Islanders Point Blank: Islanders Loan Kirill Kabanov to MODO

Bunk Moreland

Mar 16, 2010
Long Island
From Point Blank:

The Islanders have agreed to loan prospect Kirill Kabanov to MODO of the Swedish Elite League for the remainder of the 2013-14 season, according to MODO’s website. Kabanov had been playing for the Islanders in the AHL for the Bridgeport Sound Tigers, where he has three goals and no assists in 16 games.

It’s been a rocky season for Kabanov, who earlier in the year was demoted by the team to Stockton of the ECHL for about a month. That was, possibly, for disciplinary reasons although the reports at the time varied. He was recalled from Stockon in mid-November and has been in and out of the Sound Tigers lineup as a healthy scratch since then. Kabanov has played in only three of the team’s last nine games.

http://islanderspointblank.com/prospects/islanders-loan-kirill-kabanov-to-modo-sweden/

Still worth the chance on a later round pick but it's not looking good for this kid at all.

mitchy22

Aug 19, 2002
Visit site
Change of scenery might help the kid out. It's not like he's going to a league where he'll be allowed to **** around. He'll still be playing with men, except there will be less pressure, and he'll be a lot closer to home.

:),
Mitch

scott99

May 13, 2005
Such a shame, I had high hopes for him, even with all the controversy.

Me too. I was so happy draft day 2010, first Niederreiter, then Nelson and then Kabanov. Now only Nelson looks like a good pick. And of course, the rest of the picks in 2010 were laughable. KK just NEVER showed any talent or production to warrant the incredible hype surrounding him. Good hands with the puck, but couldn't translate that into offense. First Nikita Filatov in 2008 and now Kirill Kabanov in 2010. Seems the only Russians worth picking are the ones trained in countries other than Russia (Galchenyuk and Barkov). Though Nicushkin looks good in Dallas.

Macch

Mar 22, 2010
Never draft another Kirill ever again!!!!

I kid!! But seriously dont!

SLAPSHOT723

QU! Bobcats!
Jan 14, 2008
Long Island/NYC
www.nhl.com
Me too. I was so happy draft day 2010, first Niederreiter, then Nelson and then Kabanov. Now only Nelson looks like a good pick. And of course, the rest of the picks in 2010 were laughable. KK just NEVER showed any talent or production to warrant the incredible hype surrounding him. Good hands with the puck, but couldn't translate that into offense. First Nikita Filatov in 2008 and now Kirill Kabanov in 2010. Seems the only Russians worth picking are the ones trained in countries other than Russia (Galchenyuk and Barkov). Though Nicushkin looks good in Dallas.

Yeah, the more years go by the more it's becoming a risk to draft Russians. Of course, like you said, with the exception of Nichushkin. Guy's looking like a killer in Dallas.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Wish him the best. Too bad he couldn't put it together over here. I remember just a few short years ago he was being compared to Kovy lol. That would have been nice.

scott99

May 13, 2005
Yeah, the more years go by the more it's becoming a risk to draft Russians. Of course, like you said, with the exception of Nichushkin. Guy's looking like a killer in Dallas.

Nichushkin almost was an Islander, dropped far in the draft. Too talented to scare teams away though.

Beastrt

Jun 14, 2011
What bothers me is he never got a chance in the top 6. Maybe he didnt deserve it because of his attitude but, some of the guys that were playing ahead of him it was a bit ridiculous. How do you expect a guy to put up points playing on the 4th line. If you are playing him at all souldn't you put him in an opportunity to succeed. Thats like bringing up strome and not putting him in the top 6 and expect him to put up points.

Dutch Frost

Battle Level
Mar 12, 2010
Queens, NY
What bothers me is he never got a chance in the top 6. Maybe he didnt deserve it because of his attitude but, some of the guys that were playing ahead of him it was a bit ridiculous. How do you expect a guy to put up points playing on the 4th line. If you are playing him at all souldn't you put him in an opportunity to succeed. Thats like bringing up strome and not putting him in the top 6 and expect him to put up points.

Kinda like what they did to nino?? :D

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
I distinctly remember writing off DeHaan as a "bust", an injury-prone kid we drafted too high who wasn't making any sort of impact at the AHL level. I know I wasn't alone in that mindset, and would offer him as a Raphael Diaz-like sweetener ("he could use a change of scenery guys!") in the trade proposal forum. Now, CDH is looking like a top-2 defenseman and I couldn't be happier that I was wrong.

Kabby will get playing time in Modo (with Jeff Tambellini!), his ELC still has another year, and whatever "attitude" problems he's had at Bridgeport haven't really been broadcast to the media. Don't be shocked if Kabanov is still hiding behind the curtain, so to speak, ready to unleash his full potential.

gyi0060890044.0_standard_709.0.jpg

frankieboy

Mar 10, 2010
I read (or heard...can't remember) that there is an incredibly low number of Russian players currently playing in the NHL. I believe the quote I heard mentioned was that we are now down to the levels last seen before Russians regularly came over to the NHL. I don't recall the exact figure, but I believe it was in the 20 range. I have been in the group who would have drafted Russians previously...but my feelings are slowly changing. I would definitely have grabbed Nichushkin...I would have even traded up...but it would be tough to part with a top 8 or so pick for a Russian player these days. They are just too likely to bolt for the KHL. I recognize this has little to do with Kabanov, who has not looked like a flight risk and would really not be much of a disappoint if he did.

frankieboy

Mar 10, 2010
I distinctly remember writing off DeHaan as a "bust", an injury-prone kid we drafted too high who wasn't making any sort of impact at the AHL level. I know I wasn't alone in that mindset, and would offer him as a Raphael Diaz-like sweetener ("he could use a change of scenery guys!") in the trade proposal forum. Now, CDH is looking like a top-2 defenseman and I couldn't be happier that I was wrong.

Kabby will get playing time in Modo (with Jeff Tambellini!), his ELC still has another year, and whatever "attitude" problems he's had at Bridgeport haven't really been broadcast to the media. Don't be shocked if Kabanov is still hiding behind the curtain, so to speak, ready to unleash his full potential.

gyi0060890044.0_standard_709.0.jpg

I hope you are right. I have been pulling for him.

scott99

May 13, 2005

He really did nothing that he should have been rewarded top 6 minutes. He NEVER produced in the AHL, and was just average at best in the Q. One of the biggest busts/hypes ever.

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
Damn, remember the day we drafted this kid and never thought the problem would be skill.... Just goes to show how much of a crapshoot the draft is.

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
I read (or heard...can't remember) that there is an incredibly low number of Russian players currently playing in the NHL. I believe the quote I heard mentioned was that we are now down to the levels last seen before Russians regularly came over to the NHL. I don't recall the exact figure, but I believe it was in the 20 range. I have been in the group who would have drafted Russians previously...but my feelings are slowly changing. I would definitely have grabbed Nichushkin...I would have even traded up...but it would be tough to part with a top 8 or so pick for a Russian player these days. They are just too likely to bolt for the KHL. I recognize this has little to do with Kabanov, who has not looked like a flight risk and would really not be much of a disappoint if he did.

Twenty nine, but Russia is definitely a lot lower than many people would believe. If you're not a superstar like Ovechkin or Malkin, it's simply a better financial option to play int he KHL instead of making bottom-6 NHL money.

Here's the full chart for reference:

aZvyWV0.png

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland

I was in complete shock when I was checking point totals by country because if the Okposo team USA snub and I saw that there is less than 30 Russians in the NHL

fnfelon

Oct 12, 2013
Long Island
Another Euro prospect mishandled. Let's see Nino, Ullstrom, and now Kabanov. Is Pedan next? I hate this management, they are so incompetent, look at the way Capuano treated Ulstrom last year; up, down, sit, up, down, sit. If they can't develop a prospect from Europe or Russia then don't draft any. We have Sundstrom, Pedan, and Peerson down at the bridge; let's see if any make it. The only kid from Europe we developed was Neilson, and he was here before this group of idiots took over.

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
Another Euro prospect mishandled. Let's see Nino, Ullstrom, and now Kabanov. Is Pedan next? I hate this management, they are so incompetent, look at the way Capuano treated Ulstrom last year; up, down, sit, up, down, sit. If they can't develop a prospect from Europe or Russia then don't draft any. We have Sundstrom, Pedan, and Peerson down at the bridge; let's see if any make it. The only kid from Europe we developed was Neilson, and he was here before this group of idiots took over.

Niño: Management but Strome got sent down and he didn't request a trade.

Ullstrom: he would've been in and out of the lineup. I can see him in a jersey again

Kabanov: He was an overhyped Russian product. Isles didn't do anything wrong.

N Ireland Nets Fan

May 13, 2013
Rochester, New York

Ullstrom: he would've been in and out of the lineup. I can see him in a jersey again

Kabanov: He was an overhyped Russian product. Isles didn't do anything wrong.

Just because Strome hasn't requested a trade doesn't mean he hasn't been mismanaged.

I actually thought Kabanov looked like a nice prospect in any of the pre season games he was involved with this year. He looked like he had bags of skill but would rather pass than shoot.

I'm disappointed how far he has fallen off the radar. Here's hoping he returns to North America a new man.

fnfelon

Oct 12, 2013
Long Island

They did same crap with Nelson this year, they have no clue what they're doing. I strongly disagree. No prospects from Europe have made it, and that for me is a big issue since the only way we are rebuilding is through the draft. A 1st for Nino, a 3rd for Kabanov, a 3rd for Petrov. Off hand I don't remember what round Ullstrom was drafted in but as of now all these picks were wasted. Capuano has no clue WTF he's doing. And neither does Snow.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad