Proposal: Islanders-Oilers

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
Ho-Sang + Pulock + Chimera for RNH + Yamamoto + Benning

Why the Islanders do it:

They RNH who could shift around their top 6. He could take over 2C and shelter Barzal, or he could go back t0 3C and create mismatches. I think RNH could excel out east, and he would an ideal center for the islanders who could use the center depth to make a run. Also shows Tavares another reason to stay, that they are getting pieces for the present at the expense of younger players because they want to win in the next couple years.

The swap of Ho-Sang and Yamamoto is for a change. Ho-Sang seems to have fallen out of favor, but Yamamoto has looked good, but not exceptional, and will likely be sent down at 9 games. This move would be a swap of futures. But its a change of scenery for a young guy who has high potential similar to Ho-sang.

Chimera is there to balance salary, and if more salary relief is needed Hickey could be added to the trade. Benning is there to take Pulock's current spot on the bottom-pair. Benning is the same age as Pulock, and doesn't have the same offensive potential, but he can be a 2-way 2nd pair d in a year or two (he has had looks in the role, and succeeds for a short time but then gets in above his head).

(Note: I created a thread to gauge his value because I saw a fit and was wondering what would be a solid return- and I think a piece like Bear also a RHD who is best on PP could be added to the trade, but I couldn't find a way to work him in).

Why the Oilers do it:

McDavid gets his buddy Ho-Sang who has some speed and has a shot that would go well alongside McDavid at RW, when he is ready for the NHL. That remains to be seen but the change with Yamamoto seems like one that could be beneficial for both sides.

Pulock is the offensive RHD that the Oilers need. But offensive RHD are rare and expensive so they have to give up a proven 2C on the hope that one day Pulock could become a 2nd pairing RHD. But he could come in and immediately help their PP, even if he is only deployed in a bottom pairing role at the moment. His slap shot taking passes from McDavid and Draisaitl would be dangerous.

Chimera adds some speed to their bottom 6, helps sets off salary, and he comes off the books this offseason for McDavids extension to kick in. Even though the Benning-Chimera swap is uneven, I think it helps makes up for any value lost with the other moving pieces.

I think its an even trade that could help both teams short and long term.

Let me know what you think!

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
That's pretty gross for Edmonton TBH.

IMHO:

Yamamoto >= Ho-Sang
RNH > Pulock
Benning > Chimera

I think you think a lot more highly of Pulock and Chimera than I do, though. We have enough vets not pulling their weight, we don't need more.

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
That's pretty gross for Edmonton TBH.

IMHO:

Yamamoto >= Ho-Sang
RNH > Pulock
Benning > Chimera

I think you think a lot more highly of Pulock and Chimera than I do, though. We have enough vets not pulling their weight, we don't need more.

I don't think that much of Chimera. The way I see it

Benning>Chimera
RNH>=Pulock
Yamamoto=<Ho-Sang

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
rypHjCC.gif

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
Misplaced speculation on OP that Ho-Sang has fallen out of favor.

Isles don't need RNH, he's redundant now that we have Barzal.

Pulock is not available.

PLUS - Does Chia REALLY want to trade with Snow again?

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I don't think that much of Chimera. The way I see it

Benning>Chimera
RNH>=Pulock
Yamamoto=<Ho-Sang

Pulock is what one year younger than RNH, and he isn't even a full time NHLer yet. Oilers need a lot better than a fourth liner, a prospect, and a bottom pairing defenceman with potential to give up all that.

Compare D to D, is Pulock really any kind of an upgrade on Benning? I know Benning hasn't started spectacularly, but he was a revelation last season.

If Benning roughly = Pulock, why the heck are we dealing RNH and Yamamoto for Chimera and Ho-Sang?

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
This one's pretty fugly for the Oilers. They're trading Nugent-Hopkins for Pulock and Yamamoto for Ho-Sang?

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Have the 20/21 year old Oilers who still need development time in the AHL and get demoted "fallen out of favor in Edmonton "?

Isles telling the speedy and skilled JHS that he needs to work on parts of his game does not mean they have soured on him.It means he needs to learn the K.I.S.S. rule, that ugly goals count as much as highlight reel goals.

And no interest in RNH.Isles still gonna push hard to extend Tavares and have Barzal developing well on the 2nd line.Rather have Barzal on his ELC, then add RNH at $6m per.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
After the Reinhart and Eberle deals, the Isles and Oilers don't matchup at all as trade partners anymore. It's been rehashed to death.

Chimera makes some sense at least, it would be a full circle thing as an Edmonton native who started out his long career there. He's still pretty damn fast once he gets going, the Oilers are quite slow minus McDavid and he'd at least be an upgrade in the bottom-6 in that regard. He's a pending UFA and his $2.25M cap hit (whatever it prorates to) is doable. Other than that, I don't see any feasible deal to be made.

Chimera for a 3rd.

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
Weak Proposal with no pulse on the Islanders Organization whatsoever. . .

• Ho-Sang has not fallen out of favor, in any respect.
  • Barzal is a better value then RNH, no I did not say better player (yet) . . .
  • Pulock is the only PP QB that has gone pro within the Isles organization

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
After the Reinhart and Eberle deals, the Isles and Oilers don't matchup at all as trade partners anymore. It's been rehashed to death.

Chimera makes some sense at least, it would be a full circle thing as an Edmonton native who started out his long career there. He's still pretty damn fast once he gets going, the Oilers are quite slow minus McDavid and he'd at least be an upgrade in the bottom-6 in that regard. He's a pending UFA and his $2.25M cap hit (whatever it prorates to) is doable. Other than that, I don't see any feasible deal to be made.

Chimera for a 3rd.

If Chimera didn't hate the Oilers with a passion that would be a solid deal for both sides.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
Benning vs. Poluck is close, slight advantage to Benning.
Yamamoto vs. Ho Sang is close, slight advatage to Ho Sang.
So that leaves you with Chimera vs. RNH... Yeah, no...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad