Islanders power play

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
Clearly you don't watch any hockey, or ever played at a competitive level. The drop pass in the NZ is a play that lots of teams use to kill the momentum of the defending team at the blue line to allow for an easy zone entry. Watch Detroit or Chicago. Chicago runs the same play and Patty Kane enters the zone at full speed while the defenders are stationary.

I don't watch the Isles enough to say anything about their personnel decisions, but it's people with clear lack of hockey knowledge that gripe about systems that they have no idea about that really bother me.

Sorry for the rant.

Thanks for verifying what I wrote above. I hate to say this because so few can accept it but the chemistry on the PP was better with A-Mac than Viz, mostly because A-Mac executed the drop pass so well and Viz is not even trying it. The PP unit is not gaining the zone very well and the lesser time in the offensive zone is leading to frustration. Until Viz has had enough practice time to incorporate the zone entry approach that was working well we really need to go back to A-Mac on the first unit.

simbo042

Apr 24, 2013
Newcastle, UK
1) forget about this umbrella nonsense. Get 2 guys up at the point. i don't care if the entire league does it. it isn't working for us & the puck is CONSTANTLY going out the side where no one is covering.
2) Put John Tavares on the right side & let him do what he does best
3) fix the lines. that means putting Nielsen on the 2nd unit. DeHaan on the 1st and it wouldn't even kill them if they put KO on the 2nd & Nelson on the 1st. Clutterbuck really shouldn't be getting PP time. Neither should Bailey, but at least his skill set is suited for it. when strome comes back i really wouldn't mind seeing something like

Vanek JT Nelson
deHaan Lubo

Strome Nielsen KO
Donnovan i guess MacDonald?

I like nearly all of these suggestions, especially putting JT closer to the net. But he isn't really a one-time shooter, is that Weight's thinking behind putting him higher up? Regardless I want him down low where he can cause havoc.

I loved JTs goal against Dallas where he skated it in from the gaol line beneath the defence as they all anticipated the pass. He made them look pretty stupid on that play and it would never happen from further out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad