Islanders Point Blank: Islanders Loan Kirill Kabanov to MODO

PROMputt

I promise to never forget.
Jan 4, 2008
Lawnguyland
At one point KK was projected first round pick that we got in the third.. exactly right, we were all crossing our fingers on him..

I always imagine the draft as a game of darts.. with the first over all pick, you stand 1 foot away.. then with EACH PICK, you step back one foot.. so the first 5 picks, you'll almost always hit the dart board and get an NHL player.. and even the next 5 picks, you're pretty much guaranteed but might flub up once in awhile..

As you get to the start of the second round you're 30 feet away from the dart board.. that's 10 yards away and getting further with each pick.. you can still hit the dart board and get NHL players, but it's certainly a lot harder than shooting from 15 feet away with the 15th pick...

In the third through sixth rounds, you're so far away from the dartboard that it's unlikely to hit the dart board.. at this point, you have to be good enough to have a CHANCE to hit it - but randomness also start playing an increasingly large roll..

Kabanov was drafted 65th over-all.. In my analogy, Snow missed the dart board from 65 feet away.. I'm not going to hold him accountable for that at all... all GMs miss far more often than they make it in the mid and late rounds..

Any fan who calls out one GM for not picking well in the mid and late rounds obviously isn't paying attention to the performance of all the OTHER GMs.

Good analogy. And to go further. Look at the third round(KK pick) and out from the 2010 draft and many of those players are not going to make it to the NHL. Though Gudas by TBL looks like a steal right after the KK pick!

IslandersFan17

Jun 8, 2011
Long Island
In no way will I ever complain about snow taking a gamble on KK. When you consider the kids skill had him ranked around the top of the draft! Character aside there were few that would deny that KK was one of the most gifted players in the class.

The kid fell and Snow thought he might have had a steal that late in the draft. Stinks it didn't work out but it was far from the worst case.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
There is no point to hold on to him. Let's move him maybe we can get a goalie prospect.

He has about as much value as Yuri Alexandrov did a few years ago when he was traded to us, from Boston, for future considerations.

scott99

May 13, 2005
In no way will I ever complain about snow taking a gamble on KK. When you consider the kids skill had him ranked around the top of the draft! Character aside there were few that would deny that KK was one of the most gifted players in the class.

The kid fell and Snow thought he might have had a steal that late in the draft. Stinks it didn't work out but it was far from the worst case.

One of the most ALLEGEDLY gifted. There was no proof of this alleged talent outside of a good U18 or U17 tournament. He certainly didn't showcase these alleged gifts in North America, EVER. He was incredibly average to below average to poor here in NA.

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
Kabby is doing fairly well so far. I don't think his skill was ever in question. People here seem to think that if you don't make the NHL, your skills must not be up to par. First, the kid needs ice-time and that injury last year screwed him up a bit. Second, I know it's early, but I think Kabby will do well in Modo. He only gets 12 min TOI and has 2 goals in 6 games. It's his discipline that he needs to work on. I feel I know his type. He's the guy that doesn't take things seriously and while he likes what he does, he is not serious....I mean...he's got an irresponsible nature...this is what he needs to correct.

Then again, maybe what I said doesn't mean much because most think we will never call Rakhshani back and he's a top 10 SEL scorer. I hope we give him another shot. A top 10 scorer is sure as hell better than the scrap that we keep trying to fill the void.

bigtim1988

YES! YES! YES! YES!
Jun 7, 2009
long island
One of the most ALLEGEDLY gifted. There was no proof of this alleged talent outside of a good U18 or U17 tournament. He certainly didn't showcase these alleged gifts in North America, EVER. He was incredibly average to below average to poor here in NA.

well stated. his numbers never impressed me, and while he may have the talent, its going to take a lot to get it all together to succeed at the pro level. either the kid wakes up, and realizes hes going to need a good work ethic, or he doesn't and ends up falling into obscurity.

Kabby is doing fairly well so far. I don't think his skill was ever in question. People here seem to think that if you don't make the NHL, your skills must not be up to par. First, the kid needs ice-time and that injury last year screwed him up a bit. Second, I know it's early, but I think Kabby will do well in Modo. He only gets 12 min TOI and has 2 goals in 6 games. It's his discipline that he needs to work on. I feel I know his type. He's the guy that doesn't take things seriously and while he likes what he does, he is not serious....I mean...he's got an irresponsible nature...this is what he needs to correct.

Then again, maybe what I said doesn't mean much because most think we will never call Rakhshani back and he's a top 10 SEL scorer. I hope we give him another shot. A top 10 scorer is sure as hell better than the scrap that we keep trying to fill the void.

id like for them to get Rakhshani back, i always felt he had a decent upside. hes obviously not going to be an offensive dynamo, but still a versatile player nonetheless.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad