Friedman: "Islanders and Rangers could be offersheet teams"

Julien LG

Dec 16, 2018
Yeah, because that is exactly how things work in the NHL.

Some of you have been watching too much Game of Thrones. GMs don't pull this kind of crap to "screw" over other GMs. Seriously, when does this ever happen? In most cases, when another team is about to offer sheet a player, which is almost never, they actually call the GM ahead of time and give them a chance to work out a trade or at the very least a heads up. All these vindictive scenarios that some of you are hoping play out are straight up fantasy land. Go back to NHL19 or EHM.
Of course, its not how they think.
But a team with cap space would be very happy to land Point for 2 1st and spare picks. The nhl19 scenario is the alternative for TB of such an offer that i would like as a fan. But its crap thanks for the inside.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I wasn't trying to compare JT to Marner or Point. Stamkos would be the JT equivalent and he took less than he could have gotten. That COULD set and internal culture of taking a bit less.

Tampa and Toronto are not great comparables despite everyone's best attempts.
The difference is Stamkos was in a better situation than Tavares when he almost became a UFA. If you forget the no state tax for a moment let's remember it was reported that Toronto offered Stamkos an AAV of at least $10 million or more over 7 years and he would make even more in future endorsements had he signed in Toronto. So for whatever reason he re-signed in Tampa for less AAV at $8.5 million.

I also think that because of his history when he was a player that it was easier for Steve Yzerman to talk Stamkos and Kucherov for accepting less AAV than what they are worth had they become UFA's. What do you think Kucherov would get on the open market after scoring 128 points?

So with Yzerman now in Detroit no one can say that Julien BriseBois will have the same luck in contract talks with Brayden Point and it's wrong to assume he will take a team discount like his teammates did.

4chandler

Apr 11, 2019
If the Rangers offer sheet way Rantanen and give him 95% of the contract as the signing bonus do the Avs have to match? Could a team like the Avs or say the Jets with Laine be targeted by a team with deep pockets?

Would this make the most sense to go after an Aho and give him all the money up front? If you really want to get the talent.

How many teams in the league can pay 80 million+ up front?

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
If the Rangers offer sheet way Rantanen and give him 95% of the contract as the signing bonus do the Avs have to match? Could a team like the Avs or say the Jets with Laine be targeted by a team with deep pockets?

Would this make the most sense to go after an Aho and give him all the money up front? If you really want to get the talent.

That's basically what Toronto did with the contract for John Tavares. So if the Rangers wanted to try that type of offer sheet on Marner instead of Rantanen, the Leafs would match it.

4chandler

Apr 11, 2019
That's basically what Toronto did with the contract for John Tavares. So if the Rangers wanted to try that type of offer sheet on Marner instead of Rantanen, the Leafs would match it.
Basically what I was trying to express to the 'everything and anything could happen to hurt the Leafs will happen crowd'

Trying to make the point that messing with Toronto is create another victim of these types of games across the league. Leafs would eventually win that game of spending money.

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
I’ve gotta be honest, this is significant.

$8,454,872 to $10,568,589: Two first-round picks plus second and third-round picks
$10,568,590 and over: Four first-round picks

If Marner and Rantanen make it to 7/1, I could absolutely see offer sheets in the range of $10m-$10.5m. Both are easily worth the price. Both the Leafs and Avs will match and it will cost them.

I would be shocked if the Islanders didn’t offer sheet Marner.

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
It would be an exercise in futility for a team to try to offer sheet Rantanen. The Avs have an incredible amount of cap space and one of, if not the wealthiest private owners/family in the NHL with the Kroenkes, with an estimated net worth of approximately $14 billion. You also have specific examples where the Avs with the Kroenkes specifically matching an offersheet virtually immediately.

The end result would likely be a further bad contract that negatively impacts the entire NHL and it would result in Gorton having pariah status among his fellow GMs for making a move with no logical beneficial conclusion.

Goulet17

May 22, 2003

From a ownership wealth and cap space perspective, it seems rather foolish to try to offer sheet Rantanen. It also would seem foolish to offer sheet Laine from an ownership wealth perspective, although cap issues may be more in play.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Basically what I was trying to express to the 'everything and anything could happen to hurt the Leafs will happen crowd'

Trying to make the point that messing with Toronto is create another victim of these types of games across the league. Leafs would eventually win that game of spending money.
Still when it comes to money chances are if the Rangers offered Marner an offer sheet where 95% of the contract is paid up front with signing bonuses, it's something the Leafs have no problem with matching or being able to pay themselves.

If Nashville was able to match that 14 year offer sheet that Philadelphia gave Shea Weber in July 2012 because they assumed there is no way they could or would want to match it, what does that say if a team thought they would be creative to screw over Toronto thinking they would not match and lose their player.

4chandler

Apr 11, 2019
Still when it comes to money chances are if the Rangers offered Marner an offer sheet where 95% of the contract is paid up front with signing bonuses, it's something the Leafs have no problem with matching or being able to pay themselves.

If Nashville was able to match that 14 year offer sheet that Philadelphia gave Shea Weber in July 2012 because they assumed there is no way they could or would want to match it, what does that say if a team thought they would be creative to screw over Toronto thinking they would not match and lose their player.
I'd take 4 first and cap room over Marner.

Leafs with 8 1st rounds picks in 4 years? They could make a number of trades packages to get the exact players they need to build an ideal rosters. So many options.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
This is the way I look at it. If you traded for Marner you are sending a team 4 assets(2 1sts, a good roster player and another pick/prospect) most likely they will be all highly regarded players/prospects/picks.

Salary wise I'm fine with him because say the Isles grabbed him. You stick him on a line with Nelson and another shooter and he'll drive the play and get the puck to the shooters. He basically does everything a center does except take draws and play down in the D zone.

And I kind of get that, but you need cost controlled youth moving forward to win, and you are trading four years worth of potential impactful cost controlled youth. Suddenly we've got to pay Barzal, pay Toews, and then eventually Wahlstrom, Dobson et al. Sure the cap will go up, but I just feel like overpaying a guy to woo him and then give up four significant assets as well is the equivalent of jumping on a grenade.

Isles72

Feb 27, 2002
Canada
And I kind of get that, but you need cost controlled youth moving forward to win, and you are trading four years worth of potential impactful cost controlled youth. Suddenly we've got to pay Barzal, pay Toews, and then eventually Wahlstrom, Dobson et al. Sure the cap will go up, but I just feel like overpaying a guy to woo him and then give up four significant assets as well is the equivalent of jumping on a grenade.
pour more money into scouting , player development to find gems along the way that you draft in the 2nd through 7th rounds + free agent europeans during the 4 year period of no 1sts .

and who's to say a trade or two of an asset cant put you back into the 1st round at any point during said 4 years .

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I'd take 4 first and cap room over Marner.

Leafs with 8 1st rounds picks in 4 years? They could make a number of trades packages to get the exact players they need to build an ideal rosters. So many options.
Even if that happened and let's say for argument sake the Leafs end up keeping all those first round picks, there is no guarantee they will work out. Now chances are that would not happen because you think with 8 first round picks in 4 years at least half should make it. Still the one difference is the Leafs already know what they have in Marner.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
pour more money into scouting , player development to find gems along the way that you draft in the 2nd through 7th rounds + free agent europeans during the 4 year period of no 1sts .

and who's to say a trade or two of an asset cant put you back into the 1st round at any point during said 4 years .
Nobody says we couldn't but would just add to the trail of assets left in Marner's wake. You'd think the guy was a generational talent with the cost of acquisition being discussed here.

4chandler

Apr 11, 2019
Even if that happened and let's say for argument sake the Leafs end up keeping all those first round picks, there is no guarantee they will work out. Now chances are that would not happen because you think with 8 first round picks in 4 years at least half should make it. Still the one difference is the Leafs already know what they have in Marner.
You're not addressing my point, you don't use one of those picks to draft a player, you package them for exactly what you want, you could make 8 Muzzin like deals, you can out bid anyone on a star RFA like Trouba four times, you probably use a mix of deals, you can trade for players on ELCs and if you like a particular draft year you could even get the talent you like in addition to the cap room.

There is a ton of flexibility.

ShaneinTpa

May 21, 2019
They need to reduce the outrageously high compensations though. It's seriously ridiculous how high the compensations are.
In fairness I think it is less than ridiculous than first glance. If it were weighted differently teams that draft well would be more penalized than they already are and weaker GM’s would be tantamount to ambulance chasing attormeys.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
I’ve gotta be honest, this is significant.

$8,454,872 to $10,568,589: Two first-round picks plus second and third-round picks
$10,568,590 and over: Four first-round picks

If Marner and Rantanen make it to 7/1, I could absolutely see offer sheets in the range of $10m-$10.5m. Both are easily worth the price. Both the Leafs and Avs will match and it will cost them.

I would be shocked if the Islanders didn’t offer sheet Marner.

It should be noted you can only sign them to 5 years or less at those values, say I sign them to 7 year 10M, they average that 70M over 5 years. All that being said I could see a team trying to use 4 years as an incentive(basically sign a deal till you are a UFA)

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad