Speculation: Islanders have met asking price of Duchene

Status
Not open for further replies.

isles31

Poster Excellont
Feb 19, 2007
LI
If the main defensive piece is Pulock (assuming Hamonic is off the table), the other pieces would have to be strong, likely including Barzal.

Trading barzal for Duchene is a straight panic/save my job move by snow. Barzal is 7 years younger, under team control longer and could hopefully produce at or above Duchene's level. If that's the asking price, I really hope it doesn't happen.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
our fans might actually burn down barclays center if we don't acquire him. isles twitter actually found and tracked the team plane to dallas because they said there might be a trade when they land. snow knows he needs to make a move, so I doubt hamonic is completely off the table.

Well they kicked you out so this would sort of be a win-win scenario in that case, right ? :sarcasm:

Really hope and honestly right now don't believe that Duchene will be traded today. Especially not to the Islanders.

Think MTL has a better chance if Bergevin cracks on including Sergachev (unlikely).

In the end Islanders and Avs are terrible trading partners. Sakic would be a damn fool to force a deal under those circumstances right now when there really is no pressure on him to do anything (aside from selling our damn rentals...).

So Isles would have to drastically overpay (unless GM Sakic is a complete moron which I would not rule out at this point) anyways and I doubt that Isles fans would be happy about that either...

@isles31:

I would be shocked if Barzal becomes close to as good as Duchene. Duchene is basically his ceiling. I mean atleast for Avs fans there was a somewhat reasonable (obviously wrong but somewhat defensible) argument of favorably comparing Duchene with Tavares for the first few years of their respective careers.
Things have gone south since then but that is mainly an Avs problem not only a Duchene problem...

IslandersFan17

Jun 8, 2011
Long Island
Trading barzal for Duchene is a straight panic/save my job move by snow. Barzal is 7 years younger, under team control longer and could hopefully produce at or above Duchene's level. If that's the asking price, I really hope it doesn't happen.

I love Barzal as much as the next fan. But you are going off of a projection. Not a real nhl production based argument.

Barzal could turn around and be Ryan Strome 2.0 just as much as he could be Duchene lite.

Whileee

May 29, 2010

Isles need talent to win during Tavares' window. It would be foolish to just wait for a new wave of prospects. It will be some time before Barzal comes close to Duchene's production and effectiveness.

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
Means to me snow will try and go for a lesser forward.

Means to me all this islanders met the price is absolute BS.

Once again, the way we missed on Hall we are doing all over again
Its trade deadline day. Something weird will happen that we'll all say "didn't see that coming" :laugh: then criticize the hell of it for the rest of the day.

Pure Slaughter Value

Jun 6, 2002
New York
Visit site
If the main defensive piece is Pulock (assuming Hamonic is off the table), the other pieces would have to be strong, likely including Barzal.

I would hate this deal so much. As much as I'd love to have Duchene on the Isles, we're lacking offensive creativity and someone with a shot that forces rebounds both at 5 on 5 and (especially) the pp.

That's Barzal and Pulock in a nutshell. Add the first to it and it's disastrous.

I'd rather go offer an RFA an offer sheet and give up 3 future 1st rounders then give up Barzal, Pulock and this years 1st.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
IMO

I do think the Isles did meet the requirements for a trade, BUT the pieces are wrong

I do not know for sure but My guess is that Hamonic, Barzal, and Sorokin are not part of any of the two proposals

I think the Isles are most likely offering a combination of
Pulock Nelson Dal Colle and #1 for 2017

I see Sakic stalling to see if Barzal would be added.

I know AVs need D, but adding Barzal with his potential and years of control would be too much for me to pass.

Also at the draft those #1 draft picks become clearer and more defined

isles31

Poster Excellont
Feb 19, 2007
LI
Isles need talent to win during Tavares' window. It would be foolish to just wait for a new wave of prospects. It will be some time before Barzal comes close to Duchene's production and effectiveness.

I get that, but if we are giving up a nearly ppg AHL 22 yr old dman, one of the best forward prospects in hockey, and a 1st...I want more than matt Duchene. Sorry, he's good but he's not 3 1st round picks good. He's hit 70 points once, 3 years ago and 67 another time, 7 years ago as a rookie...he's about a 60pt player on average. I trade any other prospect, but isles were gifted Barzal when he fell to them. Duchene is a UFA in 2 years.

Dipietro39

Jul 15, 2005
I get that, but if we are giving up a nearly ppg AHL 22 yr old dman, one of the best forward prospects in hockey, and a 1st...I want more than matt Duchene. Sorry, he's good but he's not 3 1st round picks good. He's hit 70 points once, 3 years ago and 67 another time, 7 years ago as a rookie...he's about a 60pt player on average. I trade any other prospect, but isles were gifted Barzal when he fell to them. Duchene is a UFA in 2 years.

Agree. Pulock + Barzal + 1st is what it would take. I hope Snow isn't that stupid to offer that.

Likely, Isles are offering two packages:

(1) Hamonic + MDC/Nelson/Strome/Boullivier + 1st
(2) Pulock + MDC/Nelson/Strome/Boullivier + 1st

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011

That is okay but don't expect to land a player like Duchene for anything less.

Especially given that your proposals don't really match the Avs biggest needs...

I mean I would not do that deal if I had any say with the Avs. And it wouldn't be a hard decision to decline it at all...

I think at this point everyone should be happy with Duchene not getting traded to the Islanders...

tony d

New poll series coming from me in June
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Interesting, got to think if they do get Duchene it may cause Tavares to sign there long term. Barzal, Pulock and a 2017 1st enough to get it done though I wonder?

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
I'm glad if we don't overpay for Duchene. Some Islander fans seem desperate to give up anything as if Duchene is the one missing piece that will catapult us from playoff tweeners into serious contenders. But the Metro is stacked, and this team doesn't get past Washington or Pittsburgh with or without Duchene.

Make smart trades, be stingy, and never be the desperate one who badly wants the deal to go through. Seemed like any Duchene trade would have the Islanders doing the opposite in all three instances. More top-line forwards will eventually hit the trade block, and the "trade Barzal he may be a total bust" crowd needs IMO half a year of patience before this kid becomes supremely untouchable from an Isles vantage point.

Fans were clamoring for Snow to make a splash in the offseason, we ended up with 7 years of Andrew Ladd. Now fans are clamoring for Snow to make a splash at the deadline, with everyone and anyone up for sale. Minnesota thinks they're close to a Cup, they got Hanzal. Washington thinks they're close to a Cup, they got Shatty. Islanders are nowhere close to pushing our chips all-in.

Clutcherbuck

Feb 28, 2007
Albany, NY
I will be very disappointed if Barzal is involved in getting Duchene. Other names being tossed around, like Pulock or Hamonic, it'd be sad to see them go, but you have to give to get.

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009
All Duchene discussion should go in the Duchene thread. Since this has already been discussed in there I'm not going to merge this thread with that thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad