Is Toronto the saddest sports city in North America?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maestro84

May 3, 2018
Toronto
When I think of great sports cities, the first ones that come to mind are Boston, Los Angeles, Chicago, NYC, Pittsburgh and the Bay Area who have all won countless championships over the years. When I think of crappy sports cities, Toronto is one of the first ones to come to mind. As a Toronto native, I love everything about this city...besides its sports teams who seem to underachieve and disappoint at every chance

The Raptors have made zero finals in their history; their best ever result is one conference finals where they were destroyed by the LBJ led Cavs (the same team who made the Raps their whipping boy for the past few years). They've also won just 5 total playoff series. To make matters worst, literally no star player wants to play or stay here long-term, while American media constantly mocks at the idea of a Canadian city having an NBA franchise

The Leafs have not won a playoff series in ages, and haven't been to the Cup finals since TV was black and white, let alone actually winning the cup. This is beyond tragic as Toronto is supposed home to the biggest market in hockey

The Jays have made the playoffs just twice since 1993, although I tend to go easier on the Jays as they had some great players/moments over the years, are the most recent TO team to win something and playing in the same division as the Red Sox and Yankees sucks major a**

Overall, the city of TO has seen no major championships in the last 25 years and in the big picture, have seen just two in the last half century. None of our teams have even made a finals appearance for the last quarter century FFS and on many occasions, having a team even making the playoffs called for a celebration in this city.

I know teams like TFC, the Argos and Rock have all had a lot of success but the MLS and CFL are clearly a gazillion times weaker than Euro Football Leagues and the NFL, respectively, while the NLL isn't even seen as a popular league by most GTA residents.

Some other cities that many like to bring up include Cleveland, Atlanta and Detroit. Cleveland is a sad sports town, yes, but they just recently won the NBA Championship while employing the best player of the last 15 years, along with taking down a 73 win team in the most humiliating way possible. The Indians were a win away from winning the World Series a couple years ago, and overall, the Cavs and Indians have made their fair share of finals appearances in the last 15-20 years. The Browns are a disgrace though.

I don't even know how Detroit could qualify as a candidate. The Red Wings were a dynasty for like 15 years, while making the playoffs for like 25 years in a row. The Pistons were the best team in the East for the majority of the 2000's and were a force with the Bad Boys in the late 80's/early 90's. The Tigers had some great talent over the last decade and made a couple WS appearances. The Lions are the only bad spot on Detroit sports.

Atlanta is actually one that can actually compete with TO for being the saddest sports city in the continent. The Braves somehow won just one WS with a loaded core everyone would kill to have over a 10+ year span. The Hawks and Falcons have been an utter disappointment and they lost their hockey team twice. I'd still put them over TO though since the Braves' most recent trophy is still more recent than any Toronto win.

Last edited:
Reactions: weinsink

Bonzo111

Leafs Fan
Oct 31, 2017
Canaderp
giphy.gif

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
When I think of great sports cities, the first ones that come to mind are Boston, Los Angeles, Chicago, NYC, Pittsburgh and the Bay Area who have all won countless championships over the years. When I think of crappy sports cities, Toronto is one of the first ones to come to mind. As a Toronto native, I love everything about this city...besides its sports teams who seem to underachieve and disappoint at every chance

The Raptors have made zero finals in their history; their best ever result is one conference finals where they were destroyed by the LBJ led Cavs (the same team who made the Raps their whipping boy for the past few years). They've also won just 5 total playoff series. To make matters worst, literally no star player wants to play or stay here long-term, while American media constantly mocks at the idea of a Canadian city even having an NBA franchise

The Leafs have not won a playoff series in ages, and haven't been to the Cup finals since TV was black and white, let alone actually winning the cup

The Jays have made the playoffs just twice since 1993, although I tend to go easier on the Jays as they had some great players over the years, are the most recent TO team to win something and playing in the same division as the Red Sox and Yankees sucks major a**

Overall, the city of TO has seen no major championships in the last 25 years and in the big picture, have seen just two in the last half century. None of our teams have even made a finals appearance for the last quarter century FFS and on many occasions, having a team even making the playoffs called for a celebration in this city.

I know teams like TFC, the Argos and Rock have all had a lot of success but the MLS and CFL are clearly a gazillion times weaker than Euro Football Leagues and the NFL, respectively, while the NLL isn't even seen as a popular league by most GTA residents.

Some other cities that many like to bring up include Cleveland, Atlanta and Detroit. Cleveland is a sad sports town, yes, but they just recently won the NBA Championship while employing the best player of the last 15 years, along with taking down a 73 win team in the most humiliating way possible. The Indians were a win away from winning the World Series a couple years ago, and overall, the Cavs and Indians have made their fair share of finals appearances in the last 15-20 years. The Browns are a disgrace though.

I don't even know how Detroit could qualify as a candidate. The Red Wings were a dynasty for like 15 years, while making the playoffs for like 25 years in a row. The Pistons were the best team in the East for the majority of the 2000's and were a force with the Bad Boys in the late 80's/early 90's. The Tigers had some great talent over the last decade and made a couple WS appearances. The Lions are the only bad spot on Detroit sports.

Atlanta is actually one that can actually compete with TO for being the saddest sports city in the continent. The Braves somehow won just one WS with a loaded core everyone would kill to have over a 10+ year span. The Hawks and Falcons have been an utter disappointment and they lost their hockey team twice. I'd still put them over TO though since the Braves' most recent trophy is still more recent than any Toronto win.

Thanks for putting Atlanta over Toronto. Shows you care.

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
Toronto is on the up and up, stick around it'll be quite a show. Seems like a Toronto jab thread in all honesty, should've just posted on LeafsHF.

Dustin

Sep 24, 2014

The Raptors have made zero finals in their history; their best ever result is one conference finals where they were destroyed by the LBJ led Cavs (the same team who made the Raps their whipping boy for the past few years). They've also won just 5 total playoff series. To make matters worst, literally no star player wants to play or stay here long-term, while American media constantly mocks at the idea of a Canadian city even having an NBA franchise

The Leafs have not won a playoff series in ages, and haven't been to the Cup finals since TV was black and white, let alone actually winning the cup

The Jays have made the playoffs just twice since 1993, although I tend to go easier on the Jays as they had some great players over the years, are the most recent TO team to win something and playing in the same division as the Red Sox and Yankees sucks major a**

Overall, the city of TO has seen no major championships in the last 25 years and in the big picture, have seen just two in the last half century. None of our teams have even made a finals appearance for the last quarter century FFS and on many occasions, having a team make the playoffs called for a celebration in this city.

While it's hard to gauge the significance of teams in each city and how they are perceived by their respective leagues I would say that Buffalo is probably close to if not worse than Toronto.

If the Leafs were not an Original 6 team with a deep history and past accomplishments I think we would be viewed similarly to the Canucks but with an obviously much larger fanbase. The significance of the Leafs is what hurts. The Raptors are hardly a significant NBA franchise and the Jays are in the same boat. That being said the Jays have multiple championships and were relevant in terms of competition not too long ago and other sports such as MLS, CFL and La Crosse have been successful.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto

The Raptors have made zero finals in their history; their best ever result is one conference finals where they were destroyed by the LBJ led Cavs (the same team who made the Raps their whipping boy for the past few years). They've also won just 5 total playoff series. To make matters worst, literally no star player wants to play or stay here long-term, while American media constantly mocks at the idea of a Canadian city having an NBA franchise

Why don't you list some of these to create a balance .

NoName

Bringer of Playoffs!
Nov 3, 2017
Jays went on two runs to the ALCS recently and the Raps have a recent conference finals as well (and look like the sexy pick to make it to the Finals this season). TFC has a chanpionship last season as do the Argonauts. The Leafs are a Cup Contender.

Yeah there is some sad history in Toronto sports going back to the early 90s (when the Jays were back-to-back world series champions and the Leafs were Cup Contenders), but for the past few years up to right now, it is actually a pretty promising time to be a Toronto fan.

As to sad sport cities, Buffalo looms large. The twin cities also have some droughts. For Canada, there is also always Vancouver and its failures and riots (two now after losing Cups) with the Canucks, mediocre soccer team and lost NBA team. Washington and Cleveland are finally off the snide with the Caps and Cavs pulling off recent unlikely championships at least (as the other teams in their cities are less then stellar).

hyduK

Feb 21, 2009
Eh, the Leafs have a sad recent history but the Raps and Jays are pretty decent contextually.

Jays have championships and have had some good years outside of that. They've had some star players. The reality is, like you mentioned, that they are in the same division as Boston and NYY and it's unrealistic for them to compete on a year in year out basis. Maybe if there was a salary cap in baseball there would be a chance. They're the only MLB team in a Canadian market so that's another hurdle when it comes to attracting talent.

The Raptors are still a relatively new franchise all things considered. They suffer some of the same hurdles as the Blue Jays. Again, the only Canadian team in a sport that's absolutely dominated by American players makes it tough to attract the best talent and basketball especially is a sport where top end talent wins. I feel like that's really starting to change though, they've got a huge fanbase up here and if you look at the way ticket prices are trending (due to a combination of some people being priced out of the Leafs market + the hype) ownership is going to start pushing harder to get those star players (+Masai!). Hell, they just traded away a star player (granted not a superstar) and he was devastated. There's a legit chance that they are able to extend Kawhi if they live up to their potential this year and that could go a long way to changing things. Championships are obviously the thing that really matters, but they've had great years all things considered...just sucks that they coincided with Lebron's dominance.

Last edited:

WestCoast CyberG

Nov 5, 2018
Toronto won the MLS and Grey Cup just recently, looks like the SC may be on the horizon in 2 or 3 years (as much as that pains me to say..we have Leafs overload already...enough TSN).

I live in Vancouver and cheer for the Canucks so losing is a way of life out here, so in no position to point fingers...but it is why we all act like EP40 is the second coming of Jeebus much like what Matthews did for the Maple Leaf faithful.

Maestro84

May 3, 2018
Toronto
Why don't you list some of these to create a balance .
Well for starters, Toronto is the NYC of Canada. It is by far the biggest market in the nation for business/job opportunities both domestically and internationally.

Furthermore, there's so much to do and see everywhere around the city, most diverse city in the world, quality education/health care (although that's pretty much every big Canadian city), top-tier restaurants/bars (whether you're looking for Chinese, Italian, French cuisines or others), great vibes all around the city at all times (whether you're near Lake Ontario, in night clubs or just walking on the streets), low crime rates, friendly people, great infrastructure/architecture, etc.

There's literally nothing bad about Toronto as a city itself, it's honestly one of the best cities in the world, although my opinion could be a bit biased, but in terms of sports, it definitely doesn't coincide with the rest of the city's upsides.

Last edited:

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
Keeping to OP’s point about tragic sports towns:

It’s buffalo.

Twin cities are also rough.

(I am a buffalo fan living in the twin cities so I root for both teams pathetically!)

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
How is Toronto a "crappy" sports city? It's a great sports city whose teams have had minimal to no success in many years. I think the two are totally independent of each other.

When I think of "crappy" sports cities, Atlanta and Miami immediately jump to my mind.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
Well for starters, Toronto is the NYC of Canada. It is by far the biggest market for business both domestically and internationally.

Furthermore, there's so much to do and see everywhere around the city, most diverse city in the world, quality education/health care (although that's pretty much every big Canadian city), top-tier restaurants (whether you're looking for Chinese, Italian, French cuisines or others), great vibes all around the city at all times (whether you're near Lake Ontario, in night clubs or just walking on the streets), low crime rates, friendly people, great infrastructure/architecture, etc.

There's literally nothing bad about Toronto as a city itself, it's one of the best cities in the world in my rather biased opinion, but in terms of sports, it definitely doesn't coincide with the rest of the city's upsides.

not sure about that one chief

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad