Islanders 2018/19 Prospect Rankings - #8 Run-Off (Aho vs. Soderstrom)

Pick your Swede

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
How is this even possible? Aho has pretty much made it and Soderstrom is still a maybe...not even a great maybe

Reactions: Konk

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
How is this even possible? Aho has pretty much made it and Soderstrom is still a maybe...not even a great maybe

You've been around long enough to know that's not how this works. Upside vs floor vs likelihood of reaching upside. Aho getting 22 NHL games last year is the only reason he's sniffing this spot - otherwise he's lumped in with the Wotherspoon's and Vande Sompel's of the world. He certainly raised his "floor" with his play from last season which gave him a huge boost(hence this poll), but is it enough to pass Soderstrom's upside?

No, IMO.

ekill08x

Oct 29, 2011

Aho was a 22 year old rookie and part of one of the the worst D groups in history. He isn't ready and will be in the AHL, though his numbers were impressive there. Linus broke Hanks GAA records in the Swedish elite. That kid has a lot of talent and you are completely selling him short. Aho is just as much or even more of maybe to have an even mediocre NHL career.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013

Funny to me that the criteria has changed for some people. Previously Ho-Sang wasn't better than a bunch of guys because his potential wasn't as high, even though he's a much more known (and good) commodity at the NHL level...now many are using Aho's NHL experience to put him ahead here.

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
one more vote for another tie, c'mon guys

worldburn-top.jpg

Wanderson

Aug 1, 2011
Funny to me that the criteria has changed for some people. Previously Ho-Sang wasn't better than a bunch of guys because his potential wasn't as high, even though he's a much more known (and good) commodity at the NHL level...now many are using Aho's NHL experience to put him ahead here.

Sorokin got more pro experience than Ho-Sang. Dobson and Wahlstrom are favourites because of the new toy syndrome. Next season our 1st round pick will be rated as number 1 (or maybe 2).

steveat

Jun 4, 2011

I personally don't like to rank based on potential because that's all it is. MDC has super high potential. I do't think I need to say anymore.

The best prospects are the ones that make it and you rank (or I believe we should rank) based on actual merits that have been "earned" by said player.

I am thinking to put together an app to make this voting really good..like rating bars 1-5 based on potential, merit + a few other criteria that would average out and give a more fluid and thorough rank we can all agree on. One day...I just don't have the money for that and I'm too dumb to program it :cool:

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
Sorokin got more pro experience than Ho-Sang. Dobson and Wahlstrom are favourites because of the new toy syndrome. Next season our 1st round pick will be rated as number 1 (or maybe 2).

If I were 100% positive we'd see Sorokin, I'd have rated him #1. Everyone has their own subjective way of evaluating different dimensions. Whether you think the "russian factor" shouldn't play into an evaluation is your opinion. I think it should.

ekill08x

Oct 29, 2011

Again...pro experience has absolutely nothing to do with rating prospects. Ratings are based on upside. Nothing to do with new toy syndrome. Both players we selected this year were absolute steals and high end prospects. They easily have the highest upside in the system.

Reactions: LordNeverLose

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
I personally don't like to rank based on potential because that's all it is. MDC has super high potential. I do't think I need to say anymore.

The best prospects are the ones that make it and you rank (or I believe we should rank) based on actual merits that have been "earned" by said player.
By that logic, Mayfield is a better prospect than Dobson. Heck, even MDC has proven more than Wahlstrom who has yet to truly prove he can play professional hockey at any level.

Wanderson

Aug 1, 2011
Again...pro experience has absolutely nothing to do with rating prospects. Ratings are based on upside. Nothing to do with new toy syndrome. Both players we selected this year were absolute steals and high end prospects. They easily have the highest upside in the system.

According to you... For me pro experience is a big part in rating prospects. If the player has succeeded on pro level after the draft, he will rise in my rankings.

Last season we ranked Söderström at number 5, and Aho at number 9. What have happened since last year? Aho played very well in the AHL, and he also played 25+ games in the NHL. Did alright.
What happened to Söderström? He missed almost the whole season in Sweden because of an injury. When he played, he played very poorly. For me, it's impossible to rank Söderström infront of Aho.

However, people can vote however they want. Isn’t it lovely?

Last edited:

Frankie41987

Feb 1, 2007
Kings Park
I mean, it's sort of ridiculous to argue whats more important experience vs upside. Thats what makes scouting difficult, you have to take everything in context. For me, I just never trust goalies to develop because it is an absolute crap shoot. I don't care what soderstrom's numbers are, Sorokin's numbers, they pretty much mean nothing until they play an NHL game and see what we have.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Prospects always have to be evaluated based on:

1. their ceiling if they make it; and
2. the likelihood that they'll make it.

It's risk/reward. That's true at the draft and it's true in this poll. So if a kid like Aho has played in the NHL and didn't entirely look out of place, his "risk" number improves even if the upside remains the same. Soderstrom hasn't played in NA at all yet, and had kind of a down year in Sweden (and he's a GOALIE). So he's more risky even if his upside is higher.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011

I'll bite since I've started voting for Aho at #7.

Aho has actually stood out at the AHL level by having the highest PPG for a U-21 AHL defenseman who played 40+ games last season. If he was a few inches taller, he'd be drawing the same level of hype that Devon Toews is drawing. Aho showing he could hold his own in the NHL level in his first season in North America was absolutely a positive, but his performance in the AHL showed that he has legitimate NHL upside.

Ho-Sang on the other hand, has done well in the AHL, but for someone with his skating ability and talent, he should be dominating at that level.

Reactions: Konk

crasherino

May 9, 2013
You've been around long enough to know that's not how this works. Upside vs floor vs likelihood of reaching upside. Aho getting 22 NHL games last year is the only reason he's sniffing this spot - otherwise he's lumped in with the Wotherspoon's and Vande Sompel's of the world. He certainly raised his "floor" with his play from last season which gave him a huge boost(hence this poll), but is it enough to pass Soderstrom's upside?

No, IMO.
"Raised his floor" is a good way to categorize it. He played above his paygrade last year and acquitted himself fairly well. But, I'm not sure what his ceiling is. Maybe a regular 3rd pairing guy? Maybe a guy who could possibly sniff a 2nd pairing if EVERYTHING breaks right. Basically an average to an above average Dman.

Soderstrom's ceiling is a quality starting NHL goalie with the real extreme being a top tier starter (obviously a long shot). At this point, I'll take the starting goalie as a ceiling as opposed to a ho-hum, average defenseman (not that there's anything with that).

Reactions: blinkman360

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
By that logic, Mayfield is a better prospect than Dobson. Heck, even MDC has proven more than Wahlstrom who has yet to truly prove he can play professional hockey at any level.

Exactly OR both Dobson and MDC would be regulars at the NHL level.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad