2019 First
Harrington

for

Clutterbuck
Dal Colle
Calgary 2nd 2019
Nelson

I'm thinking this needs to be tweeked

Assuming we opt to take the rebuild approach, which I personally am in favor of, I make this trade. Considering we won’t be that great for the next 2 years anyway, I’m ok with eating Dubinky’s contract while we have the cap space to do so. Milano certainly has talent, and could break through this year given a consistent role. And acquiring another first round pick would help us draft another quality prospect.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
Just so y'all know what to expect, here's what taking on a salary like Dubinsky's would mean for NYI in 2020-2021: it would mean approximately 75 million in cap for 20 players assuming that Barzal gets 10 million AAV, Lee is resigned at 7MAAV, Eberle is let go, Beavillier and Pulock are given long term deals (I guessed 11 million AAV between them), NYI have 2 players on ELC's (Dobson, Wahlstrom), and 2 goalies signed very cheaply (3 million between them). Basically, that means NYI won't be able to sign any mid to high end free agent until the offseason of 2021 unless the cap rises significantly.

NYI taking big salary for the next two seasons is an easy call - NYI should do it. Once you push into 2020-2021 the calculation gets much more difficult.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
That's not bad from a Jackets perspective.

I was thinking along the lines of:
Dubinsky
Milano
2019 First

For

Nelson

I say no from a Jackets perspective. Mayybe if you remove the 1st rounder.

What I'd do is sit Torts down in front of some video of Nelson, and measure his blood pressure while he watches. If he's still healthy by the end of it and says he wants to work with this player, then you maybe do it. Milano's upside though scares me.

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
Just so y'all know what to expect, here's what taking on a salary like Dubinsky's would mean for NYI in 2020-2021: it would mean approximately 75 million in cap for 20 players assuming that Barzal gets 10 million AAV, Lee is resigned at 7MAAV, Eberle is let go, Beavillier and Pulock are given long term deals (I guessed 11 million AAV between them), NYI have 2 players on ELC's (Dobson, Wahlstrom), and 2 goalies signed very cheaply (3 million between them). Basically, that means NYI won't be able to sign any mid to high end free agent until the offseason of 2021 unless the cap rises significantly.

NYI taking big salary for the next two seasons is an easy call - NYI should do it. Once you push into 2020-2021 the calculation gets much more difficult.
Good call Dano and exactly right it's why so many Islander fans don't understand the cap

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
I say no from a Jackets perspective. Mayybe if you remove the 1st rounder.

Obviously, the first rounder is the key to NYI taking on that salary.

What I'd do is sit Torts down in front of some video of Nelson, and measure his blood pressure while he watches. If he's still healthy by the end of it and says he wants to work with this player, then you maybe do it. Milano's upside though scares me.

Between being in the metro division and associated with team USA over the years that Tortarella knows Nelson's game pretty well. God only knows what his opinion is other than strong.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005

Given Islanders needs for Center depth and us having the market cornered on Bottom 6 wingers I would actually do Dubinsky for Clutterbuck(saves Columbus 2.5M in capspace)

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
Given Islanders needs for Center depth and us having the market cornered on Bottom 6 wingers I would actually do Dubinsky for Clutterbuck(saves Columbus 2.5M in capspace)

I would too, but CBJ wouldn't. Maybe if their contracts expired the same year, but they don't.

major major

Feb 18, 2013

You really should be more interested in Milano than a mid-to-late first rounder. Too bad you signed Komarov and are stuck with Ladd, because I think Milano is already far better than both, and has a lot of upside.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
I would too, but CBJ wouldn't. Maybe if their contracts expired the same year, but they don't.

Even if you factor length(3 for Dubinsky vs 4 for Clutterbuck) of contract Columbus saves 4M

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
You really should be more interested in Milano than a mid-to-late first rounder. Too bad you signed Komarov and are stuck with Ladd, because I think Milano is already far better than both, and has a lot of upside.

Milano is one of thsoe guys that should be top 6 or bust. Given that we have Lee, Beauvillier or Nelson(personally I believe Beau should play Center and Nelson 2nd line LW, but up until this point Islander coaches for some reason believe Nelson should play center) and Bellow and a host of other recent LW Draft picks waiting in the wings to get in that top 6 LW role

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Milano is one of thsoe guys that should be top 6 or bust.
This is outdated thinking from the days when "third line" meant "checking line". He'd have to be on a semisheltered scoring line to be most effective right now, but just because he's not a checker doesn't mean 40+ points or bust.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
This is outdated thinking from the days when "third line" meant "checking line". He'd have to be on a semisheltered scoring line to be most effective right now, but just because he's not a checker doesn't mean 40+ points or bust.

My basic point was even if we didn't sign Ladd or Komarov, our need for Milano would still be very small. Now if you could find me the center equivalent of Milano I would be more then happy to take a chance on that guy

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Really? I thought the knock on Milano was his lack of 200 ft game.
I cannot stand Ladd's offensive decline while on that big contract,but I have no real complaint about his defense.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017

I'm personally not interested in middling LW'ers at all. Komorov was a culture signing (yes, whatever that means). And while I can't speak for LL, I suspect Ladd is either going to be dumped or he's going to be the richest guy on the Bridgeport bus sooner than later.

At any rate, Milano + Dubinsky's contract alone is not something I find interesting at all.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Really? I thought the knock on Milano was his lack of 200 ft game.
I cannot stand Ladd's offensive decline while on that big contract,but I have no real complaint about his defense.

Milano doesn't stand out in any way when it comes to D, for better or worse. With his speed and takeaway gifts I can see him actually becoming an above average player in that regard, just a guess.

The issues with Milano are more about cold streaks and making too many low-chance plays, which keeps him moving around the lineup. His arsenal is top notch though and all he has to do to be a well rounded player is simplify his attack, and then the coach will give him a regular top 9 role. For what it's worth he scored goals at a ~1.5 G/60 rate last year, higher than any Jacket, or Islander.

This is just me enjoying scouting the player - I'm not trying to push any trade. If Panarin is moved then Milano will likely get his minutes in Columbus.

LamorielloAndSon

May 28, 2018
I'm personally not interested in middling LW'ers at all. Komorov was a culture signing (yes, whatever that means). And while I can't speak for LL, I suspect Ladd is either going to be dumped or he's going to be the richest guy on the Bridgeport bus sooner than later.

At any rate, Milano + Dubinsky's contract alone is not something I find interesting at all.
I think Ladd has a full nmc this season

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad