Proposal: Islanders vs Leafs (defense for Offense)

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
The deal is centered around 2 players Toronto values, for 1 player in exchange they value to fill a hole.

Leddy and Hickey would be flipped for picks. Let's say together they hold a 2nd, 3rd, and 5th value, with the main value being Mayfield in exchange for Hyman and Nylander. I think leafs would rather only trade 1. I also think if Nylander is going, Leafs look for something of value back with Mayfield, not someone they flip.

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
The deal is centered around 2 players Toronto values, for 1 player in exchange they value to fill a hole.

Leddy and Hickey would be flipped for picks. Let's say together they hold a 2nd, 3rd, and 5th value, with the main value being Mayfield in exchange for Hyman and Nylander. I think leafs would rather only trade 1. I also think if Nylander is going, Leafs look for something of value back with Mayfield, not someone they flip.

The value is in a 27 year old middle pairing RHD who is huge, mean and can skate... and is also making peanuts.

I don't think Nylander would fit into Trotz system well anyway to be honest. It's a paradox, the NYI need goal scoring... but the system that makes them a good team, also saps players of offense. They need to single out and target players who excel in that system .

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Nylander for Dobson one for one. Nylander is 24 and coming off a 30 goal season. Leafs need better D, but if they are trading Nylander, they can do better than Leddy and Hickey
No thanks.

Isles are set down the middle( not that WN has looked impressive at center in the nhl) and the isles won't move a 20 yr old Dobson ( or Pulock) for a winger.

carparkno1

Oct 12, 2011
f*** no to Dobson straight up, but at least it's better than the garbage offered in OP.

The "garbage" in your mind consistently gets the islanders into the playoffs with one of the best GAA.

The leafs need that, in case you hadn't noticed. Nylander has underperformed on a contract too big. Maybe, just maybe, the leafs might be the ones who need to give something up here... What with not making the playoffs again.

Reactions: A Loyal Hot Dog

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
The value is in a 27 year old middle pairing RHD who is huge, mean and can skate... and is also making peanuts.

I don't think Nylander would fit into Trotz system well anyway to be honest. It's a paradox, the NYI need goal scoring... but the system that makes them a good team, also saps players of offense. They need to single out and target players who excel in that system .
Yes, that's what I said. The value is only Mayfield. I think Leafs look for something of value added with Mayfield, because the other 2 pieces are going to be flipped and not needed. There's no value in Leafs acquiring Leddy and Hickey.

Reactions: Jester9881

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Leddy is also in every trade proposal from NYI fans here on the board. I don't say he is bad or declining. But he is the d-man with assumed value in trade, which stings your fan base the least. I think acquiring Nylander will sting more.
isles shouldn't want to move the more valuable RHDs Dobson & Pulock and with the isles needing cap space,that leaves Leddy's $5m+ cap or Boychuk's $6m cap hit($4m in actual salary). Leddy is younger

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
The "garbage" in your mind consistently gets the islanders into the playoffs with one of the best GAA.

The leafs need that, in case you hadn't noticed. Nylander has underperformed on a contract too big. Maybe, just maybe, the leafs might be the ones who need to give something up here... What with not making the playoffs again.
Underperformed for a short year you mean. This year Nylander performed for more than his contract, and his 2 first season are about what you get these days on a 6.9 /year deal. So if he's a 65ish point player going forward, his contact won't be seen as underperformed.

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
Someone will take Leddy in a picks/prospects type deal. Probably a team in need of a top 4 puck moving LHD that strikes out in free agency. Boychuk will retire an Islander, his contract isn't as moveable and won't be as dire once Leddy is moved.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON

Lmao, you're insane if you think we're going to give up a 1st line, play driving winger that finally broke out of his ridiculous sh% slump this season for a bunch of garbage pieces.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
NYI-
Nick Leddy 5.5mil AAV 2 years remaining.
Scott Mayfield 1.4mil AAV 3 years remaining
Thomas Hickey 2.5mil AAV 2 years remaining

total Cap about 9.4mil

TOR-
William Nylander 6.9 AAV 4 years remaining
Zach Hyman 2.25 AAV 1 year remaining

total Cap about 9.15mil

Picks could be added on either side if need be.
I have always liked Hyman, but he is going to be in for raise the following year. Nylander, no thanks, he is not an Islander, he is far too soft in the playoffs. Also, Ehlers may be a better option if Jets want D. He makes 6M not 7M and he is not shy of the corners as Nylander is. Give me Ehlers or Hyman. Those are Islanders.

Reactions: SI90

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vincent Clortho School for wizards
Nylander for Dobson one for one. Nylander is 24 and coming off a 30 goal season. Leafs need better D, but if they are trading Nylander, they can do better than Leddy and Hickey

Honestly, the Isles really can't afford that. They have one of the worst cap situations in the league in a flat cap time (as of right now). They desperately need a competent player playing for peanuts.

But I think that this deal make more sense to center around Pulock as opposed to Leddy; the latter has nominal value in my opinion. Good player, but it's very obvious that if someone is going to get squeezed out in that group, its likely to be him. Its the same situation as Killorn in Tampa; he's going to get moved at a discount just to get him off the books.

WangMustGo

Mar 31, 2008
Long Island
Honestly, the Isles really can't afford that. They have one of the worst cap situations in the league in a flat cap time (as of right now). They desperately need a competent player playing for peanuts.

But I think that this deal make more sense to center around Pulock as opposed to Leddy; the latter has nominal value in my opinion. Good player, but it's very obvious that if someone is going to get squeezed out in that group, its likely to be him. Its the same situation as Killorn in Tampa; he's going to get moved at a discount just to get him off the books.

Isles are absolutely not trading any of Pulock, Pelech, or Dobson for a soft overpaid winger like Nylander.

Reactions: PWJunior

WangMustGo

Mar 31, 2008
Long Island
Then I don't think it's a fit, unless the Leafs really value Leddy...which LIS, is not how I personally would value him (again, though no fault of his own as a player, but just based on circumstance, age, etc).

No argument there. Leddy is a decent middle pairing guy, nothing more, nothing less. I wouldnt expect a Nylander return for him.

Mayfield is realistically the isles best chip for a good forward, but the isles need to shed cap before doing so.

Reactions: Forge

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002

RHD Pulock has quietly developed into a stud,helping anchor the top pairing. Isles will not be trading Pulock.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Knowing Lou, he places more value on D and G than almost any other GM in the NHL. He has good reason for this, having won 3 cups with this formula. He is not trading Pulock, Dobson, Pelech, barring a deal that he can't say no to. An overpayment. The Isles are built from the G out. Not from the F and in.

WangMustGo

Mar 31, 2008
Long Island
RHD Pulock has quietly developed into a stud,helping anchor the top pairing. Isles will not be trading Pulock.

I think te Pelech-Pulock pairing will turn alot of heads this series. They pretty much shut down Barkov-Huberdeau last series. This series they will get some prime time games and will be matched up against the caps top line all series long.

Reactions: CREW99AW

carparkno1

Oct 12, 2011
Lmao, you're insane if you think we're going to give up a 1st line, play driving winger that finally broke out of his ridiculous sh% slump this season for a bunch of garbage pieces.

That 1st line player together with your other superstars is helping you to consistently achieve the sum of nothing. You need gritty talented stay at home defenceman. You can wail on all you like about how skilled he is but it achieves nothing. Stop thinking about what you think he's worth and start thinking about the worth to your team. Nylander can be replaced, you don't have anyone like Mayfield.

ConnorMcNugesaitl

Sep 23, 2012
I don't see Toronto trading for one LHD let alone two and Mayfield isn't a good enough starting point for Nylander.

ClevelandUke

Aug 4, 2020

you would think at some point Toronto fans have to stop treating all their players like they are wayne gretzky

Reactions: carparkno1

ConnorMcNugesaitl

Sep 23, 2012
That 1st line player together with your other superstars is helping you to consistently achieve the sum of nothing. You need gritty talented stay at home defenceman. You can wail on all you like about how skilled he is but it achieves nothing. Stop thinking about what you think he's worth and start thinking about the worth to your team. Nylander can be replaced, you don't have anyone like Mayfield.

That's a clown post bro

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
I think the only reason people are using Mayfield as a trade chip is because they expect to lose him to Seattle. As of now, even with Leddy gone, Mayfield is pretty much a lock to get snatched up in expansion. It's really a no-brainer if he ends up unprotected, so I get why the thought to deal him now exists.

Dobson is going nowhere, btw. Even if a 1 for 1 deal for Nylander was available it wouldn't make sense for the Isles.

Personally the Mayfield for Nylander deal sounds pretty reasonable. If you think it's trash it's probably because you're not familiar with Mayfield and the Isles, but he's exactly the type of D that Toronto needs. Isles unfortunately can't take on that big of a bump though.

Personally I'd look to the rumor(no idea if it was legit or not) I heard of Pulock+ for Boeser. I love Pulock but he's going to get a nice raise as well, and if you make this deal it allows you to keep Mayfield and his beauty of a contract. Dobson can then be groomed to become Pelech's long-term D partner on the top pairing.

....but yeah, if I were Toronto and could get Mayfield straight up for Nylander without any retention, I'd be all over it. With the amount you save there, if you could then clear out one more reasonably priced contract you could potentially make a play for Pietrangelo as well. Adding two guys like that to your blue-line would be an unbelievable upgrade.

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
NYI-
Nick Leddy 5.5mil AAV 2 years remaining.
Scott Mayfield 1.4mil AAV 3 years remaining
Thomas Hickey 2.5mil AAV 2 years remaining

total Cap about 9.4mil

TOR-
William Nylander 6.9 AAV 4 years remaining
Zach Hyman 2.25 AAV 1 year remaining

total Cap about 9.15mil

Picks could be added on either side if need be.

How about Barry Trotz for William Nylander?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad