Staples Twitter: Islanders sign BU’s Bobo Carpenter

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
55-37855-bobo-smiling-1481642030.jpg

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006
If the Isles can get Nico Sturm also, a big Center. It would be quite a coup for The Isles.

This is what I don't get about signing the college FA's now. With scouting the way it is these guys don't fall through the cracks too often. So why waste contracts on guys like this? All of them are most likely AAAA players at best. Otherwise they would have been drafted.

It's not the year 2000 when scouting was iffy at best.

Reactions: Hagstrom

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
This is what I don't get about signing the college FA's now. With scouting the way it is these guys don't fall through the cracks too often. So why waste contracts on guys like this? All of them are most likely AAAA players at best. Otherwise they would have been drafted.

College free agents are a long shot. But there are a few that do make it, to warrant a contract. It's only money. I don't know much about Sturm other than he is the prized college signing this year. There are no guarantees, but he is supposed to be a strong defensive center. Big young man too.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
I remember him from prospect camp, and he definitely stood out in terms of maturity.

There's nothing surprising or exceptional about this. NYI have terrible center depth, and LL brought someone in who can play in various roles. Otoh, I don't think there's any reason to believe he will be a high end bottom six player like John Madden or Casey Cizikas.

Kasparaitis

Jan 25, 2017
For Butch he'll be Bilbo, Bambi and Bozo every other game...

So his father was an assistant for Lou at the Devils? Let's hope he is not just doing him a favour signing his son, but that the kid can actually play.

His father was also a very good center on a Stanley Cup winning team and many other good squads.

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009

Because we need players at the AHL level so our prospects are not developing with literal garbage on their line.

PROMputt

I promise to never forget.
Jan 4, 2008
Lawnguyland
Im excited and know nothing about him
My take, he has as much a chance to make it in the NHL as a 4th round pick. Cost nothing but money so it's a shot the Islanders scouts(LL) like. Not all 4th round picks and later get signed anyways and players mature a different ages so the later picks are a crap shoot. I don't like signing to many college FA's but I also do not like to at least give one a chance every now and then.

Bronson

Apr 5, 2007

Well some players take a lot longer to develop than others.

Reactions: Riseonfire

DarkHorse2

Feb 27, 2002
Because we need players at the AHL level so our prospects are not developing with literal garbage on their line.

Problem is, our AHL team is loaded with some of the best in that league up front. We just don't have any prospects to line-up alongside them (outside of Otto, Bellows and JHS.) At least our D prospects are getting the chance to develop with a winner. Wish we had a prospect goalie down there.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
I assume he’ll sign a tryout agreement wih Bridgeport like Hutton did.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad