OT: Is Vancouver a sports town?

west in the east

Sep 19, 2005
Vancouver
I know a lot of people who follow MLS, NHL, and CFL (friends, entire office and beyond) We also play a range of sports and go to the many amateur sports events we have in this city (rugby, triathlon, Gastown Grand Prix etc). So I guess it depends on the definition of "sports town". It certainly isn't a "sit on your ass for hours on end watching tv" town.

Tanevian*

Id say Vancouver is a "play outside" town rather than a sit and watch other people play town.

Nov 1, 2011
Vancouver is a sports town, as in playing, not watching.

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
Guess it depends on the definition of "sports town".

If its the usual defintion related to supporting pro sports teams then you'd have a hard time convincing me that a town/area that has one of the highest concentrations of lacrosse players, yet cant support a pro NLL team even though both Calgary and Deadmonton can, is a sports town.

Pure West

Oct 3, 2005
Vancouver
Not really. Since the NHL is the only game in town, the Canucks are wildly popular. However, the popularity of other sports is not even anywhere on the map. At least in Toronto you'd find interest in the other major NA sports even if it helps that they do have a team.

However, its an enjoyable place to live with a big diversity of recreational opportunities that don't exist in most places....so there frankly is less desire to allocate more time to following other sports. Not to say it isn't enjoyable to live in some sports towns, but the lifestyle culture is different here.

Sports towns in North America to me, are places like Pittsburgh, St Louis, Philadelphia, Chicago, Boston, New York.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
I agree with what a lot of people are saying about Vancouver. It is a hockey town and that's where it really ends. Vancouver is a very active city with a lot of outside activities to take part in but I definitely wouldn't call it a sports town. Hockey is king and everything else has a very small niche following.

JBIZ14

Nov 22, 2007
Lethbridge
I agree with what a lot of people are saying about Vancouver. It is a hockey town and that's where it really ends. Vancouver is a very active city with a lot of outside activities to take part in but I definitely wouldn't call it a sports town. Hockey is king and everything else has a very small niche following.

:shakehead

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth

If it makes you feel better we can all pretend that Vancouver is a sports town. Take a trip to NY, Boston etc. if you really want to know what a true sports town looks and feels like... and this is coming from a guy who lives and breaths BC Lions football. I'm not just a Canucks homer. Vancouver is so far removed from a true sports town it isn't even a question. My opinion though. Everyone has one and not everyone will agree.

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013
Call me when we are able to support an MLB, NFL, and NBA franchise. Then we'll find out if we are truly a sports town.

I am not qualified to say if van is a sports town or not, but IMHO it should not weigh on how many fans there are of sporting leagues from a whole other country.

JBIZ14

Nov 22, 2007
Lethbridge
If it makes you feel better we can all pretend that Vancouver is a sports town. Take a trip to NY, Boston etc. if you really want to know what a true sports town looks and feels like... and this is coming from a guy who lives and breaths BC Lions football. I'm not just a Canucks homer. Vancouver is so far removed from a true sports town it isn't even a question. My opinion though. Everyone has one and not everyone will agree.
So to be a sports town you need to be old and have a huge population?

What makes these cities more involved in sport then any other?

Basically what makes a sports town to you?

To me active participation in sport and options for personal involvement in a large variety of sport makes a sports town...not how many obese guys are sitting around bars talking sport with other obese guys. It is absolutely shocking to see the obesity of fans at professional sporting events.

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East

To me active participation in sport and options for personal involvement in a large variety of sport makes a sports town...not how many obese guys are sitting around bars talking sport with other obese guys. It is absolutely shocking to see the obesity of fans at professional sporting events.

Base camp Everest. Sportiest town evar!!!!

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth

Not sure what your views on obesity has to do with the topic at hand. Vancouver is not a sports town. That is my opinion. If you disagree, fine by me. To me a sports town is one that consistently supports more than one team or sport. In Vancouver it begins and ends with Canucks hockey. None of the other sports garner anywhere near the interest they deserve. I'm not trying to trash Vancouver or it's citizens but the question on whether it is a sports town seems silly to me when the Canucks are the only team the majority of the populous cares about. The Lions and Caps belong to niche sports leagues where only the truest of fans support. Heck, at times it seems as though the Giants get more attention but hockey is king so that isn't a surprise. Take a trip to a city that has 3 or 4 of the major NA sports leagues and you will truly see what a sports town looks and feels like. It has nothing to do with the age or population. I don't think Canada has a true SPORTS town in the traditional sense. We have hockey towns. In the US and even in other cities around the world they have 2,3 sometimes 4 sports that are national treasures. In Canada it's hockey. Being diehard supportive of one sport does not make us sports markets. In Vancouver it's the NHL(Canucks Hockey) and the rest fall of the radar pretty fast.

Last edited:

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
Unfortunately...
No.
There are not enough major sports here...
As other posters pointed out.

Regardless...
The people are fanatic about the Canucks...
And the passion is comparable to other major sport cities.

JBIZ14

Nov 22, 2007
Lethbridge
Not sure what your views on obesity has to do with the topic at hand. Vancouver is not a sports town. That is my opinion. If you disagree, fine by me. To me a sports town is one that consistently supports more than one team or sport. In Vancouver it begins and ends with Canucks hockey. None of the other sports garner anywhere near the interest they deserve. I'm not trying to trash Vancouver or it's citizens but the question on whether it is a sports town seems silly to me when the Canucks are the only team the majority of the populous cares about. The Lions and Caps belong to niche sports leagues where only the truest of fans support. Heck, at times it seems as though the Giants get more attention but hockey is king so that isn't a surprise. Take a trip to a city that has 3 or 4 of the major NA sports leagues and you will truly see what a sports town looks and feels like. It has nothing to do with the age or population. I don't think Canada has a true SPORTS town in the traditional sense. We have hockey towns. In the US and even in other cities around the world they have 2,3 sometimes 4 sports that are national treasures. In Canada it's hockey. Being diehard supportive of one sport does not make us sports markets. In Vancouver it's the NHL(Canucks Hockey) and the rest fall of the radar pretty fast.
Im not arguing against your opinion I am saying the phrase "sports town" does not just reflect professional sports. I have been to cities with 4 pro sports teams and they all had one thing in common...they were bigger then Vancouver. Pro sports is business therefore the more people to sell to the more pro sports there will be, my arguement is that having lots of pro teams doesnt necessarily make a sports town. To me a cities participation in sport should be the determining factor on wether its a sports town not just the cities involvement in pro leagues.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
Im not arguing against your opinion I am saying the phrase "sports town" does not just reflect professional sports. I have been to cities with 4 pro sports teams and they all had one thing in common...they were bigger then Vancouver. Pro sports is business therefore the more people to sell to the more pro sports there will be, my arguement is that having lots of pro teams doesnt necessarily make a sports town. To me a cities participation in sport should be the determining factor on wether its a sports town not just the cities involvement in pro leagues.

Ok. I think I get where you are coming from. It sounds like we are both talking about 2 different meanings of 'sports town'. I thought we were talking about if Vancouver was a sports town in the traditional pro/am sports term. Seems like you are more talking about it in a recreational sense. In a recreational sense I absolutely believe Vancouver is a 'sports town'. Many things to do and see with most of the population participating in some form of activity on a regular basis. As far as 'sports town' in the traditional pro/am phrase that gets thrown around for conversation piece when watching your favorite team play I don't think Vancouver qualifies when the only team/sport that really gets major attention all year round is Canucks hockey. Again though, it all comes down to how we are viewing 'sports town' and how that translates.

mrmyheadhurts

Registered Boozer
Mar 22, 2007
Vancouver
We are starting to approach a population size where I think both the NBA and MLB should start doing serious market research into setting up shop. Our corporate base is growing with companies like Facebook, Pixar and Twitter moving in - just to name a few - and while hockey will always be #1, Vancouver is one of the more active cities in North America and there are a wide range of sporting interests. If we aren't a sports town, we are most certainly a sporting town. People seem to forget how much damn rain we get, people are starved for indoor activities for 9 months of the year. There is a lot of money in this town (I don't have any of it, but there is a lot), someone should be taking it! : )

I don't care for basketball at all, but I would certainly go to some ball games. I think an MLB would have a great shot at success here, if an equally great stadium was built.

CascadiaPuck

Proud Canucks investor.
Jan 13, 2010
Vancouver
Metro Vancouver pop. ~2.5 million. Metro Chicago pop. ~10 million (justifying many more pro teams than we have!). Doesn't seem like a reasonable comparison.

Aside: Boston has been brought up here. It definitely has a great sports atmosphere but as noted by someone else, they've been absolutely spoiled on the sports front for the past decade or so. I spent some time there 2005-09. Great vibe. I went to a few Bruins games where I met some really great hockey fans who were interested in talking hockey with an outsider (no bad blood then). I felt bad for them to be honest: they were passionate people with a decent team but the interest wasn't there. All the jerseys I saw said Orr, Neely, or Thornton (weird) - no current players at the time (and they had some good ones!). The few games I went to were about 20% empty. I'm guessing with a winning team things are a bit different now!

EDIT: Re: OP, I don't think we're particularly "un-sporty", for whatever that is worth. I just don't think we have the critical mass of people to create, say, a "sports district". Also, our tighter liquor laws might dampen the ability to have a culture where you can stand 5 deep at a bar to watch a game on a TV, popping into a place to catch a period/game/inning on the way home from work. I've been part of that in Chicago and Boston and I've never seen it here.

Tanevian*

I think the problem people have with hearing this is they take as some sort of insult. It isn't.

jbean

Jan 17, 2009
Cities like Boston and Chicago have had multiple major league sports teams for over a hundred years. Their franchises have much, much deeper and richer histories, not to mention a large amount of championships. What does Vancouver have to compare to the other major American or Canadian sports cities? There is some decent hockey history with the 1915 Millionaires and 40 years of NHL, but it is minuscule in comparison to the history of the Cubs, White Sox, Bulls, Bears, Blackhawks, or Red Sox, Celtics, Bruins, Patriots, let alone college sports. There really is no comparison past or present.

Superlative Soup

Treasured and Marveled
Apr 8, 2013
Saskatchewan
It really isn't.

Been a Canucks fan for almost 20 years but I only made my first trip there this Spring. I was very excited to walk amongst all my fellow passionate Canucks fans, as here in Sask most people hate the Canucks.

I was very disappointed. I walked up and down Granville and I wouldn't have even known a NHL team was in the city. I looked out of place in my Edler jersey. This was a week before the playoffs started! I thought the city would be buzzing.

Anyways, my buddy who lives there told me it isn't really cool to cheer for the Canucks until they're deep into the playoffs. Pretty weak if you ask me. Maybe I just caught Vancouver on a bad week:(

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
It really isn't.

Been a Canucks fan for almost 20 years but I only made my first trip there this Spring. I was very excited to walk amongst all my fellow passionate Canucks fans, as here in Sask most people hate the Canucks.

I was very disappointed. I walked up and down Granville and I wouldn't have even known a NHL team was in the city. I looked out of place in my Edler jersey. This was a week before the playoffs started! I thought the city would be buzzing.

Anyways, my buddy who lives there told me it isn't really cool to cheer for the Canucks until they're deep into the playoffs. Pretty weak if you ask me. Maybe I just caught Vancouver on a bad week:(

You didn't.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad