Confirmed with Link: Islanders Re-sign Varlamov

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
If Sorokin misses 15-20 games, I want Varly in there.
If Turkedurken goes down in NYC, Quick leads them right into lotto land.

OTT said they needed more saves last year…so LAK sign Talbot (OTTs problem they wanted to get rid of) as their backup to a journeyman.

Teams are relying more on multiple goalies. Some of these teams are placing serious bets on cheap options getting them points. I’ll say it’s gonna bite them.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
There really wasn’t a better option out there, unless you wanted to gamble on someone like Alex Lyon or Laurant Brossoit.

Smash255

Oct 22, 2003
Farmingdale
none.com
I can’t do the mental gymnastics to justify this contract and Mayfield’s. Did it have to be Varlamov for 25 games a year?

A trade of Sorokin and you could solve every other problem with the Islanders roster.
Yes and then what is your option for goal? Not saying, I love the contract, but I was also expecting Sorokin to make closer to $9mil per. $11 million between the two of them in a rising cap I'm fine with, even if it has an extra year than it probably should have.

Reactions: MYIslanders

JPIsles18

Jul 12, 2022
Isles seem to do a great job evaluating goalies. If they believe in this tandem for the next 4 years, it's reasonable cap at 11 mil. The cost for elite goaltending is more than 11 mil usually. There is also usually a significant drop off between starter and backup leading to the starter being overplayed. I don't think it's a coincidence that the goalies that overperformed in the playoffs were lightly used during the season.

Also the human element can't be overlooked here. Varly and Sorokin are tight. If this helps keep Sorokin happy and dialed in, it's another bonus.

MYIslanders

Oct 4, 2014
Yes and then what is your option for goal? Not saying, I love the contract, but I was also expecting Sorokin to make closer to $9mil per. $11 million between the two of them in a rising cap I'm fine with, even if it has an extra year than it probably should have.
I agree! And truth be told, I fully expected Sorokin to walk when he had the chance. To have both wrapped up for 4 more years, with Sorokin for another 5 after that!…I don’t see why anyone could be upset.

Fantom

Jan 5, 2006
this is BAD deal.
the cap it is High and he is already 35 years old.
What happens if he retires does the cap hit go away or is it still there ?

crasherino

May 9, 2013
Its funny that when guys sign a deal like this, the commentary is "I've never seen a guy workout like Varly does. He honestly looks 27 or 28 - there are guys 10 years younger who can't work out like he does."

Have we ever heard that about Varly? Not saying he's a slouch or doesn't work hard, I've just never heard that angle about him. Lou feels comfortable giving a 35 yo goalie a 4 yr deal....needs reason to justify it.

OTOH, this deal is $750k - $1m too much. I'm not sure what we would have done with that to make a difference and as long as Varly stays healthy, he's probably going to be at least league average backup - probably better.

But still....these excessively long deals are getting old. More than anything, they take up roster spots where we can otherwise potentially improve. Having Clutter and Martin and Casey and Ross (and Palmieri and Lee.....) on these long deals make it exceedingly difficult to actually improve because our roster is stuffed with guys who are likely past their prime. I don't dislike any individually, but collectively I see.....meh.

The cap will go up in the next couple of years and Matty and Clutter will come off the books, but we still have a lot of money tied up for a loooong time. In '24-'25, we have 12 forwards (if you count Holstrom and Wahlstrom) and 6 Dmen under contract. Not much room to bring anyone else in....for this year or next.

Reactions: The Real JT and MJF

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Its funny that when guys sign a deal like this, the commentary is "I've never seen a guy workout like Varly does. He honestly looks 27 or 28 - there are guys 10 years younger who can't work out like he does."

Have we ever heard that about Varly? Not saying he's a slouch or doesn't work hard, I've just never heard that angle about him. Lou feels comfortable giving a 35 yo goalie a 4 yr deal....needs reason to justify it.

OTOH, this deal is $750k - $1m too much. I'm not sure what we would have done with that to make a difference and as long as Varly stays healthy, he's probably going to be at least league average backup - probably better.

But still....these excessively long deals are getting old. More than anything, they take up roster spots where we can otherwise potentially improve. Having Clutter and Martin and Casey and Ross (and Palmieri and Lee.....) on these long deals make it exceedingly difficult to actually improve because our roster is stuffed with guys who are likely past their prime. I don't dislike any individually, but collectively I see.....meh.

The cap will go up in the next couple of years and Matty and Clutter will come off the books, but we still have a lot of money tied up for a loooong time. In '24-'25, we have 12 forwards (if you count Holstrom and Wahlstrom) and 6 Dmen under contract. Not much room to bring anyone else in....for this year or next.
The response to the length from many around here is “these contracts will be easy to get rid of due to the low AAV near the end.”

Somebody has to want one of these guys, and nobody ever seems to. So beware.

denis5

Mar 13, 2007
The response to the length from many around here is “these contracts will be easy to get rid of due to the low AAV near the end.”

It's not going to matter. Cap is going up around $10M over the next two years, and then the CBA has to be renegotiated and odds are that the players association will hold out for a massive increase in the cap in return for their playing ball in keeping it essentially flat for 4 years. By the tail end of these deals, these contracts, save for Sorokin's, will very likely be a tiny part of the payroll that can be further reduced by burying them in the minors or buying them out.

Smash255

Oct 22, 2003
Farmingdale
none.com
It's not going to matter. Cap is going up around $10M over the next two years, and then the CBA has to be renegotiated and odds are that the players association will hold out for a massive increase in the cap in return for their playing ball in keeping it essentially flat for 4 years. By the tail end of these deals, these contracts, save for Sorokin's, will very likely be a tiny part of the payroll that can be further reduced by burying them in the minors or buying them out.

I don't see a major increase after the next CBA, the players did play ball because of how they got paid after COVID. With that said, I do see a $8-10 mil jump over the next two years and somewhere in the range of a few mil per year after that. By the last year of Varly's contract we are probably looking at a cap of around $95 mil, and as we get into the last few years of Engvall and Mayfield's contracts likely close to and then over $100 million. While I'm not thrilled with the term of any of those contracts , I don't think it is as bad as it looks at first glance considering where the cap will likely be towards the later end of these contracts. The caveat is of course that the cap goes up as expected.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
They’d better be sure the evolving local broadcast landscape with the failing RSNs doesn’t affect future cap increases. Which way will revenues be going in the short term?

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
It’s always too much … but when you are the Islanders, you gotta pay up.

The Real JT

No diving allowed
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut

At the end of their deals we’ll look to unload them for a late round pick then do nothing until we realize there’s no market for them.

Once that settles in we’ll send them elsewhere and attach a 2nd round pick to seal the deal. The departing player’s spot will probably be filled via trade for a costly vet with another of our 1st round picks attached.

That’s not said to be sarcastic. It’s the reality until Lou is out of the GM position.

Reactions: MJF

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
At the end of their deals we’ll look to unload them for a late round pick then do nothing until we realize there’s no market for them.

Once that settles in we’ll send them elsewhere and attach a 2nd round pick to seal the deal. The departing player’s spot will probably be filled via trade for a costly vet with another of our 1st round picks attached.

That’s not said to be sarcastic. It’s the reality until Lou is out of the GM position.
Agreed. It seems that Lamoriello still hasn't learned his lesson from trying to move Josh Bailey for the last 3 years.

As I said elsewhere, we've gone from offering contracts that are over-termed AND overpaid to contracts that are just over-termed.

Baby steps...

What team has better goaltending over all 82 games for $11M or less?

Lou has always been and always will be a build from the net out guy. I’m ok with this.
If we don't get Vezina-caliber goaltending from Sorokin again this year, then what?

I'd like to get better parts to surround our goalies with to take the pressure off them.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
Agreed. It seems that Lamoriello still hasn't learned his lesson from trying to move Josh Bailey for the last 3 years.

As I said elsewhere, we've gone from offering contracts that are over-termed AND overpaid to contracts that are just over-termed.

Baby steps...

If we don't get Vezina-caliber goaltending from Sorokin again this year, then what?

I'd like to get better parts to surround our goalies with to take the pressure off them.
You get a first round playoff loss. I mean, he was pretty average in that playoff series.

Reactions: JKP

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
If Sorokin has a pretty average regular season, we don’t make the playoffs.
Of course, and the Isles repeat the Barzal/Pulock contracts and are stuck until infinity and beyond.

Reactions: MJF

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Did I see somewhere that Korn is still with the Isles? Putting that here since I'd think he'd have had input on Varlamov in that case. Or did he move to NAS with Trotz?

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Did I see somewhere that Korn is still with the Isles? Putting that here since I'd think he'd have had input on Varlamov in that case. Or did he move to NAS with Trotz?

Still with the team and Lamoriello said he expects that to continue through the next season at least.

Reactions: doublechili

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Still listed in the website coaching directory.

Still with the team and Lamoriello said he expects that to continue through the next season at least.
Thanks. I would therefore assume Korn provided input to support the idea that Varlamov could plausibly be expected to play 30-ish games per year for the next 4 years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad