Votes: 62 72.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

pckstpr31

Jul 13, 2010
CGY
The Oilers find themselves in a bad position once again. With it being a completely realistic option that McDavid won't want to waste prime years of his career missing the playoffs, is it genuinely feasible that trading him could be the right choice? I don't mean can he be traded, but rather is there any scenario where trading him is the best choice for the franchise?

Tkachuky

Dec 30, 2009
In the Dome
They won’t trade him until he asks for it.
This.

Imo, the Oilers would benefit more by moving him.

I think he would fetch an elite #1 C, very good top 2 dman, top prospect and a couple of picks ( 1st round + 2nd round kind of thing maybe condition of turning into 1)

He is the best player in the league and will be for the next 5-10 years but the Oilers are in such a predicament, it’s hard to figure out a long term path.

Realistically, they stay course and make playoffs and don’t go far, or miss playoffs and get a decent pick. (They aren’t contenders)

I bet they move Drai before McDavid.

I’d be curious to hear from oilers fans what the ‘fix’ would look like in their opinion. I just don’t see the oilers having assets to move and improve overall.

OilCanada92

May 1, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
This.

I think he would fetch an elite #1 C, very good top 2 dman, top prospect and a couple of picks ( 1st round + 2nd round kind of thing maybe condition of turning into 1)

He is the best player in the league and will be for the next 5-10 years but the Oilers are in such a predicament, it’s hard to figure out a long term path.

Realistically, they stay course and make playoffs and don’t go far, or miss playoffs and get a decent pick. (They aren’t contenders)

I bet they move Drai before McDavid.

I’d be curious to hear from oilers fans what the ‘fix’ would look like in their opinion. I just don’t see the oilers having assets to move and improve overall.
This is the worst Oilers team I've ever watched. Worse than the team that got us Hall. Worse than the one that got us McDavid.

...and they're fighting for a playoff spot because of McDavid. That's how good he is. He's not the guy you sacrifice. Imagine Gaudreau putting up the numbers he is with the Flames top AHL wingers. It is such an advantage to have McDavid. Having him is like cheating or a short cut to success. It's 12M for a player who automatically makes a line a top line even if he has two players making less than a million on each side of him.

Reactions: BobColesNasalCavity

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
Flames fans think Oilers should trade McDavid. Shocker. Close this
I don’t think it’s flames fans only. I think there’s a significant portion of NHL fans anywhere that would like to see him in a better situation. For his benefit and our benefit in the joy of watching the best player in the world.

Thenameless

Apr 29, 2014
No. He's the only reason another star player might want to come to Edmonton. Without him, the one candle that Edmonton has, goes out.

sufferer

Dec 6, 2017
You trade every other player than McDavid and every draft pick five times over before you even think of such a thing.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Every player has a price. It's absurd to say they would NEVER trade him.

Is that price likely to be met? No.
Are they going to be looking to trade him (unless he asks for it)? No.

But that doesn't mean it couldn't happen and couldn't be good for them.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
In a nutshell? Yeah they could immediately improve with a hefty enough return package but I would think they'd rather continue to try to build around him.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Considering they have few assets worth much to get the depth they so desperately need, it's possible with the right deal and some luck they end up with a better team after a couple years when the picks/young players they'd receive pan out, but the risk of them not panning out, and ending up with pennies on the dollar is far too great. We've seen star players moved for packages that worked out, but far more often the packages ended up far below what you'd want out of such a deal. And that's not even mentioning the business side of trading the best player in the league

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
Unless youre getting MacKinnon and scheifele out of it(combined equals McDavid's salary cap)

No. It's never really viable to give up the best player

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
In the current NHL, teams are one or two really good moves away from contending. Having an asset like McDavid is a premium as he may be one of a handful or one of two players that can make a such a significant difference to your team's fortunes.

That being said, everyone has their price, just ask David Murphy.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
honestly even if it was does anyone really expect the Oilers of all teams to be able to get a return out of it that doesn't look like a total joke? really?

6ix

HitEmWit4LikeAustonM
Nov 26, 2014
It would benefit him and the league. A player of McDavids caliber should not be rotting in a small market circus dump.

He should be in a big market like NY, Chicago, Toronto, Boston, MTL, Vancouver etc.

SteelerNation

Oct 23, 2012
He should ask for a trade. What market is worse for his personal career like endorsements than Edmonton? Maybe there is a couple other spots, but Edmonton is low on the scale of cities that grant exposure. Couple this with the fact that they are the worse run organization in the league by far, then what does Edmonton offer to Conner? He should ask for a trade out of there ASAP, as he not only wasting away prime years of his career, but he just dosent matter in Edmonton. Imagine Mcjesus in a big market that people actually cared about?

Tim Vezina Thomas

Jun 4, 2009
This.

Just seems like a video game proposal. Who are you considering an elite #1C? And what teams would be willing to trade that center with likely their best D man, best prospect and two high picks? They'd arguably end up just like the Oilers... completely top heavy with no depth.

I challenge you to think of a proposal where both teams accept, there isn't one.

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Might as well fold if you trade a generational player.
This is nowhere close to the Gretzky trade where Wayne was traded after winning multiple cups. This is like trading Orr, Mario, Crosby, Gretzky etc. at the beginning of their careers. It’s never happened. The closest thing I can think of is Lindros. But that was right after he was drafted.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
I voted yes. In theory. Huge caveat

Do the type of trade sakic did when he traded Duchene. Or the type of haul quebec got for Lindros

Yes that is viable and could fix the franchise with the right ppl in charge.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
I don’t think it’s flames fans only. I think there’s a significant portion of NHL fans anywhere that would like to see him in a better situation. For his benefit and our benefit in the joy of watching the best player in the world.

Well today he got that better situation. So let's end this ridiculous topic.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Its certainly a viable option but whether the Oilers would do it would be another question. It would certainly free up a lot of cap space and if they got a number of early first round draft picks they could start over. The question is... who has $12.5M cap space to fit in his contract?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille