carpenter, Bibeau, and MacLean are being checked out/fostered in the system, Newkirk looks like one of our better overall prospects, and there's Pivonka in college. He's got one more year and is strictly a defensive center by trade.

We also can't and shouldn't forget that Iskhakov is playing center in the Liiga right now, where he has 9-25-34 and +5 in 46 games this season.

What does this all mean for the future?

I've gotta think that the Isles aren't going to draft for position just now.

At some point, the system could use a bit more goaltending depth, but that is something you often want to achieve via free agency.
I think that the center depth goes like this rn

Ishakov>Newkirk>Pivonka>Bibeau>Carpenter>MacLean.

They'll definitely get ishakov and newkirk here to bridgeport next season (I hope), and I can guess that the rest will continue to work their way through the ranks. Isles can use goaltending (that Oil kings guy could be a nice pickup even if it is "useless" to draft goalies in the 1st round), so who knows. Again, draft day will be a mess this year and I fully wish the isles take advantage of GM's reaching on swedes/finns just because "they played"

xECK29x

Sponsor
Jul 19, 2006
Deer Park, NY
+ = on IR or just hurt

News Items:
- Dufour injured his left knee, out indefinitely (potentially season ending)

PLAYERPOSACQUIREDHFB RANKTEAMGPGAPTSPIM+/-
+ Noah DobsonD2018 round 1 #121New York Islanders / NHL28391246
Oliver WahlstromRW/LW2018 round 1 #113AIK / HockeyAllsvenskan104488-2
* New York Islanders / NHL257714136
Simon HolmstromRW2019 round 1 #238HC Vita Hasten / HockeyAllsvenskan1111220
* Bridgeport / AHL103250-8
Sweden U20 Team505522
Josh Ho-SangRW2014 round 1 #28GRADOrebro HK / SHL50112-1
* Linkoping HC / SHL42024-2
Kieffer BellowsLW2016 round 1 #194New York Islanders / NHL1230341
Bode WildeD2018 round 2 #415Bridgeport Sound Tigers / AHL80224-6
Arnaud DurandeauLW2017 round 6 #165 Bridgeport Sound Tigers / AHL51012-4
A.J. GreerLWTrade Bridgeport Sound Tigers / AHL70116-9
Cole CoskeyRW2019 round 7 #209 Bridgeport Sound Tigers / AHL520220
Robert CarpenterLW/CFA Bridgeport Sound Tigers / AHL82020-5
Parker WotherspoonD2015 round 4 #112 Bridgeport Sound Tigers / AHL1001117-5
Felix BibeauC2019 round 6 #178 Bridgeport Sound Tigers / AHL50117-1
Mitchell Vande SompelD2015 round 3 #82 Bridgeport Sound Tigers / AHL90334-10
Samuel BolducD2019 round 2 #577Bridgeport Sound Tigers / AHL1034721
Sebastian AhoD2017 round 5 #1399New York Islanders / NHL31122-1
Grant HuttonDFA11Bridgeport Sound Tigers / AHL100228-3
Blade JenkinsLW/C2018 round 5 #134 Bridgeport Sound Tigers / AHL20000-1
Anatoli GolyshevLW/RW2016 round 4 #95 Avtomobilist Yekaterinburg / KHL53121527281
Playoffs / KHL300001
Ruslan IskhakovC/RW2018 round 2 #43 TPS / Liiga4692534225
Robin SaloD2017 round 2 #4610Orebro HK / SHL49624301416
+ William DufourRW2020 round 5 #152 Drummondville Voltigeurs / QMJHL23171229320
Alexander LjungkrantzLW2020 round 3 #90 Brynas IF J20 / J20 Nationell168715127
Brynas IF / SHL1500020
* Stromsbro IF / Ettan14841203
Matias RajaniemiD2020 round 6 #183 * Pelicans / Liiga43369181
Finland U20 Team600002
Otto KoivulaC/LW2016 round 4 #1206HIFK / Liiga143811101
* Bridgeport Sound Tigers / AHL71124-3
Reece NewkirkC2019 round 5 #14713* Portland / WHL332502
Melville Millionaires / SJHL648122-
Jacob PivonkaC2018 round 4 #103 Univ. of Notre Dame / NCAA292798-2
Collin AdamsLW2016 round 6 #170 Univ. of North Dakota / NCAA271120311019
Logan CockerillLW/RW2016 round 7 #201 Boston Univ. ("C") / NCAA1154949
Christian KrygierD2018 round 7 #196 Michigan State Univ. / NCAA2612354-4
Benjamin MirageasD2017 round 3 #77 Providence College / NCAA2511112207
+ Alex JefferiesLW2019 round 4 #12112Merrimack College / NCAA1246102-4
GOALIES GPGAASV%SOW-L-T
Ilya SorokinG2014 round 3 #781New York Islanders / NHL102.08.91527-2-1
Henrik TikkanenG2020 round 7 #214 IPK / Mestis113.26.87806-4-1
* Kalpa / Liiga71.94.92102-2-3
Jakub SkarekG2018 round 3 #72 Pelitat / Mestis44.44.83300-3-1
* Bridgeport / AHL63.05.90101-5-0
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Reactions: Lights911

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Do you think the isles should try to scout central europe more often?

It is really interesting to look at when the last time was that this team drafted out of Switzerland, Germany, Slovakia, or even the Czech Republic (Skarek in 2018). No need to mention Austria or Slovenia.

Seriously, other than Skarek, who immediately headed to Finland after being drafted, the last player we drafted from one of the aforementioned nations was Slovak Tomas Marcinko in..... 2006!

He headed to the Barrie Colts the fall after being drafted.

I may be very biased, but there are more legitimate NHL prospects coming out of Germany than the NHL is - on whole - currently interested in. Naturally, it feels like there are more "impact" German players in the NHL now than ever before, but this past draft with Stützle, Reichel, and Peterka all going top 34 was RECORD-setting for Germany and basically the first time ever that many German kids were picked out of Germany within the top 100 picks. There are some more on the horizon, with Julian Lutz being the name you'll all want to key in on (2022 draft).

Even the Germans we are familiar with basically went through the CHL or more recently college hockey before really gaining notoriety. Greiss is one of the few exceptions in recent memory, having gone from a DEL gig to the AHL.

Reactions: danteipp

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
We were running out a Kid Line of Strome, Nelson and Lee that season, IIRC. As soon as they went cold Cappy would break them up, put Strome at center and Lee on a wing, flip them back in the middle of a game. It’s a wonder Nelson and Strome knew what day it was back then. I think Capuano’s tinkering hurt Ryan Strome the worst.
Yeah, I agree on Strome. He looked great at first, but just regressed more and more the longer he played under Capuano.

FractionTwo

Mar 3, 2021
It is really interesting to look at when the last time was that this team drafted out of Switzerland, Germany, Slovakia, or even the Czech Republic (Skarek in 2018). No need to mention Austria or Slovenia.

Seriously, other than Skarek, who immediately headed to Finland after being drafted, the last player we drafted from one of the aforementioned nations was Slovak Tomas Marcinko in..... 2006!

He headed to the Barrie Colts the fall after being drafted.

I may be very biased, but there are more legitimate NHL prospects coming out of Germany than the NHL is - on whole - currently interested in. Naturally, it feels like there are more "impact" German players in the NHL now than ever before, but this past draft with Stützle, Reichel, and Peterka all going top 34 was RECORD-setting for Germany and basically the first time ever that many German kids were picked out of Germany within the top 100 picks. There are some more on the horizon, with Julian Lutz being the name you'll all want to key in on (2022 draft).

Even the Germans we are familiar with basically went through the CHL or more recently college hockey before really gaining notoriety. Greiss is one of the few exceptions in recent memory, having gone from a DEL gig to the AHL.
isles are due in that region again lol. Kinda expect us to do that if we keep our first two rounders

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
Do you think the isles should try to scout central europe more often?
Hard to gauge if we aren't scouting it enough. Central Europe produces less players than other regions, and a lot of its top prospects end up playing in NA prior to the draft anyway. A quick glance at the last two drafts, and only 12 players in total were drafted from a central European league in those two years combined, and of those 12, only 8 of them were available when the Isles had a pick. So, while it may be that we aren't scouting it enough, it also could be simply that these players haven't happened to be at the top of the Isles' draft board when they had a pick. If we go back one more year, 9 players playing in central Europe leagues were drafted in 2018, and the Isles did draft one of them (Skarek). This also means in those 3 years, the Islanders have used ~5.5% (1/18) of their picks on guys from central European leagues, which is actually higher than the league as a whole at ~3.2% (21/651).

Last edited:

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Hard to gauge if we aren't scouting it enough. Central Europe produces less players than other regions, and a lot of its top prospects end up playing in NA prior to the draft anyway. A quick glance at the last two drafts, and only 12 players in total were drafted from a central European league in those two years combined, and of those 12, only 8 of them were available when the Isles had a pick. So, while it may be that we aren't scouting it enough, it also could be simply that these players haven't happened to be at the top of the Isles' draft board when they had a pick. If we go back one more year, 9 players playing in central Europe leagues were drafted in 2018, and the Isles did draft one of them (Skarek). This also means in those 3 years, the Islanders have used ~5.5% (1/18) of their picks on guys from central European leagues, which is actually higher than the league as a whole at ~3.2% (21/651).

Then again, other than Skarek, the last central European was Marcinko in 2006.

I think those stats may look a little bit different when stretching them over 15 years. Enough so that I think it's safe to say that the Isles aren't really scouting that area with any emphasis. Considering the Czech Republic is one of the traditional six hockey nations, Marcinko is really the only player we've taken "off the beaten path" the last 15 years.

But for sure, when it comes to the draft, you have North America, Sweden, Finland, Russia,... Central Europe (predominantly Czech Republic), other (usually Denmark, Latvia, Belarus, Norway, etc). And it's been that way for more or less the past 10 years. That's just where kids worth drafting are coming from.

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
Then again, other than Skarek, the last central European was Marcinko in 2006.

I think those stats may look a little bit different when stretching them over 15 years. Enough so that I think it's safe to say that the Isles aren't really scouting that area with any emphasis. Considering the Czech Republic is one of the traditional six hockey nations, Marcinko is really the only player we've taken "off the beaten path" the last 15 years.

But for sure, when it comes to the draft, you have North America, Sweden, Finland, Russia,... Central Europe (predominantly Czech Republic), other (usually Denmark, Latvia, Belarus, Norway, etc). And it's been that way for more or less the past 10 years. That's just where kids worth drafting are coming from.
It's true, if we go back through the Wang ownership years there was very little drafting outside of the top 5 countries for players, and I certainly would suspect we were not scouting other areas well, as it was known our budget for scouting for many of those years was pretty low. But I also wouldn't assume that trend remains true with the current ownership and GM. The point of bringing up Skarek wasn't to try to claim that the Islanders do scout central Europe well, but just to show that in the past few years, they haven't avoided drafting from central Europe any more than the rest of the league has, so the lack selections from there could easily just be who's been at the top of the draft board. But at the end of the day, I have no idea how well we scout the area.

FractionTwo

Mar 3, 2021
It's true, if we go back through the Wang ownership years there was very little drafting outside of the top 5 countries for players, and I certainly would suspect we were not scouting other areas well, as it was known our budget for scouting for many of those years was pretty low. But I also wouldn't assume that trend remains true with the current ownership and GM. The point of bringing up Skarek wasn't to try to claim that the Islanders do scout central Europe well, but just to show that in the past few years, they haven't avoided drafting from central Europe any more than the rest of the league has, so the lack selections from there could easily just be who's been at the top of the draft board. But at the end of the day, I have no idea how well we scout the area.
At the same time, the isles have scouted well across europe now. it isn't like they're ignoring nations like a certain other NY team. Maybe they start to look at the czechs because they always have some players around in these drafts, but drafting is the least of our worries right now lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig