Rumor: Isles getting calls on Sorokin

usekakkorightquinn

Oct 18, 2019
Incarcerated Bob tweeted out that Lou has had trade offers for Sorokin.The press says he has rejected his khl team's extension offer and wants to play in the nhl next season.

Sorokin denies a Friedman rumor that he was trying to force a trade and Lou told NY press the team has not changed their plans to bring him over this summer. The article below says Lou has gotten calls on Sorokin.I am guessing because of the Friedman rumor.

Isles fans are pretty divided. Imo the isles lack high end talent and moving Sorokin for a few pieces with lower upside would be Luongo for Kvasha/Parrish 2.0. Isles do need a top 6 scoring sniper,but have Wally/Bellows/Holmstrom developing in Bridgeport.
What do you all think Lou should do?

Islanders goalie prospect Ilya Sorokin addresses trade rumor

Islanders trade rumors: Team receiving calls on Ilya Sorokin

The Islanders would be beyond stupid to trade him. I don't have any faith in the limited talent goalies they have in net now. Greiss is 33 which means he's done pretty soon. Varlamnov is 31. So in 2 years you are looking at his decline. Best case scenario is you find a taker for Wahlstrom who sucks, Bellows who isn't good and try to get some team to give you 15-20 goal types willing to chance it on their potential. Then move Wilde for what you hope is a good forward.

The Real JT

No diving allowed
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
I'd be shocked if Sorokin is traded.

Greiss will walk or be moved at the TDL (unlikely). This leaves an uncertain #2G position for next year.

Varly by all accounts came to the Isles in part with the expectation that his buddy would join him in a year. Trading Sorokin leaves the Isles with an unhappy Varly whose performance has been hot and cold over the past few years. One would think trading his friend might affect his performance. Sorokin's value to the Isles is also far greater than what he would return in a trade.

For me, the only 3 Isles on the no-trade list are Barzal, Pulock and Beau.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
His value has yet to be determined.

Pagnotta at the 4th Period reported Lou was pushing for Hoffnan at the last TDL. At the time other press sources were saying he was shopping his 1st and Bellows for goal scoring.

Someone later tweeted the Panthers did not want 1st+ Bellows, they wanted Sorokin.
Makes sense for Fl when you consider Loungo was about to retire and everyone knew Bob wanted a huge payday.

Cotton

May 13, 2013
If Sorokin wants to be traded (and I know he shot down the rumor that MacKenzie made up) I wouldn't. You're not going to get the return you want and it'd come back to bite you. He's worth more than a top 10 pick, that's for sure. He's arguably been one of the top 3 goalies outside the NHL for a couple years now, can be a starter right off the bat and requires an ELC. No way anyone offers the equivalent of that.

Mackenzie doesn't make up rumours.

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
The Islanders would be beyond stupid to trade him. I don't have any faith in the limited talent goalies they have in net now. Greiss is 33 which means he's done pretty soon. Varlamnov is 31. So in 2 years you are looking at his decline. Best case scenario is you find a taker for Wahlstrom who sucks, Bellows who isn't good and try to get some team to give you 15-20 goal types willing to chance it on their potential. Then move Wilde for what you hope is a good forward.

The Rangers have spoken.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
He only hears rumors or speculation or possible wants and needs and subsequently posts it.

Right, not rumors, just what he's hearing, 95% of which doesn't happen (like all gossip columnists, much more smoke than fire).

Seems like you aren't really sure who Bobby Mac is. He never says anything unless he has concrete sources, otherwise he is clear it is his opinion and he has not heard anything.

denis5

Mar 13, 2007
It was Friedman NOT MacKenzie. Whole different level of credibility, or lack there of. Anyway, I'm sure they are taking calls from teams interested, as they should, but the cost would likely be so high that no one in their right mind would meet it. We'll see, but I believe that the odds are near 100 percent that Sorokin won't be traded.

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
We should absolutely not be considering this. He will be Varlamov's backup until he's NHL ready. Greiss can be moved.

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
We should absolutely not be considering this. He will be Varlamov's backup until he's NHL ready. Greiss can be moved.
This is all smoke in mirrors based on the fact teams are inquiring about him based on his prestige in the KHL. Lou isn't Milbury looking to trade off every prospect that's ever been in the Islanders system.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Goalies, in general, don't have as much value as other positions. So I don't know if the return for Sorokin would be good enough to offset his potential value in nets to the Isles.

FireGerardGallant

The Artist Formerly known as FireDavidQuinn
Mar 19, 2016
Sorokin is not going to give up millions and his KHL superstar status to ride buses over here. There is no way he sees even one day in the minors. If assigned to Bridgeport, I bet a buck right now that he hauls ass back home.
Shestyorkin did why not Sorokin?

Shootertooter

Feb 20, 2016
Sorokin is not going to give up millions and his KHL superstar status to ride buses over here. There is no way he sees even one day in the minors. If assigned to Bridgeport, I bet a buck right now that he hauls ass back home.
[/QUOTE]

That seems more like what a prima donna would do.
I would think a guy who already has millions might willingly make a a few months to a season sacrifice to play in the AHL as a spring board to playing in the best hockey league in the World.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad