Newsday: Islanders prepare for fan-friendly final season on LI (Fisherman Jersey Discussion)

Surfrat

Feb 16, 2013
NJ
**** the Fisherman jersey. For all of you that were little kids when that jersey came out, you simply don't understand the shame and the horror of those jerseys replacing the classic uniform and logo.

The introduction of those jerseys ushered in the "laughing stock era" of this franchise that sadly has lasted almost 20 years. Now, just when the team has been sold and we finally have a respectable roster to root for, they have to trot these ****ing things back out? It's an absolute disgrace. :rant:

Ah yes good times. Who remembers the fisherman protest march which was covered by news12?

Axe Man

Sponsor
Jul 31, 2009
Nearby
**** the Fisherman jersey. For all of you that were little kids when that jersey came out, you simply don't understand the shame and the horror of those jerseys replacing the classic uniform and logo.

The introduction of those jerseys ushered in the "laughing stock era" of this franchise that sadly has lasted almost 20 years. Now, just when the team has been sold and we finally have a respectable roster to root for, they have to trot these ****ing things back out? It's an absolute disgrace. :rant:

I could not have said it better myself. Some people will never get it I guess.

IslesPanthers11

Mar 25, 2007
must be many young people on this board, because that fisherman jersey was one of the worst things that ever happened to the isles, they became the laughingstock of the nhl and the players themselves hated it too. There was absolutely zero reason to make us relive that nightmare from 20 years ago. absolute joke. This marketing genius knows nothing about the embarrassment this logo was. get lost with this absurd nightmare idea, aucion off the nice green ones, for the love of God have mercy on us who hated it so much. There was no reason to change our beloved Isles logo back then, and no reason to relive it now :shakehead

IslesPanthers11

Mar 25, 2007
If you weren't an adult when that garbage came out, then you have no idea what we went thru with that nightmare. It was like they came and took our team completely away from us from 93 to 95. Just GONE. From one extreme to another. Imagine this team of today being completely dismantled, then given a laughingstock logo, then the infamous "we want fish sticks" chant. Are you people kidding me. Shut the front door please

IslesPanthers11

Mar 25, 2007
There's a reason they went back to the original logo. Because we all went completely nuts to get it back, including Denis Potvin. How young you people on here must be.

startainfection*

There's a reason they went back to the original logo. Because we all went completely nuts to get it back, including Denis Potvin. How young you people on here must be.

And the alternate that had the regular crest instead of the fisherman was even worse, that should tell u all that u need to know about that jersey, it was the design of the jersey, not the logo that made it awful

TROLLCHUK

Jul 1, 2006
FN3mwMy.jpg

My original Fish Stick hat. The lighthouse logo was the way they should have gone.

TROLLCHUK

Jul 1, 2006
that logo is fine... I just dont like the teal color...Orange and Royal Blue is just so damn beautiful together.

I agree, but if you are going to go away from the classic, then go away from the classic.

For instance the Kings purple classics and black redesigns were pretty much apples and oranges.

Levi Walking Bear

Very Interesting
Oct 8, 2009
Anywhere
Speaking of goofy uniforms, most of you should remember the Los Angeles "Burger" Kings third jersey.
The king looked like some of Terry Gilliam's cartoons from Monty Python's Flying Circus.

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
This isn't a 3rd jersey, it's not one time jersey, it's the WARM UP jersey. It's nothing to freak out about...seriously it's a non-issue.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013

How old and closed minded you must be, complaining and moaning about a jersey that's going to be used in warm ups and auctioned off for charity.

Just so you know, design is cyclical, and these horrible colors and designs are popular again. You can see a lot of throwback hats and jersey's these days. Get over it.

Maybe the modernized version is this:
BrooklynIslanders.jpg

Poliz24

Jun 25, 2012
LI
My solution(s) for the 3rd jersey:

A: Take our current colors (No teal) and combine that with the fisherman jersey design with the regular Islander crest in the middle
B: Same as A, except of the original crest, put the lighthouse logo that was on the shoulders of the fisherman jersey and put that in the middle.
C: Stadium Series jerseys from last year. In 2015 add a brooklyn and queens on the Long Island logo. I think that jersey is really nice and should be featured more.

TROLLCHUK

Jul 1, 2006
How old and closed minded you must be, complaining and moaning about a jersey that's going to be used in warm ups and auctioned off for charity.

Just so you know, design is cyclical, and these horrible colors and designs are popular again. You can see a lot of throwback hats and jersey's these days. Get over it.

BrooklynIslanders.jpg

Amazing, that is 1000x better than the crap that was released back then.

IslandersFan17

Jun 8, 2011
Long Island

BrooklynIslanders.jpg

That's pretty cool actually

Katurian

Oct 20, 2011
Crown Heights
if anything I think a rousing cheer of 'we want fishsticks' would be awesome when they come out and warm up in them.

Take away what the enemy uses to hurt you and make it your own.

...then again, we may all be(edit) fish.

...Still approve.

Last edited by a moderator:

OpAck

Feb 19, 2004
Wilmington, NC
The worst were those fisherman Starter jerseys. The orange was never the right color, and sometimes you'd see one where the wave pattern didn't line up at the seam (under the arms). Yuck.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad