Islanders win first playoff series in 23 years

Mach12

Feb 1, 2010
In some markets you just have to play past the officiating, but it sucks to lose like that. I still feel like the Cats are a year or two away from making serious noise in the playoffs.

They're close. Barkov and Trocheck are monsters. Not sure what to make of Reilly Smith. He played well. Does he have another gear (above being a 50 point player, which is not bad these days)?

DelZottoHitTheNetJK

Mar 10, 2011
Refs? Let's just forget about the fact that we constantly came back. Let's forget the fact that we won three overtimes.

I get it, the refs blew a couple of big calls yesterday, but that doesn't just negatw everything the Isles did to get to this point.

It really does though. That game was over. And I guarantee you the odds would have been in Florida's favor for a game 7 at home.

If I was an Islanders fan I would genuinely be a little annoyed at how this went down because now there's an * next to this win that fans will be hearing about forever, and rightfully so.

And to the crowd blaming the Panthers for not scoring.. Who cares? Are teams not allowed to win 1-0? It was obvious both teams were taking no chances which led to a defensive battle.

The Panthers dominated the Islanders all game in possession and deserved the win. They got jobbed and I feel very bad for their fanbase. Even if they don't win game 7 they got robbed of a memorable home game. Great work NHL.

GiveDWrightskates

Jul 9, 2007
Oslo
It really does though. That game was over. And I guarantee you the odds would have been in Florida's favor for a game 7 at home.

If I was an Islanders fan I would genuinely be a little annoyed at how this went down because now there's an * next to this win that fans will be hearing about forever, and rightfully so.

And to the crowd blaming the Panthers for not scoring.. Who cares? Are teams not allowed to win 1-0? It was obvious both teams were taking no chances which led to a defensive battle.

The Panthers dominated the Islanders all game in possession and deserved the win. They got jobbed and I feel very bad for their fanbase. Even if they don't win game 7 they got robbed of a memorable home game. Great work NHL.

What is your problem that you need to come into this thread and try to take the joy away from Islanders fans? You seem like a child throwing a tantrum who needs to go out and spread his unhappiness to those around him by taking their toys and pushing them off the swing-set. "I'm unhappy so now I need to try make other people unhappy", is that how you handle yourself?

If you want to do that in the post game thread, that's one thing, but please take that garbage away from this thread.

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
It's actually kind of funny to see the amount of Sabres fans diminishing the Isles win. I guess they are still stuck in "root for Islanders to lose" mode from that 2014-15 season.

I guess it wasn't enough that you bent us over in that trade. Now you will forever root against us. We apologize for not giving you that lottery pick.

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Good for them but yeah that was a horrible way for Florida to get eliminated on a no call late in the 3rd.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

Boohoo this is hockey, teams get breaks back and forth all the time its what you do with the breaks that count. The Islanders did more than Florida, they buried their chances when it counted most. Florida is gonna be a great team for a long time, sometimes hard lessons like this one are the best for a team moving forward.

They didnt bare down, something that happens to young teams in the playoffs all the time.

MatthewBarnabysTears

Mar 18, 2013
Good for them but yeah that was a horrible way for Florida to get eliminated on a no call late in the 3rd.
people are talking like this was some kind of flagrant game-changing penalty (game-changing in the immediate impact of the trip, not game-changing in the butterfly effect, everything changes the outcome of what comes later sense). it was a trip in the final minute by the losing team that arguably didn't even impact florida's chances at the empty net -- not to go zapruder on this, but if you watch the replay, it looks like Trocheck passes the puck back before the trip.

could they have made a penalty call? sure. but if they did, everyone would have scratched their head. 10/10 times that happens in the same situation in game 6 of a playoff series it wouldn't be called.

wingnutks

Nov 17, 2011
That was the first shift of the game and could easily be seen as a non-penalty.

That doesn't even make sense. I'm a neutral fan and I think there should have been a tripping call. Florida only really needed the 1 goal to win the game, and the next 30+ mins of hockey shouldn't even have happened.

LOL so much bias. Zero debate that the holding the stick was a penalty. He was holding it clear as day, with his hand(not caught up in his equipment), for at least 5 seconds. It was 100% a penalty but the refs let it go. Game 2, JT had a 6" tap in with a wide open net and was blatantly hooked. It happens. Isles fans didnt gripe about it because we were too busy griping about being out-corsied every game.

Also, 2 separate media outlets commented on how hard Gallant had been on the refs since the drop of the puck opening game... maybe he took it too far?

IslandersFan17

Jun 8, 2011
Long Island
Instead of blaming the refs, considering they missed major calls against the Panthers and had called come strange calls against the Islanders. i.e. The phantom roughing call on Matty Marts earlier in the series.

The panthers are a quality team with a very promising future. No two ways about it. Howver, Luongo is just not the man for the job in the post season and Florida didn't have the experience to put the islanders away.

Tavares and Greiss stood on their heads this series and they need to be given the credit they deserve instead of salty panthers fans saying the refs handed us the series.

GiveDWrightskates

Jul 9, 2007
Oslo
Instead of blaming the refs, considering they missed major calls against the Panthers and had called come strange calls against the Islanders. i.e. The phantom roughing call on Matty Marts earlier in the series.

The panthers are a quality team with a very promising future. No two ways about it. Howver, Luongo is just not the man for the job in the post season and Florida didn't have the experience to put the islanders away.

Tavares and Greiss stood on their heads this series and they need to be given the credit they deserve instead of salty panthers fans saying the refs handed us the series.

He had a .934 save % in the series. Don't see how Cats fans can really blame him. Yea Greiss was better this series, but I think any team would sign up for that save % from their starter if you asked them before the series began.

zappa4ever

Music is the Best!
Feb 10, 2010
MD/VA/WV intersection
Not an NYI fan but congrats for getting off the 1993 snide, that's a pretty big monkey for the team and the fans

rough for FLA fans with Luo not realizing where the puck was on the 1st goal and non-call before the GWG but got to give it to the Isles for winning 3 overtime games

SLAPSHOT723

QU! Bobcats!
Jan 14, 2008
Long Island/NYC
www.nhl.com

You don't feel bad for Panthers fans, you just wanted the Islanders to lose.

HockeyMomx2

Extra Medium Water, Hold The Pickles
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2008
The Most Beautiful Place In The World
He was in World Juniors almost a decade ago. Surely you've seen plenty of him since that to think this?

Well if he doesn't live in the Islanders region, and they haven't been in the post season for a national audience for 23 years, yes I'd think there is a very strong likelihood that he hasn't seen much of him. Hell even when I lived in Massachusetts I didn't see much of him and that's 'right around the corner' from their coverage area.

Abe Vukota

Free 2ndGenIslander
Jul 23, 2007
It's actually kind of funny to see the amount of Sabres fans diminishing the Isles win. I guess they are still stuck in "root for Islanders to lose" mode from that 2014-15 season.

I guess it wasn't enough that you bent us over in that trade. Now you will forever root against us. We apologize for not giving you that lottery pick.

How long has it been since we've seen this level of salt from fans of teams our team is better than? The Rangers, the Sabres, the Flyers, the Panthers...this is great! They're golfing, we're playing.

Embrace it; we've been the little guy people were rooting for for too long.

“I don’t want you to be the guy in the PG-13 movie everyone’s really hoping makes it happen,†Trent shouts. “I want you to be like the guy in the rated R movie, you know? The guy you’re not sure whether or not you like yet. You’re not sure where he’s coming from. OK? You’re a bad man. You’re bad man.â€

IslandersFan17

Jun 8, 2011
Long Island
He had a .934 save % in the series. Don't see how Cats fans can really blame him. Yea Greiss was better this series, but I think any team would sign up for that save % from their starter if you asked them before the series began.

I'm alluding to his entire body of work in the playoffs he is very hit or miss and when it was time to make the big save he wasn't the guy to get it done

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
Rangers fans are going to keep hounding Isles threads now, shame they don't have a team in the postseason they can root for.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
How long has it been since we've seen this level of salt from fans of teams our team is better than? The Rangers, the Sabres, the Flyers, the Panthers...this is great! They're golfing, we're playing.

Embrace it; we've been the little guy people were rooting for for too long.

“I don’t want you to be the guy in the PG-13 movie everyone’s really hoping makes it happen,†Trent shouts. “I want you to be like the guy in the rated R movie, you know? The guy you’re not sure whether or not you like yet. You’re not sure where he’s coming from. OK? You’re a bad man. You’re a bad man.â€

Nice Swingers reference buddy.

I think Shawshank Redemption is more apropos to what Isles fans should be feeling today.

Red: ... who crawled through a river of **** and came out clean on the other side."

tumblr_mewgfsicbe1qkk6oy.gif

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007

There is no *, except in the minds of butt-hurt Isles haters. That team and their fans have been crapped on for decades. They'll proudly celebrate and move on while the haters play golf.

This series proved possession does not equal wins. It proved shots does not equal wins. It proved most goals scored each game does equal wins. Sorry Corsi lovers.

Dominating all game in possession (which is wrong, btw, Isles actually dominated OT) does not "deserve" a win. Score a measly second goal with all of that possession, all 90 minutes of it, and they would have won. No one else to blame but themselves. And while they're at it, give credit to an outstanding defensive and goaltending performance.

SLAPSHOT723

QU! Bobcats!
Jan 14, 2008
Long Island/NYC
www.nhl.com
Nice Swingers reference buddy.

I think Shawshank Redemption is more apropos to what Isles fans should be feeling today.

Red: ... who crawled through a river of **** and came out clean on the other side."

tumblr_mewgfsicbe1qkk6oy.gif

500 yards, that's the length of 5 football fields = 23 years, that's the length of an entire young man's education + two years in the professional world (me).

StillAnIslesFan

Feb 26, 2010
Yeah, it was the refs, not Luongo letting in an easy wraparound goal, nor jagr with zero pts.

Also, as others said, it is always one-sided one one only looks at one side. There were penalties that were BS, and missed calls. There were a few that didnt go the isles way last night, but the TEAM needs to stand tall and overcome that BS. Maybe Martin got that 'gift' as a return for at least 2 penalties he took in the series that weren't, like a slashing call when he flipped the other players stick up to to get the puck, and here I thought slashing meant the players actually slashed someone, not get their stick off the puck. See how I did that. I put a nice spin on it and everything, but really mattered was that the Isles KILLED the penalty.
Speaking of penalties, the isles have the 4th best penatly kill in the league this year, but it was the refs, not the isles who won, wah, wah, wah. I feel bad for the cat, I like that team, and didnt want the isles to play them.

And last I checked, it was JT, not a ref who put the biscuit in the basket twice last night!

rileymac79

Nov 18, 2009
Winnipeg

my god dude, suck it up...

hunter7isles

Feb 22, 2007

I don't see an asterisks anyone. Just salty haters. :nod:

Abe Vukota

Free 2ndGenIslander
Jul 23, 2007
Rangers fans are going to keep hounding Isles threads now, shame they don't have a team in the postseason they can root for.

tVoJv4X.png

Well, with predictions this good, we can only hope they keep coming back.

The rage is glorious. As soon as you win that series, the drought disappears and everyone's perspective flips.

Last edited:

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
If the Panthers were the better team they would have won in four, won in five, won in six or won in seven. They lost in six. They could have had the puck 99% of the time and it doesn't matter. They were not the better team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad