GDT: Islanders v Canes - Festivus Edition

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Friedmann's comments on SN earlier tonight were that teams with goalies "for sale" know it and are looking to extort those in need. As they should. Meaning don't expect us to do anything but hope Freddie's got a lot of bandages when he comes back.

I mean, it's gotten to the point where we've got to overpay. There's nothing to be done but to grin and bear it, because goaltending is literally the only weakness of this team now that the special teams have appeared to have righted themselves.

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
Beyond burns, Slavin has not been at his previous outstanding level either this year. On the ice for four goals.

I’d move burns down to 3rd pair (rod will never do that to a veteran reflecting on how he was done but….) but it all comes down to goaltending. Will be a challenge to make the playoffs if Freddie doesn’t come back.

Reactions: Tryamw

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
Also after the 1st goal Rod and the refs were engaged in the dumbest standoff ever: Rod was clearly waiting to send out the guys, under rhe guise of checking for goalie interference, so the ref would come over to tell him to move it,.so Rod could then politely ask wtf and shout at them for a bit.

But the refs knew Rod's game and didn't bite. So Rod eventually caved

Reactions: Tryamw

ndp

Hurricanes Pessimist
Oct 29, 2015
I’m sure Staal is a great leader in the room but watching Aho in the post-game he just screams captain to me.

Wonder if he’ll have to wait until the end of that Staal contract to get the C, or leapfrog Martinook to be next in line.

Man they all look really beat after this loss. Haven’t really seen Rod with this demeanor in a while.

Tryamw

Loyal Fan of Jerks
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2016
Durham
Well I "upgraded" my PC and it worked great for a few hours... Now I have to determine if it's my new VC or my monitor or the cable!!

Pretty sure I eliminated the video card.. So I'm just cursed.. my best result now would be Cable
Monitor... It has blobs on HDMI... No display via DP... Still under warranty..

ndp

Hurricanes Pessimist
Oct 29, 2015
When we can actually score goals, our goaltenders look like beer leaguers.

When our goaltenders actually make saves, our forwards look like they belong in the beer leagues

Very frustrating to watch… sigh
Cause and effect?

Maybe it’s how teams with elite goaltending get away with playing a little more run and gun offensive style of hockey?

Teams like TB don’t have to play as conservative defensive hockey because they know their goaltending is going to steal a few games of a seven game series?

hblueridgegal

Timing is Everything
Sponsor
Sep 13, 2019
Old North State
My one and only child while visiting for the holidays informed me that in addition to the Canes, he felt like he should pick a secondary team in the NY area to support to make things fun. I assumed he was going to say the Isles given the in-laws attachment to them and their swanky box, and the likely move out there. But no, he said the Rangers. I felt the breath leave me. The really fun cousins are big fans so he can join up with them I suppose. Cause for disinheritance?

ndp

Hurricanes Pessimist
Oct 29, 2015
Monitor... It has blobs on HDMI... No display via DP... Still under warranty..
I get weird green/blotchy BIOS with AMD cards on my current machine. BIOS is still usable and hasn’t ever (knock on wood) shown up outside of BIOS so I’ve left it alone.

Put in an old Nvidia card and problem goes away. Hardware is weird sometimes.

Reactions: zman77 and Tryamw

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
We might be in 5th in the Metro, but we have played the most games in the division outside of Columbus, and if Pittsburgh and New Jersey win their 2 games in hand, we'll be in 7th

So that's good

Blueline Bomber

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
We might be in 5th in the Metro, but we have played the most games in the division outside of Columbus, and if Pittsburgh and New Jersey win their 2 games in hand, we'll be in 7th

So that's good

We’re also tied with the most road games in the league with Tampa Bay, and play a bunch of home games in January. Wait until the end of that month before losing your shit.

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
Wow, 5 goals to the Isles, eh? On 28 shots. Yikes.

It's gotten to the point where I've even stopped watching on TV. Somebody let me know when they do something.
Yea, I've stopped watching when the team/goalie is playing like shit, because it's far more likely you'll miss an infuriating shit game that the rare big comeback victory. I made the right choice at 3-1

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
1703444989125.jpeg

And our top pairing defensemen are? Time for a pairs shakeup.

SMF line sure could use the Xmas rest too

Blueline Bomber

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
We'll see what happens against Nashville. Some rest will obviously do some well for a lot of the players, including some that are nursing undisclosed injuries.

And with the holiday freeze, we won't get any goaltending help until at least the 28th (I believe), so all we can do is hope for the best

Bub

I like griping
Jul 5, 2006
Maine
We'll see what happens against Nashville. Some rest will obviously do some well for a lot of the players, including some that are nursing undisclosed injuries.

And with the holiday freeze, we won't get any goaltending help until at least the 28th (I believe), so all we can do is hope for the best

So PK is going to start both games of the back-to-back? (I know we don't *know* but that's how it looks.)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad