Speculation: Is Trading Del Zotto a good idea?

Danthehockeyman

Dec 13, 2013
Albany, NY
Look, I'm not happy with the play Del Zotto is bringing forth but is it such a good idea to trade him?

Look at Fedor Tyutin, we dumped him and he is outplaying all our defensemen in play as well as scoring ( he is leagues behind Mac Truck though)

AV plays DZ on the wrong side, of course he's going to suck. HE ISN'T AN RD.

My fear is he is going to have more great seasons like he did before the lockout.

Green Blob*

Look, I'm not happy with the play Del Zotto is bringing forth but is it such a good idea to trade him?

Look at Fedor Tyutin, we dumped him and he is outplaying all our defensemen in play as well as scoring ( he is leagues behind Mac Truck though)

AV plays DZ on the wrong side, of course he's going to suck. HE ISN'T AN RD.

My fear is he is going to have more great seasons like he did before the lockout.

Tyutin was 5x better than MDZ when he was traded. He should have never been traded in the first place.

Punxrocknyc19*

Tyutin was 5x better than MDZ when he was traded. He should have never been traded in the first place.

but the management of this wonderful team thought differently... :rant: that was such a stupid trade... Zherdev was overrated anyways... too inconsistent.. although he will be remembered for this

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
I'd consider trading Girardi if they can get a good package for him, and then keeping MDZ, as Girardi would be worth far more and this team simply can't afford to let go of two d-men right now. If they resign G, then I think they can afford to trade MDZ. Should they? I don't know. I could see him turning it around. He's a valuable asset when he's on his game, though we haven't seen it much this year. Being real, we haven't seen the top game of many, many players this year. Can't help but wonder if there's a central reason that includes MDZ, perhaps being uncomfortable with a new coach.

nikonsniper*

Of all the youth that the Rangers have traded away since 1994, the only three that i wish we could get back are:

Zubov
Dubinsky
Tyutin

Richter915

Feb 2, 2010
no sense in resigning girardi...this system is not for him. He is a torts style dman. Trading him would definitely get more back than MDZ.

cd211

Feb 6, 2010
New York, NY
i wouldn't even consider moving him until we know whats going on with g..

loosing both we cant afford to do.. but if we move g for a ridiculous package (vatalen+palmieri) even though i am against moving him.. id keep mdz..

still young, a ton of talent just needs confidence and opportunity to get back in an important role

noupf

Jan 31, 2007
no, no it is not. another young player with upside that the orginization is going to give up on way to early.....he's is 23 years old people......23

For more information about giving up too early on quality D men, See: Zubov, Sergi

However, this is the New York Ranger organization that we are talking about, so it is expected that he will be traded for, what will be more than likely, a useless player, that will never perform to expectations......, meanwhile DZ will move on to anther team, find his game and turn himself into a quality offensive defenseman in the National Hockey Leauge.

Green Blob*

i wouldn't even consider moving him until we know whats going on with g..

loosing both we cant afford to do.. but if we move g for a ridiculous package (vatalen+palmieri) even though i am against moving him.. id keep mdz..

still young, a ton of talent just needs confidence and opportunity to get back in an important role

We absolutely can is we can back a good defenseman in the process.

Richter915

Feb 2, 2010
no, no it is not. another young player with upside that the orginization is going to give up on way to early.....he's is 23 years old people......23

For more information about giving up too early on quality D men, See: Zubov, Sergi

However, this is the New York Ranger organization that we are talking about, so it is expected that he will be traded for, what will be, more than likely a useless player, that will never perform to expectations......, meanwhile DZ will move on to anther team, find his game and turn himself into a quality offensive Defenseman in the National Hockey Leauge.
that's the thing, if we trade a 23 y/o with potential and instead get an established dman around 28-30...it's worth doing.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I don't see what dealing Girardi would have to do with not dealing Del Zotto. Del Zotto really is a left side D which is an overloaded position on our team. McDonagh, Staal, Del Zotto, Moore, Falk and Skjei are really all left side guys.

Dealing Girardi means to me the Rangers are going to be looking for a guy who can really play the right side--something DZ is particularly bad at and Moore and Falk are only somewhat better than DZ at. Stralman hasn't been playing particularly well on the right side lately either. Not very confident that he can eat the big minutes that Girardi eats.

I expect if the Rangers move Girardi--they are going to sign another right side D UFA this summer for a big chunk of cap space. Whatever assets the Rangers get back for Girardi and however well his replacement plays will determine just how smart a move it will be.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY

However, this is the New York Ranger organization that we are talking about, so it is expected that he will be traded for, what will be more than likely, a useless player, that will never perform to expectations......, meanwhile DZ will move on to anther team, find his game and turn himself into a quality offensive defenseman in the National Hockey Leauge.

When's the last time Del Zotto scored 89 points for us in a season? Zubov was the real deal when it comes to an offensive defenseman. Del Zotto doesn't compare well.

noupf

Jan 31, 2007
that's the thing, if we trade a 23 y/o with potential and instead get an established dman around 28-30...it's worth doing.

so, what gm in there right mind is going to offer us a BETTER defenseman for a WORSE defenseman?

noupf

Jan 31, 2007
When's the last time Del Zotto scored 89 points for us in a season? Zubov was the real deal when it comes to an offensive defenseman. Del Zotto doesn't compare well.

with all due respect, you can only assume that. since DZ has another 15 years to prove himself, you can not say that he will not become an elite offensive defenseman. I do agree that its not probable, but you can not say it with certainty.

Point is, he's 23 and you have to use young players in the cap era. A couple years from now, he could be great........i'd be happy with "good".

Samuel Culper III

Mr. Woodhull...
Jan 15, 2007
Texas
Simply put, I don't think DZ is ever going to return to the player he's capable of being, nor make further progress towards whatever his potential ultimately is at this stage, if he stays in NY. I believe that he is capable, even currently with how poor he's played this year, of being a very, very good middle pairing player already and probably has the potential to eventually be a perennial ~45 point dman at the same time, but the likelihood of him doing so in NY is marginal now. I could even see him having a career year of 55+ in the right circumstances. So is it a good idea to trade him?

Unfortunately if we do the return will not be what you'd expect of the kind of player I just described but I think that we are ultimately better off moving him regardless because that's not the player we're going to be getting either if we hold onto him. It's a shame because it guarantees that we're going to be selling low on him. At the same time I still think he can return something that will address a need for us or benefit us more than the kind of DZ we'll be getting if we keep him. Our best bet of getting a fair return on the potential DZ actually has is probably another high potential youngster in need of a change as well. We can't hold on to a DZ who isn't going to succeed here just to avoid regretting watching him do so elsewhere.

At the same time we don't necessarily have to move him right now. If we do end up moving G, or even Stralman, without an NHL dman coming back and AV actually lets DZ play, he may be able to at least recover some of his trade value and make it easier for us to eventually make a better trade. While I don't believe he'll ever be able to return to form or reach his potential as a Ranger any more I do think letting him play consistently will help rebound his value a bit. AV's handling of DZ this far has minimalized his value to other GMs. While his play hasn't been good I think the benchings have hurt his stock more than his actual performance. Let him get in the lineup regularly; hell, even put him in a position to succeed (LD, paired with Staal or Stralman instead of one of our #7 quality dmen) and by the draft his stock will undoubtedly have risen from where it is today. Still, I think he should ultimately be moved sometime during the off season at the latest. He may be able to recover enough value to help us net a more palatable return but I don't think he can ever become that solid 3/4 dman as a NY Ranger.

theFiGS

Oct 13, 2013
You guys are honestly shot. This is a bad hockey team keeping del zotto shouldn't be based around if we keep Girardi, if we don't trade Girardi it will be a huge mistake because that means if we lose him we get nothing and he's on a decline. Del zotto is bad at defense he needs a change and we need something different. It's obvious trade them both and in the Girardi deal get a young dman that might crack the line up with potential.
Girardi gets us a 1st plus 1 or 2 prospects and del zotto can get us a hot meal you take that.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
You guys are honestly shot. This is a bad hockey team keeping del zotto shouldn't be based around if we keep Girardi, if we don't trade Girardi it will be a huge mistake because that means if we lose him we get nothing and he's on a decline. Del zotto is bad at defense he needs a change and we need something different. It's obvious trade them both and in the Girardi deal get a young dman that might crack the line up with potential.
Girardi gets us a 1st plus 1 or 2 prospects and del zotto can get us a hot meal you take that.

Why on earth would you take that for a homegrown d-man that puts up the kinds of points DZ has the last two years? That is a needless waste of a real asset.

Also, you trade two d-men who have spent considerable time in the top 6 and you replace them with a young guy who might crack the lineup? So, even if that player happens to crack the lineup, our 7th dman right now becomes our 6th, we find an even lesser player for 7th, and we roll with a pretty horrendous defense for the foreseeable future. If that d-man doesn't crack the lineup...then what?

I don't think thats the obvious solution at all. I'd be downright disappointed if that happened.

BarbaraAlphanse

Hf Logic:

Del Zotto is horrific but keep him over our most consistent defender over the past decade. He'll snap out of his 5 year funk one day...:shakehead

BarbaraAlphanse

but the management of this wonderful team thought differently... :rant: that was such a stupid trade... Zherdev was overrated anyways... too inconsistent.. although he will be remembered for this

I'll remember him for this:

Kwayry

Jun 30, 2011
Plano
I'd definitely keep him. As I said in another thread, he has proven point production, played consistent top 4 and top pair when called upon admirably. As long as Staal is not playing up to his standard and Moore struggling mightily, I won't trade him, especially not now when his value is at its lowest.

Mike Kunble… I'm sure there are plenty of others, but I don't see MDZ ever fitting into this category.

I am sure that's what a lot of people said before those players got traded.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad