Is too much emphasis placed on good skating?

Fulcrum

Good luck making and recieving a pass with poor skating:

1) Getting in the right position (facing the puck- agility, balance, speed)
2) Keeping your Balance when making a good pass (especially under pressure)
3) Taking a step and keeping your balance when a pass comes in ( you see this problem at the amateur level exposed- people falling when trying to recieve anything that is not on the tape)

A good passer is more valuable than a good skater, but a good passer cannot be a poor skater IMO.

gifted88

Dante the poet
Feb 12, 2010
Guelph, ON
I won't go as far as to say skating is overrated, but it isn't as big a deal as people make it out to be.

Couturier fell cause he didn't have elite speed, but he was probably the best prospect at protecting the puck and working the cycle, both of which don't require elite speed.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
I think too much emphasis can be placed on FAST skating. You can be a good skater (mechanics wise) and not be a top end burner.

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
Good luck making and recieving a pass with poor skating:

1) Getting in the right position (facing the puck- agility, balance, speed)
2) Keeping your Balance when making a good pass (especially under pressure)
3) Taking a step and keeping your balance when a pass comes in ( you see this problem at the amateur level exposed- people falling when trying to recieve anything that is not on the tape)

A good passer is more valuable than a good skater, but a good passer cannot be a poor skater IMO.

I'm not sure that's what the OP is getting at. I think he's talking about fast/gifted skaters (Stamkos) over adequate but perhaps somewhat slow skaters (Tavares).

In the end, like Tavares, mediocre skating ability can be overcome if one has top-notch vision and creativity. But good skating ability is always nice to have.

Mr Lahey*

THIS. You don't skate to make the game faster and dictate the flow. You need to pass the puck. Passing is - if not much more important - at least one level more important than skating. Skating is hugely overrated, but what's even MORE overrated is hitting. If you take the puck away it's basically all the same if you do it by hitting or lifting the stick - the end result is your team gaining posession.

Skating is the difference between an NHL calibre player and a amatuer player.

Pentothal

Listen with one ear
Dec 30, 2008
It's not even close
I don't think skating is overrated, but it's interesting to note how many elite players have success without top-end skating. Like the last two Hart winners for instance.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Being fast and explosive is overrated IMO. But being mobile laterally and having good balance is crucial in an NHL player.

pdxshark

Apr 26, 2006
Portland, OR
I think the assumption is generally that a player can be effective at the junior/college level with marginal skating but not at the NHL level. Its true that you can pass the puck faster than you can skate but if they know they can outskate you, it takes away your options as a playmaker.

I can easily see players sliding because of skating because its a major question mark as to whether their game will translate well to the next level.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Depends on the prospect's game. For a power forward like Lucic or cycle oriented player like the Sedins, great skating is less important (though the Sedins are extremely shifty/mobile, and pretty strong on their skates for their size, I'd say they're very good skaters in all regards except speed, their speed is average). But if you play a game predicated on beating guys wide outside, generating offense off the rush, etc., like a Hossa/Cole/Gaborik/etc. type, then a lack of great skating is a massive concern.

Most NHLers are pretty great skaters, even the guys touted as "skating concern" types like Tavares and Spezza are often still pretty good skaters, very shifty/mobile, but just with decent instead of great speed. A huge number of prospects fail due to skating that is just not NHL level, I don't think it's overrated at all. Anyone who has played competitive hockey can tell you how important skating is, it's easily the main difference between bad and good players at every level I've played at.

Skating is not the only thing you have to look at with a prospect, but it's definitely one of the most important attributes for most types of players. Plenty of player are able to get by without it, just as plenty get by with poor size, or a poor shot, or a lack of toughness, etc., there's no prototypical NHL player, but skating is very important.

BudMovin*

Dan Paille has an amazing blend of speed, power and balance but he is a 4th liner. Marc Savard has neither of those qualities but he is a point per game player when healthy. I think that good skating is a really nice asset but it shouldn't make or break a prospect.

SuperUnknown

Mar 14, 2002
Visit site
Reading the play and hockey sense is more important than raw skating skills. Plus, now with the improved teaching techniques, it is easier to improve someone's first step, agility and skating stride than 10 years ago.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad