Newsday: Islanders' Hamonic wants to take on best

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
http://mobile.newsday.com/inf/infom...a=newsday_5min&feed:c=sports&feed:i=1.4499391
TORONTO -- The Islanders have lacked a true shutdown defense pairing for a few years now -- as long as it's been since the last lockout, at the least. Travis Hamonic and Andrew MacDonald formed a solid tandem last season, but this year they are both determined to be the 25-27 minute per night pair that takes on opposing top lines and provides a punch on offense.

It's a lot to ask, but the 22-year-old Hamonic and the 26-year-old MacDonald know what being a true top pair could do for an Islanders defense that's thin at best and described with derogatory language by commentators.

"I feel like it's time," Hamonic said. "If it was up to me, I'd play 60 minutes a night. But you want that responsibility, to be the guys that go out there and face the other team's best every night. I want to be that guy."

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
http://mobile.newsday.com/inf/infom...a=newsday_5min&feed:c=sports&feed:i=1.4499391
TORONTO -- The Islanders have lacked a true shutdown defense pairing for a few years now -- as long as it's been since the last lockout, at the least. Travis Hamonic and Andrew MacDonald formed a solid tandem last season, but this year they are both determined to be the 25-27 minute per night pair that takes on opposing top lines and provides a punch on offense.

It's a lot to ask, but the 22-year-old Hamonic and the 26-year-old MacDonald know what being a true top pair could do for an Islanders defense that's thin at best and described with derogatory language by commentators.

"I feel like it's time," Hamonic said. "If it was up to me, I'd play 60 minutes a night. But you want that responsibility, to be the guys that go out there and face the other team's best every night. I want to be that guy."

It's nice to read something like this coming from one of the younger players on this squad after the Nino fiasco. Thanks for caring Travis!

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
I love this kid. I'm waiting for our move to Brooklyn to buy an authentic jersey ( I want the assumed shoulder patch) and IDK if I should get JT or Hammer. If he can become a legit #1....

Fantom

Jan 5, 2006
Yes.

And for the record, the article states that it's been a long time since the Islanders have had a shutdown pair. Don't forget that Witt-Martinek not that long ago was actually a pretty solid pairing. At times they were the top pairing too.

Witt and marty were ok. I would not call them a True top line though.
A nice solid second paring but a poor mans first pair

Fantom

Jan 5, 2006
Does anyone think Streit will be resigned?

I would have no problem With him being signed again. Money would be my only Concern. I dont think he warrants the same 4.1M Cap hit.
Not that his play has gone down but with the new lower cap All numbers i assume would drop a bit.
Maybe something along the lines of 3M or something. I think for what he brings 4.1 is a stretch in this new CBA

SLAPSHOT723

QU! Bobcats!
Jan 14, 2008
Long Island/NYC
www.nhl.com
Witt and marty were ok. I would not call them a True top line though.
A nice solid second paring but a poor mans first pair

I wouldn't call them the best shutdown pair in the league, not even close. But they were good and did there job.

MacDonald-Hamonic has been up there with the best since the 04-05 lockout, if not the best on the Islanders.

StumpNYI

Sep 10, 2010
I really hope Macdonald gets a nice fat contract at the end of his current one. The guy deserves it especially playing top pairing minutes at 550K. AMAC is so underrated because he is so quietly efficient and consistent for 25 minutes a game.

Isles Junkie

Jul 4, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
Hamonic has quickly become my favorite non marginally talented Islander. I'd love to see him get back to hitting the net with his shot more often. When he was a rookie he always hit the net with his hard shot, I don't know what happened last year.

13th Floor

Oct 10, 2008
Hamonic has quickly become my favorite non marginally talented Islander. I'd love to see him get back to hitting the net with his shot more often. When he was a rookie he always hit the net with his hard shot, I don't know what happened last year.

I feel like Hamonic is just getting back since being smashed in the face with that puck. I thought the concussion this year was a bit devastating and was hoping it would be a speedy recovery. So far, he has been solid this year.

I also think that it is natural for the defensive skills to lag behind offensive skills as a player moves up a level. Once he got confident in his defensive abilities at the lower level, the offensive abilities started to come through a bit. I think we are about a year or two away from seeing that at the NHL level.

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009

He hit the net a lot his rookie year because he gripped and ripped. No thinking involved. Get the puck and put it on net.

Last season he hesitated too long, often double clutching which let defenders get in the shooting lane. He has A LOT of his shots blocked that way. He's also learning a new skill called a 'Wrist Shot' which should help get the puck off the blade quicker.

In the NHL its all about quick decisions and it's sometimes easy as a rookie because you're rushing a lot in order to not make a mistake with the puck - that just happened to work well with today's NHL. Sophomore season he started using his head a little more, but unfortunately a little too much. Grip and Rip.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad