Islanders power play

charlie1

It's all McDonald's
Dec 7, 2013
I haven't heard much talk about it but it seems like our power play is really under-performing.

Ranked 8th in 2011/2012, 11th in 2012/2013, but now down to 21st.

Seems like even without Moulson and Viz we should be doing better. Any thoughts?

sebsisles

Apr 25, 2013
Long Island
I haven't heard much talk about it but it seems like our power play is really under-performing.

Seems like even without Moulson and Viz we should be doing better. Any thoughts?

i think something can can really help would be to put dehann on our first unit with lubo

Vanek Tavares Okposo

Dehan Vis

second unit

Martin Nielsen Nelson

Donovan Amac

have martin parked infront of the net

Paulinho

No Man's Sky
Jun 8, 2003
Earth
Between Dead Weight's mongaloid ideas and stone hands MacDonald I am shocked it's not lower.

Isles Junkie

Jul 4, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
1) forget about this umbrella nonsense. Get 2 guys up at the point. i don't care if the entire league does it. it isn't working for us & the puck is CONSTANTLY going out the side where no one is covering.
2) Put John Tavares on the right side & let him do what he does best
3) fix the lines. that means putting Nielsen on the 2nd unit. DeHaan on the 1st and it wouldn't even kill them if they put KO on the 2nd & Nelson on the 1st. Clutterbuck really shouldn't be getting PP time. Neither should Bailey, but at least his skill set is suited for it. when strome comes back i really wouldn't mind seeing something like

Vanek JT Nelson
deHaan Lubo

Strome Nielsen KO
Donnovan i guess MacDonald?

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
To the op

Andrew macdonald= #1 reason for failing pp.
He was put in a position he had no chance of succeeding in. He was the quarterback.
Just does not have the skillset for it.

Kind of like Sanchez on the jets. Just not good.

Uh hmmm( throat clear). For all you teams out there looking for a top 4 d- man before the deadline, amac is a minute eater,shot blocker and quarterbacks the power play, and has zero cap hit, a first and he's yours.

islesfan186

YES! YES! YES!
Jul 5, 2012
Tennessee
Neutral zone drop pass...kills all speed going into the zone. Why the hell is this still going on?
Maybe it works well in practice against thompsons inept PK, but it doesn't work against the 29 other teams in the league

Strome18

Oct 23, 2010
Florida
To the op

He was put in a position he had no chance of succeeding in. He was the quarterback.

Kind of like Sanchez on the jets. Just not good.

Uh hmmm( throat clear). For all you teams out there looking for a top 4 d- man before the deadline, amac is a minute eater,shot blocker and quarterbacks the power play, and has zero cap hit, a first and he's yours.

Agree with the bold:laugh:;):D

charlie1

It's all McDonald's
Dec 7, 2013
Haven't had Lubo all year practically.

Fair enough, the Corsi For on the power play is trending up since Vis came back. Here is a plot (first red line is when he was injured, second is when he returned). Maybe I'll update the plot later in the season to see if it holds.

This gives me some hope for the PP in the immediate future.

v58pvq.jpg

(data from extraskater.com)

Last edited:

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
Fair enough, the Corsi For on the power play is trending up since Vis came back. Here is a plot (first red line is when he was injured, second is when he returned). Maybe I'll update the plot later in the season to see if it holds.

This gives me some hope for the PP in the immediate future.

v58pvq.jpg

(data from extraskater.com)

Don't do that again Charlie. I normally see spots , now it's like quadriple. :)

BillD

Feb 12, 2004
1) forget about this umbrella nonsense. Get 2 guys up at the point. i don't care if the entire league does it. it isn't working for us & the puck is CONSTANTLY going out the side where no one is covering.
3) fix the lines. that means putting Nielsen on the 2nd unit. DeHaan on the 1st and it wouldn't even kill them if they put KO on the 2nd & Nelson on the 1st. Clutterbuck really shouldn't be getting PP time. Neither should Bailey, but at least his skill set is suited for it. when strome comes back i really wouldn't mind seeing something like

Vanek JT Nelson
deHaan Lubo

Strome Nielsen KO
These are good points. How about winning the damn first face-off and controlling the puck? So sick of wasting the first 30 seconds of every power play having to go 200 feet to get the puck and bring it back up ice.
After that, JT runs the plays from the right side half wall. I do not want to ever see him skate it back to the blue line to open lanes, only to have no lane or take a pathetic slap shot which is his worst chance of scoring and usually leads to a goalie catch or miss of the net. More net front presence please, whacking at loose pucks at the goalies feet.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
Neutral zone drop pass...kills all speed going into the zone. Why the hell is this still going on?
Maybe it works well in practice against thompsons inept PK, but it doesn't work against the 29 other teams in the league

Ever since Lubo returned the drop pass approach was affected. When he was out they started that drop pass further behind and the receiver was going at top speed and it was very effective in gaining the zone. The chemistry of all five with McD (for all his other PP faults) was better at gaining the zone than with Lubo.

Since Lubo hasn't been able to practice so long he hasn't gotten comfortable with it yet. He tends to carry the puck further up the ice before making a decision than McD did, throwing off the timing of the drop pass. So the PP has been dumping and chasing the puck on the PP more and getting fewer possession time in the zone, and we've all seen the results lately.

As much as I know many of you are going to blanch at this I honestly think the best way to fix the PP in the short term is to go back to the old PP combos until Lubo has had more practice time at the drop pass with speed zone entry.

WangMustGo

Mar 31, 2008
Long Island
What the hell is Cluttercluck doing on the power play ?!

Agreed I don't understand it. Don't get me wrong Clutterbuck is a fine bottom 6 forward, but the guy has tunnel vision. He shoots every time he has the opportunity, in which most of the chances are very low percentage shots.

The absence of a ppqb has been a huge issue. While I didn't like Streit he was a much better option than MacDonald. The guy had a great shot which made the opponent respect that and spread the other teams pk out a bit more to respect the shot.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
Moulson and Streit.

End of story

To those looking for simple answers, a few sobering stats:

October: 25.6%, 2nd in league

November: 9.4%, 28th in league

December: 19.0%, 12th in league

January: 16.4%, 17th in league

This is not simply saying our PP sucks. There were wide ups and downs throughout the season so far. In December we played Vanek and MacDonald with perfectly acceptable results. In January we played both MacDonald and now Viz on the first team and Mac has the better results. Perception and reality are two very different things.

If we are 21st overall, it's because we are STILL statistically working off the terrible November performance, because we have shown improvement since then (with A-Mac and Vanek playing)

October was a statistical outlier as Pittsburgh leads the league at 24.7 for the season.

Other insights:

Home: 14th overall at 19.2% (includes the Yankee Stadium game as a home game)
Away: 29th overall at 14.4%

Another interesting special team stat:

Against the West, in 20 games played: 12 PPG for / 10 PPG against
Against the East, in 37 games played: 20 PPG for / 29 PPG against

So it looks like the issue for the PP is not WHO is on it, but the inability to convert on the road. And against the supposedly better Western Conference our special teams have performed admirably but against the East we have a real issue with the penalty kill.

BTrotts19

May 17, 2013
LI, NY
Watching the Isles PP and how opponents defend it, the things I notice are:

1. way too much passing around the perimeter;
2. the puck is at the point an inordinate amount of time as opposed to down by the goal line or in front of the net;
3. defenders are aggressive and constantly pressure our players as opposed to staying in the conventional box and
4.no fast wrist shots or one-timers to get pucks to the net. By the time AMac stops the puck, slowly winds up his slap shot, defenders have gotten into perfect shot blocking position.

All you have to do is look at teams with successful PP's and you see the differences. Weight needs to relieved of running our PP, never changes anything, does the same thing over and over..lunacy.

Hip Of Rick*

Snow Must Go!
Mar 17, 2007
Philadelphia
What the hell is Cluttercluck doing on the power play ?!

Clutterbuck should only see 4th line and PK time. He kills every line he is on with his ...
1. Skate fast towards the boards
2. Never think about passing
3. Give himself a horrible angle
4. Shoot 3 feet wide

Wash rinse repeat.

2.5 million for a 4th liner plus wasting a top 5 pick, well done Garth

The PP sucks because it is stagnant. No one moves and we have the silly 1 man high system with players not capable of playing that system

PoorFlory

Feb 2, 2014
Long Island
They need someone like Streit again. That guy was great on the PP. I know he wanted too much money but the Isles are really missing him.

BillD

Feb 12, 2004
They need someone like Streit again. That guy was great on the PP. I know he wanted too much money but the Isles are really missing him.
CDH will be > than Streit minus the shot. If he strengthen his shot he will be very effective.

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY

Vanek JT Nelson
deHaan Lubo

Strome Nielsen KO

This is it right here. You can close this thread now.

Want to get the PP back to where is used to be? A good start would be to throw out all the changes they made in the off season, because they obviously do not work. I said it after the first couple games that this was going to fail.... the PP was one of the only things they had right over the past few years, and they completely destroyed it like a bunch of imbeciles.

charlie1

It's all McDonald's
Dec 7, 2013
I don't know, I'm willing to give Lubo a chance to salvage things before we scrap the system we've been working with all year.

NEhockeycoach

Sep 9, 2012

Clearly you don't watch any hockey, or ever played at a competitive level. The drop pass in the NZ is a play that lots of teams use to kill the momentum of the defending team at the blue line to allow for an easy zone entry. Watch Detroit or Chicago. Chicago runs the same play and Patty Kane enters the zone at full speed while the defenders are stationary.

I don't watch the Isles enough to say anything about their personnel decisions, but it's people with clear lack of hockey knowledge that gripe about systems that they have no idea about that really bother me.

Sorry for the rant.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad