Rumor: Isles may have good news on John Tavares as well

Status
Not open for further replies.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Lou is going to legitimize the Isles. Lot of young talent on that team, some good assets, it will be interesting to see how revamped their roster looks next year. I expect them to finish better than the flyers next year.
They can score, that's for sure. If they ever figure out their goaltending and can muster an average blue line, they're a good bet on making the playoffs. Trotz helps as well.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Umm shouldn't that be item no. 1 BEFORE signing the contract?

Please don't tell me Trotz signed with the isles and then thought "Hey I should probably ask JT if he's still gonna be here next season"

I believe there are no other head coaching jobs open at the moment. Isles still need a coach and he needs a job.

Devilsfan118

Sing us a song, you're the Schiano man
Jun 11, 2010
NJ
I don't understand how JT is willing to sign for long term with the Islanders.

He could go literally anywhere he wanted. To any organization. And he sticks with the Islanders.

Don't get it.

Reactions: Lahey

crasherino

May 9, 2013
the Isles hiring Lou was the best thing they could have done

Trotz doesn't hurt either ( I realize that one followed the other).

If JT ends up re-signing, the Islanders have to thank the litany of events that transpired in order for this to happen because if the buffoon that is Garth Snow was still running the show, I think he walks. Not on account of any animus towards Garth, but rather I just don't see Garth making the moves necessary to convince JT that the team is moving in the right direction. The sheer fact that ownership has been willing to pay LL and Trotz shows that they care about the future of the franchise and are willing to put their money where their mouth is.

Scott Malkinson

Sep 29, 2017
There is no way JT signs with NYI before he gets to the UFA market.

They'd have to be closing in on $13M x 8 years for that to happen.

Dipietro39

Jul 15, 2005
He also would have re-signed on July 1, 2017 which was the first chance for him to do that.

Again, there is no chance he signs with Snow/Weight here. The main reason he is likely to stay now is bc Isles ownership is showing him they are all in.

Not that complicated.

I believe there are no other head coaching jobs open at the moment. Isles still need a coach and he needs a job.

He could have sat out a year. Or waited until the first coach got fired.

Or maybe, just maybe, he likes the direction Isles are heading + the $

Scott Malkinson

Sep 29, 2017
Again, why?

He's a week and a bit away from experiencing the UFA market.

The money will be there on July 1st, from the Islanders.

He didn't wait this long to just re-sign with the NYI.

I'm not saying he isn't going to sign with them after he gets to the market but there is no reason for him to sign now and forego the experience of being wined and dined by other teams.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
I didn't read the whole thread, but I HOPE it was mentioned that Andrew Gross has absolutely ZERO credibility and in the past has been known to throw out outright BS just to get people to follow his account.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Again, there is no chance he signs with Snow/Weight here. The main reason he is likely to stay now is bc Isles ownership is showing him they are all in.

Not that complicated.
Since some people on here claimed Tavares would re-sign just because of Lou Lamoriello why hasn't that happened already? He was hired last month on May 22 and right away I heard that means Tavares will be re-signing right away.

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON

Not that complicated.

He could have sat out a year. Or waited until the first coach got fired.

Or maybe, just maybe, he likes the direction Isles are heading + the $

Perhaps but I don't think Trotz only signs if he knows JT is in the fold. The same could have been said for Lou and as you say he has been there for a month, and JT has still not agreed to stay.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

I'm not saying he isn't going to sign with them after he gets to the market but there is no reason for him to sign now and forego the experience of being wined and dined by other teams.

He loses the chance at an 8th year if he goes to July 1st.

If he's going to re-sign with the Islanders, if anything he's idiotic going to July 1st since he'll then re-sign with them anyways for 7 years instead of 8.

The only reason he'd go to July 1st is if he didn't want to re-sign with them. If his first choice is to re-sign, then it makes zero sense to go to July 1st.

If he's curious about offers, he can just wait for the interview period from the draft until June 30th or whatever to gauge interest. But unless he's absolutely 100% convinced he's leaving, it doesn't make sense for him to become UFA.

Scott Malkinson

Sep 29, 2017
He loses the chance at an 8th year if he goes to July 1st.

If he's going to re-sign with the Islanders, if anything he's idiotic going to July 1st since he'll then re-sign with them anyways for 7 years instead of 8.

The only reason he'd go to July 1st is if he didn't want to re-sign with them. If his first choice is to re-sign, then it makes zero sense to go to July 1st.

If he's curious about offers, he can just wait for the interview period from the draft until June 30th or whatever to gauge interest. But unless he's absolutely 100% convinced he's leaving, it doesn't make sense for him to become UFA.

The interview phase starts on Sunday.

He still has a week to meet with other teams before he officially hits UFA.

He can still get his 8 years before July 1.

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Since some people on here claimed Tavares would re-sign just because of Lou Lamoriello why hasn't that happened already? He was hired last month on May 22 and right away I heard that means Tavares will be re-signing right away.

There is no hurry for JT to sign on the Island until June 30 11:59. He just needs to have the Isles best offer in his back pocket prior to the open negotiation window. He can then go out and look for a better offer, take it on July 1st or do a Stamkos and resign with the Isles on June 30th.

Dipietro39

Jul 15, 2005

I never said that. No chance he signs without knowing who the coach is.
I also believe he was waiting on the final cap #.

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007

Maybe he doesn't want the experience of saying no to those teams after being wined and dined.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad