Staples Twitter: Islanders sign BU’s Bobo Carpenter

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
55-37855-bobo-smiling-1481642030.jpg

"Morrie's Wigs Don't Come Off " Goodfellas

Macch

Mar 22, 2010
Interesting that his biggest weakness apparently is his skating.

Watching him during the Isles camp, i thought he was very elusive.

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
This is what I don't get about signing the college FA's now. With scouting the way it is these guys don't fall through the cracks too often. So why waste contracts on guys like this? All of them are most likely AAAA players at best. Otherwise they would have been drafted.
And now 48 of 50 contracts as well.

Even with Bobo, we only have 6 non-NHL roster forwards signed for next season. Other than extensions for MDC and JHS, and maybe signing Wahlstrom, we don't really have any unsigned forward prospects we need to or even necessarily should sign right now, so it's not like he will be blocking anyone with better potential. Realistically, it just means we sign one fewer journeyman AHLer this summer, which I don't see as a problem, personally.

I don't think he's likely to make the NHL and if he does I highly doubt it'll be in any more than a checking capacity. But I do like that he's known for his work ethic and leadership, so hopefully he can contribute well in Bridgeport.

He has a good release on his shot, so if his skating can continue to improve, maybe he can be more than that. But with BST needing forwards for next year, getting a guy for no assets that at least has some potential is a solid, though admittedly unexciting, move.

If the Isles can get Nico Sturm also, a big Center. It would be quite a coup for The Isles.
Agree on this one. I like his NHL potential as a middle 6 two way forward quite a bit.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chapin Landvogt

NJDraft

Feb 27, 2002
Lou has probably known his father--Bobby-- since he was 15. Most sons of NHL'ers do not make it after college careers. Bret Hull being a large exception.

Glorydays22

Nov 21, 2011
Why not give him a shot now with the club? Remember back in the days when guy like Flatley, Morrow and others came right from college and olympics and help us. At this point nothing else isn't working.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Why not give him a shot now with the club? Remember back in the days when guy like Flatley, Morrow and others came right from college and olympics and help us. At this point nothing else isn't working.
I can't say that I don't disagree with that. ;)

Seriously though, Flatley was a 1st round pick and Morrow was coming off playing the shutdown role in a win against probably the best team in the world. Carpenter isn't nearly as ready from what we hear. Also, he apparently has dealt with injuries this season. And also there's contract stuff (like burning a year) involved I'm sure.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad