Confirmed with Link: Isles Officially Sign G Marcus Hogberg 2 year deal

Fantom

Jan 5, 2006
So a few things here.
We technically have "two" goalies. One is aging but still has some time on his contract (3Y) and played very well for us in the playoffs. But This guy Marcus is not young either. so I don't see where hit fits unless there is more to it then meets the Eye.
Now I have Concerns about Ilya and maybe I am being crazy but I could have sworn he walked out and was not present after a playoff loss when Roy Pulled him for poor play.
Do you want a guy who walks out because he is mad?
Is this story even true ?

looks like ahl replacement for skarek
That is what i think really is going on here. Maybe he is hoping he can get a shot with Varly being a little older ?

Taswell

Oct 4, 2017
So a few things here.
We technically have "two" goalies. One is aging but still has some time on his contract (3Y) and played very well for us in the playoffs. But This guy Marcus is not young either. so I don't see where hit fits unless there is more to it then meets the Eye.
Now I have Concerns about Ilya and maybe I am being crazy but I could have sworn he walked out and was not present after a playoff loss when Roy Pulled him for poor play.

That is what i think really is going on here. Maybe he is hoping he can get a shot with Varly being a little older ?
Take it down about 100 notches. He stood in the player walkway, he didn't walk out of anywhere

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
So a few things here.

Lighten up Francis . . .

EK47

Feb 7, 2013
Middle of the line starter in the SHL really weird signing.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
BTW, Hogberg can't officially sign until July 1st when the 2024-25 season begins. He's not eligible to sign earlier.

Fantom

Jan 5, 2006
Take it down about 100 notches. He stood in the player walkway, he didn't walk out of anywhere
THis is not what i heard. no I could be wrong. i heard he was not in the locker room with the team at the end of the game and that he has left. again it might not be true

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Once Schneider retired, we didn't address the "3rd goalie" scenario and it became very clear for all watching on the farm that if either Sorokin or Varlamov were to fall, we'd have no-one even near capable of filling in as a permanent back-up for a sustained period of time.

I can say that Högberg has played the past 3 seasons for Linköping, a team that was pretty decent this past season, but pretty much lousy the two years before. He was understood as a top 3 goalie in the SHL who won several games a year on his own and stood on his head in keeping some losses very close along the way. I've seen some highlights along the way that had me thinking he was a tick too good for the SHL and I wondered if he'd get another shot.

He was actually Ottawa's back-up for two seasons during the initial pandemic years and before heading back to Sweden.

He's older, so you've gotta think that his addition is all about having a 3rd stringer they'd have no qualms in turning to.

Should prove to be an interesting addition. He's a big boy to boot.

Reactions: NYI365

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
I'm assuming the Euro scouts talked him up and the goalie coaches saw him (live or video) and gave it the thumbs up?

He's 6'5", which is what goalies are trending towards. Someday kids are going to be as amazed about 5'9" goalies as they are now about phone booths.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
At his age, why does he bother swapping the SHL for the AHL??
Well there’s the chance to be claimed on waivers at the beginning of the season depending on injuries around the league.

Also his wife has a North American name but appears to be fluent in Swedish, I was thinking maybe they were looking to raise their family stateside. :dunno:

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
This is not an AHL deal..It's not even a 2-way deal. It's a full NHL deal. Just find it confusing...but depth is good ...Skarek was bad and Appelby is beyond terrible.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
This is not an AHL deal..It's not even a 2-way deal. It's a full NHL deal. Just find it confusing...but depth is good ...Skarek was bad and Appelby is beyond terrible.
Hogberg #2 behind Sorokin. Varly, Pelech, JGP and Palms to TOR for Marner and Tavares.

Oh wait, isn't this the "crazy trade" thread? :sarcasm:

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Once Schneider retired, we didn't address the "3rd goalie" scenario and it became very clear for all watching on the farm that if either Sorokin or Varlamov were to fall, we'd have no-one even near capable of filling in as a permanent back-up for a sustained period of time.

I can say that Högberg has played the past 3 seasons for Linköping, a team that was pretty decent this past season, but pretty much lousy the two years before. He was understood as a top 3 goalie in the SHL who won several games a year on his own and stood on his head in keeping some losses very close along the way. I've seen some highlights along the way that had me thinking he was a tick too good for the SHL and I wondered if he'd get another shot.

He was actually Ottawa's back-up for two seasons during the initial pandemic years and before heading back to Sweden.

He's older, so you've gotta think that his addition is all about having a 3rd stringer they'd have no qualms in turning to.

Should prove to be an interesting addition. He's a big boy to boot.
I brought him up earlier in the season in a different forum (maybe the main one) wondering why he hadn't gotten a shot with another NHL team at a time when some teams were floundering for a goalie. Maybe it was just his inability to sign, but interesting that he's back in the NHL after I was wondering about him several months ago.

Reactions: Chapin Landvogt

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad