Value of: Islanders rebuild

nyrallday

Apr 23, 2024
Some of us fans would like to see a cup and are not interested in completely wasting years until they are forces to rebuild
I don't blame you but the Islanders are an older team that barely made the playoffs. They have a lot of older veteran guys. I'm not sure what they can really do other than be 1st round fodder for someone

Green

Nov 13, 2019
Look at how many teams talk about goalie issues. Sorokin didn't have a very good season but you want to kick him to the moon? That just doesn't make sense right now. He's a goalie that can steal you games. I don't see you using that money on some big, young fish coming back.

Horvat just signed. He's not being traded. Barzal isn't being traded this offseason. You'll have to look at other pieces.

The first step should be to get rid of the scrubs. Not get rid of your best pieces to start a tear-down.
It's not about kicking Sorokin to the moon it's about looking at this team objectively and realizing there is absolutely no way they are able to win a cup and it's time to rebuild under a different model

Reactions: vtdevils2k

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Boston or Toronto rebuild incoming soon, lol
8 HC changes since game 1 this season, plus likely change in Columbus and possibly for a team who loses in round 1. 2 GM changes as well, and also possible to see a GM let do after round 1.
That includes rebuilding SJ and 3rd year SEA making changes.

Unless a team absolutely has to do it, most are going to try to compete for the PO.

WangMustGo

Mar 31, 2008
Long Island
Or- hear me out- they trade for Marner.

Dude will be dirt cheap and will want outta Toronto, he makes the roster viable again for one season where they weren’t winning the cup anyways. Boom, deal.

I don’t know where you are getting Marner for dirt cheap. I think Toronto would get better offers elsewhere, but I would love to add Marner.

Barzal in MTL would be a great fit

Barzal isn’t being moved.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
lou isn't smart enough to rebuild. the greatest thing ledecky could do would be to get rid of that senile coot and his dickface son.

Reactions: Green

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
Look at how many teams talk about goalie issues. Sorokin didn't have a very good season but you want to kick him to the moon? That just doesn't make sense right now. He's a goalie that can steal you games. I don't see you using that money on some big, young fish coming back.

Horvat just signed. He's not being traded. Barzal isn't being traded this offseason. You'll have to look at other pieces.

The first step should be to get rid of the scrubs. Not get rid of your best pieces to start a tear-down.

How are you going to replace the scrubs with anything but scrubs? There's almost no cap space, and the major part of the salary has movement protection.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Washington not going thru full rebuild.
I know. I was replying to the OP. Pretty much always see a rebuild thread for a PO that loses.

Wash isn’t rebuilding but no longer buying Now players. They will ride out Ovy til he breaks the goal record. Probably only add vets on short term deals to help keep the team competitive enough for Ovy to get the record.

WangMustGo

Mar 31, 2008
Long Island
lou isn't smart enough to rebuild. the greatest thing ledecky could do would be to get rid of that senile coot and his dickface son.

I wouldn’t rebuild, but I would retool the roster. Over the next 2 years move all of Palmieri, Pageau, Nelson, Lee, and Pelech. Let the UFAs walk (Clutterbuck/Martin).

A full scorched earth rebuild doesn’t make sense. The isles don’t need to become the next Sabres and miss the playoffs for a dozen years.

Build around Sorokin, Dobson, Barzal, and Horvat.

Reactions: norwegianislander

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I wouldn’t rebuild, but I would retool the roster. Over the next 2 years move all of Palmieri, Pageau, Nelson, Lee, and Pelech. Let the UFAs walk (Clutterbuck/Martin).

A full scorched earth rebuild doesn’t make sense. The isles don’t need to become the next Sabres and miss the playoffs for a dozen years.

Build around Sorokin, Dobson, Barzal, and Horvat.
Don't have to wait around until contracts expire. That first trio can be moved to half the league.

Just not expecting a lot in return. Probably a 3rd, maybe make it conditional depending on production where it could get to a 2nd. But, the main goal is some cap room and a change, especially the need to find faster players.

The main group that got them to back to back final 4, needs a reboot. Have to inject some new life onto the roster.

WangMustGo

Mar 31, 2008
Long Island
Don't have to wait around until contracts expire. That first trio can be moved to half the league.

Just not expecting a lot in return. Probably a 3rd, maybe make it conditional depending on production where it could get to a 2nd. But, the main goal is some cap room and a change, especially the need to find faster players.

The main group that got them to back to back final 4, needs a reboot. Have to inject some new life onto the roster.

I would move Pageau and Pelech this summer. Both Palmieri and Nelson can be moved at the deadline. Nelson should get a 1st at the deadline, Palmieri really depends on his production. I don’t expect much back for Pageau. I would think Pelech could net a decent return.

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
Attn Lou

You want PLD!
you-dont-want-to-buy-that-new-tv-you-want-to-get-your-credit-fixed.gif

• Haha
Reactions: Chainshot

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I would move Pageau and Pelech this summer. Both Palmieri and Nelson can be moved at the deadline. Nelson should get a 1st at the deadline, Palmieri really depends on his production. I don’t expect much back for Pageau. I would think Pelech could net a decent return.
Issue with keeping soon to be UFAs is that if you are still in the mix, can the team really move them? It likely cost Pitt a PO spot moving Guentzal. Everyone has to be on board that no matter what, they have to move them at the TDL regardless of standings. Or you just take what you can get for them now in the off-season. I mean, people in Cal were upset they sent Toffoli to NJ for a 3rd and Yegor. Toffoli ends up getting moved at the TDL for a 3rd and 2nd. Probably less than what Ca got given Yegor's production. I think Cal can get more than a 2nd for Yegor in a trade.

PettersonHughes

Aug 26, 2020
Has Patrick Roy's arrival and coaching systems influenced the kind of players that would thrive? Your team usually plays slow, defensive, physical games which would be buffered by Sorokin in the back, while Dobson/ Barzal/ Horvat/ Palmieri would be the sources of quicker offense that I can see. Lee as Captain and Pelech/ Pulock as the top D pair should be capable as ever.

Perhaps as mentioned, Nelson and Palmieri may go for younger players? Also I know Martin and Clutterbuck are on your Identity Line but I wonder if it's time to move them for cheaper guys, and I don't understand your love for Engvall, he's slow and not really that offensive for a top-6 winger. If anything, I think it'd make sense for some wings on short contracts to get moved for wings with upside and two-way games, since Horvat - Nelson - Pageau would still be a strong center group. The core looks strong overall but (maybe along with moving on from Holmstrom/ Wahlstrom, or giving them 3rd line roles?) the top end could still use help.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
No way to move that many guys out.
Best case is to find new homes for Nelson and Palmeri who have a year left and JGP who has 2 left. Change up the mix and get younger. A team looking to turn the corner may want to add a veteran with minimal term.

What are they paying to dump them?

Crazy8oooo

Puck Off!
Sep 12, 2010
Orange County
Going to channel my inner Bern….

1 conditional 3rd, 4 4th’s, 6 6ths, , Goodrow @9% and 39 months of free soda to the Isles team for Barzal @50%.
You forgot to add that Barzal is useless to the Isles since they’ll be rebuilding and Goodrow is a great bottom 6 add with the retention. The picks will help them stock their pipeline as well.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
What are they paying to dump them?
With a year left they may be able to dump them for nothing but a swap of draft positions in the mid rounds and a contract slot in return.
If you are Anaheim or Utah better to pick up one of that trio for a year or two than hand a Killorn a 4 year contract.
But, I think there may be more than a few teams in that situation of looking to move a veteran forward with minimal term, so the buyers will have options and can pick the best fit be it position or style of play.

Last edited:

EastVillageBlues

Feb 18, 2019
It's not about kicking Sorokin to the moon it's about looking at this team objectively and realizing there is absolutely no way they are able to win a cup and it's time to rebuild under a different model

A few years ago, Sorokin was discussed in the same breath as Shesterkin.

My how times have changed.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
what young talent? Dobson and maybe Romanov are the only young talent, this team has hit a wall and there is absolutely no way to improve them given how weak the farm is, the "core" of Barzal/Horvat/Sorokin/Pelech/Pulock will just be wasted over the next few years on a below average team until it is time to trade them when they will be over the hill
Montreal may have interest in Barzal. What you have to have for him?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad