Speculation: Islanders General Rumour, Trade, Free Agent and Waiver Speculation...

Status
Not open for further replies.

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
Makes me more optimistic that if we wanted to trade Nelson for D, we could get someone pretty good. Henrique is apparently streaky as well, overall numbers are similar. Remember: 20 goal forwards still have value!

BillD

Feb 12, 2004
Provided the Islanders can sign Tavares if Belmont looks like it's happening:

-Bailey stays for around $5 million a year. Finishes his career with the Islanders and JT.
-de Haan goes in favor of Mayfield who would be a cheap sign. Toews/Aho round out the defense on entry levels with the hope one of them can replicate CdH's success.
-Nelson is obviously not going to be qualified
-Halak, no chance
-Quine/Prince, see ya
-Chimera, Seidenberg, and Kulemin are done
-Hickey would be an easy resign in a 6/7 slot -- getting a seat upstairs on a winning team isn't good for contract negotiations, although I do love myself some Thomas Hickey.

This all said if the Islanders make a major impact in the Eastern Conference playoffs, which I think the could, all this can change.
If Bailey can finish with 65+ points he is getting much more than $5MM from someone.
Forget about the Bailey we knew from 2008-2015, he will get paid for last year and the potential 65+ point year 2017 comparable to others who are in that category. His agent will do the leg work and inform him of his market value. It will be more than $5MM. Barzal doesn't become a cap issue for 2 more years, but he is on pace for a very big RFA deal. On top of Tavares $12MM, Bailey may not be affordable.

Le Grec

Jun 28, 2011
Makes me more optimistic that if we wanted to trade Nelson for D, we could get someone pretty good. Henrique is apparently streaky as well, overall numbers are similar. Remember: 20 goal forwards still have value!

Was thinking the same thing...

On another note, I know we are ok at LW, but apparently Simmonds is available...

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
I think so. He's been stuck on a god awful team for years now, yet has consistently produced outstanding advanced and standard stats. Last year he wasn't as good, but he's bounced back. I'd imagine that he'd be even more productive on a team where there's forwards that can actually score. He can fill the net like very few from the blueline. He's unquestionably, in my mind, a top 20 defenseman in the game. Someone said he'd be the #3 on this team? That's crazy to me.

I didn't know you were referring to OEL. Thought you were talking about Adam Larsson

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
I think so. He's been stuck on a god awful team for years now, yet has consistently produced outstanding advanced and standard stats. Last year he wasn't as good, but he's bounced back. I'd imagine that he'd be even more productive on a team where there's forwards that can actually score. He can fill the net like very few from the blueline. He's unquestionably, in my mind, a top 20 defenseman in the game. Someone said he'd be the #3 on this team? That's crazy to me.

I think you misread what I said that he should be on a pairing behind Leddy-Boychuk (or ahead doesnt really matter IMO), just that I think if you acquire someone like OEL, you keep Leddy-Boychuk together and have two super strong pairings.

Reactions: IODCPiper

Hunn

Feb 23, 2017
I'm scared by New Jersey moves. Hall, Johansson, Butcher, now Vatanen. Plus 1st overall. They are getting better and better and quite fast.

SLAPSHOT723

QU! Bobcats!
Jan 14, 2008
Long Island/NYC
www.nhl.com
I'm scared by New Jersey moves. Hall, Johansson, Butcher, now Vatanen. Plus 1st overall. They are getting better and better and quite fast.

Meh, I think Henrique is a more valuable player than Vatanen. He's a limited player.

But yes, as someone said, this makes me optimistic that Brock has value and we maybe can get a top-4 defenseman out of him.

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
If Bailey can finish with 65+ points he is getting much more than $5MM from someone.
Forget about the Bailey we knew from 2008-2015, he will get paid for last year and the potential 65+ point year 2017 comparable to others who are in that category. His agent will do the leg work and inform him of his market value. It will be more than $5MM. Barzal doesn't become a cap issue for 2 more years, but he is on pace for a very big RFA deal. On top of Tavares $12MM, Bailey may not be affordable.

I'm not sure. You have to keep in mind that he's getting these numbers because he's playing with JT. We saw the same thing with Moulson and the Sabres screwed that one up. Saw it with Parenteau, Colorado screwed that one up. Is a stupid team going to offer Bailey 6 mil to play with a center who might not be nearly as good as JT? Bailey with JT is a situation that works for everyone involved and you'd hope Bailey knows that he has a good thing going and maybe it's not worth getting paid more for a crappier situation.

Reactions: dood

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
I'm not sure. You have to keep in mind that he's getting these numbers because he's playing with JT. We saw the same thing with Moulson and the Sabres screwed that one up. Saw it with Parenteau, Colorado screwed that one up. Is a stupid team going to offer Bailey 6 mil to play with a center who might not be nearly as good as JT? Bailey with JT is a situation that works for everyone involved and you'd hope Bailey knows that he has a good thing going and maybe it's not worth getting paid more for a crappier situation.

He was also putting up great numbers playing with Barzal to start the season, so it's not just playing with JT. Certainly doesn't hurt though.

Le Grec

Jun 28, 2011
IF JT doesn't re-sign, I wouldn't give Bailey more than 5mil, if JT signs, 5.5mil for 8yrs...

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017

Josh Bailey's production has increased since he's become a top-6 RW. There are exactly 2 top-6 RW's on the market who aren't really old: Josh Bailey and Patrick Hornqvist. Bailey is a better overall player. I think he'll make 5.5M+.

Really odd for any player to excel on the off wing after moving there at 24-25 years old.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
On another note, I know we are ok at LW, but apparently Simmonds is available...

That would be very interesting. He'd have to replace Nelson or Ladd, we're pretty filled on the wings so I can't see the Isles going for him.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
The player I'd like now is Plekanec. The question is how much he'd cost if MTL retains 33% of his salary or takes Chimera or Hickey back.

Plekanec fits - he wins draws, PK's, contributes offensively on the 3rd line, is injury insurance at C.

Bottom 6:
Nelson/Tito/Prince-Plekanec-Ho-Sang
Prince/Tito-Cizikas-Clutterbuck

gadiamon72

Jun 13, 2013
I think moving Cizikas up to that third line would solve a lot of problems, granted they trade for a solid defensive minded 4th line C that can take faceoffs and PK (Brad Richardson). JHS needs a shooter to pass to that will go into the dirty areas, he also needs someone with defensive responsibility that can dig in the corners.

Any reason they can't bring up Steve Bernier and give him a shot before trading assets away? He is a hard worker with NHL experience. Was a decent bottom 6 forward for the Devs. for a few years.

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
Makes me wonder if Nelson + 2nd would have gotten it done.

Vatanen is the exact type of move I want Snow to make; and is a realistic target.

For all we know Snow isn’t shopping for a D man; too distracted by his next buffet target.

Le Grec

Jun 28, 2011
Looking at the Wild's lineup, they are tight on the cap and need to re-sign Dumba this summer, i wouldn't mind Snow taking a stab at him...

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Someone should start a trade proposal thread here where you are not allowed to include Brock Nelson in any deals. I'll bet it would never get to page 2.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
Someone should start a trade proposal thread here where you are not allowed to include Brock Nelson in any deals. I'll bet it would never get to page 2.

Okay, trade Brock Clutterbuck for a Top 4 defender . . . does that work?

Le Grec

Jun 28, 2011
"Pierre McGuire would be shocked if Erik Karlsson, Drew Doughty and Oliver Ekman-Larsson go to the open market.
Speaking with TSN 1200 Ottawa, McGuire says even if Ekman-Larsson gets traded, he's not going to a team as a rental and would sign a big deal."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad